Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen Exhaust for Sedan 6MT WRONG SIZE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Exhaust for Sedan 6MT WRONG SIZE!

So I finally took my Sedan 6MT to Performance Nissan to get the Stillen Catback exhaust put on. All was going well until the installer called me out to show me that the Exhaust joint on the passengers side from the resonator wasn't fitting correctly with the pipe that attaches to the muffler with the flamge. The pipe coming out of the resonator is about 2 1/2 inches, the pipe it is suppose to connect to with the joint lock is about 2 1/4 inches. The installer tried to tighten it as much as he could, but no luck, there is still a gap and an exhaust leak!

I asked them to put a different one on, but they didn't have anymore in stock, so I asked them to call Stillen. Apparently Stillen was shocked that there was such a disaparity in pipe sizes and wanted Performance Nissan to take off the exhaust and have me come down to their office so they could see what was up with it, and keep it new in case they neede to replace the entire exhaust. I wasn't about to wait another hour, and Performance Nissan wasn't to keen on spending the time taking it off with being compenstated. I decided to just keep it on as is, and head down to Stillen Monday morning. Apparently they are going to fix or replace it at their cost. What a bummer, but I am sure they will take care of it. I Jason at Performance Nissan was really surprised as they've done Sedan exhaust installs before and didn't have any problems. I was also told that Stillen wants to make sure that there isn't a general problem with the manufacturing of the pipe. All other parts of the exhaust fit fine.

I was also told that most installers probably wouldn't have said anything about the fit problem, so I guess I am glad they were upfront about the problem. I'm very curious to see what Stillen has to say and does to fix the problem. I'm taking a day off tomorrow to go there, so we'll see.

Other than that, I have to say, that the power increase is noticeable, and I like the way it sounds outside the car.

Inside sounf however is going to take some getting use to, as it is noticeably louder even with a light tap to speed up in 6th. I was on my cell and two people commented about the sound. I realize that most people like the sound, but I hope those who stated it mellows a bit are right, otherwise I may need to look into options to quite it down a bit (dynomat extreme maybe--trunk or whole car)?

If anyone has had any problems with the Exhaust installation let me know...

Old 04-05-2004, 02:34 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Stillen Exhaust for Sedan 6MT WRONG SIZE!

Well that stinks. But I thought the stillen system is 2 1/2" pipe diameter from end to end, that's really odd.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt