Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

How to make my exhaust louder...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 01:46 PM
<object height="373" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hohxRr0j_hc&hl=en&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6& border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="373" width="425"></object>
What do you think, found it on youtube.
Stock cat back with Kinetix Cats

Last edited by Red_G35; 05-04-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2008 | 10:22 PM
So, I installed the long tube stillen intake on my G. I have to say it was not as easy as I thought it was going to be. I'm not a slouch in the garage by any means but I did have to trim the nipple hoses that stillen provided so they would fit into the stock connecting pipe and on the stillen intake (I was surprised I would have to do this as it did not mention it in the instructions). It was about an hour and fifteen minutes total to install both air filters, check for leaks, and cleanup etc.

I will gladly say that I am satisfied with the sound and high rpm range increase in pull. It may not be a huge increase but the sound is worth it. I did lose a hair response time "which in my experience is normal". it was worth the money. I am satisfied right now, not to mention broke. I dont think I will need to install anything else for a while but we will see how long this high lasts untill I need to get something else like those HFC or stillen exhaust.

I posted up some videos of before and after on youboob. The videos were taken on my canon sd630 digital camera since i didnt want to convert from high8 digital format. The videos dont really do the install much justice as it is a little louder and meaner sounding in real life.

If anyone has questions about the install or in general let me know. http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=hackme88

Dont flame me but I have noticed a reduction in MPG, however I am aware that my right foot got a lot heavier due to the fact that I enjoy going fast and hearing the sound of the intake. I will try to drive like grandma this week while going to work (all highway driving) and compare the old MPG versus the new (in theory it should be better MPG with the new intake. right?

Old 05-05-2008 | 12:26 AM
|
Originally Posted by Red_G35
What do you think, found it on youtube.
Stock cat back with Kinetix Cats
I like it. Keeps the stock tone with a louder exhaust.

Old 05-05-2008 | 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by vipers
I like it. Keeps the stock tone with a louder exhaust.
I agree, seemed like the direction you wanted to go. I bought some crawfordz HFCs, going on this Wednesday-Thursday. This video persuaded me.

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:52 PM
|
I agree, seemed like the direction you wanted to go. I bought some crawfordz HFCs, going on this Wednesday-Thursday. This video persuaded me.
Please let me know how everything goes, as well as the install. I'm still thinking of going with a testpipe though.

Old 05-08-2008 | 06:49 PM
i have headers and res-testpipes with stock cat back and it sounds nice, but i do have a little rasp for 500rpm's or so... i've heard that when i put the rest of the exhaust on it'll go away. if you want a sound clip i could get one for you. just lemme know.

Old 05-09-2008 | 12:12 AM
Installed my cats today. I like it, doesn't seem that much louder. But I will say they are louder and I have rasp when they're cold. I'm happy... cant wait to hear how they sound when I get my y pipe installed.

Last edited by Red_G35; 05-09-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2008 | 12:40 AM
i have an injen short ram intake i am looking at the turbo xs non resonated test pipes... think it will sound nice? if not what test pipes would? got stock exhuast

Old 05-14-2008 | 12:40 AM
i have an injen short ram intake i am looking at the turbo xs non resonated test pipes... think it will sound nice? if not what test pipes would? got stock exhuast

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:53 AM
Im running Strup non-resonated test pipes with stock exhaust and there is a noticable difference. It sounds a lot meaner and deeper, i compared it to a stock 350z that i was driving and i wasn't used to the quiet note of the exhaust without the test pipes. Right now im looking into resonated test pipes or HFC cause i just hate the rasp i get around 2.5-3k rpm but it does sound really nice otherwise!

Question, how does the HFC compare with resonated test pipes in terms of sound? Say if i slap on a pair of HFC would i get the same mean and deep sound i get from test pipes with a stock system?

Thanks
Jon

Old 05-16-2008 | 03:09 AM
Really Needs a Life
two words.

Straight Pipe.

Old 05-16-2008 | 07:14 PM
|
Installed my cats today. I like it, doesn't seem that much louder. But I will say they are louder and I have rasp when they're cold. I'm happy... cant wait to hear how they sound when I get my y pipe installed.
Yeah see this is why I'm leaning toward a testpipe...I'd rather not have to buy a Y-pipe along with this purchase.

Old 05-16-2008 | 07:15 PM
|
Originally Posted by ILLMATiC G35
two words.

Straight Pipe.
Correction: With a resonator

Old 05-18-2008 | 02:27 AM
use your stock cats and stock y pipe and get a custom 2.5 inch backing with no resonators..
extremly loud, no rasp, amazing look, cheap price.

Old 05-22-2008 | 10:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Trust me, we've all said that in one point of our lives. It's only a matter of time before HFC isn't enough to satisfy your needs (in performance and/or sound)

Yeah but you have to understand my history. I have had too many cars to spend a lot of money again. I'm only 21 and this is my fifth car. They have all been nice too

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to make my exhaust louder...