Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Modified K&N 350Z typhon intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 01:00 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Modified K&N 350Z typhon intake

This is a long post, sorry.

I pulled off my Injen CAI and sold it. I wanted a JWT pop charger system, but I wanted something that had more then a side heat shield and I wanted to have a system that would pressurerise at speed like the oem system.

I now have a heavily modified K&N 350Z typhon intake on my car. It use's a scoop mounted up front to feed a air box that encloses the filter. I got a great deal on one and figured I could adapt it to the G35. But I had no idea just just how far I'd go with the project to meet my goals.

1. I thought the filter box would be fully enclosed, it wasn't.
2. Front mounted inlet for the filter box cannot be used on the G 35
3. The inlet pipe from the scoop was only 2.5" and where it hooks up to the scoup itself, it's only around 2" in diameter
4. The mounting place on the 350Z for the front mounted air scoop does not exist on the G35.
5. If I used the metal pipe off the throttle body that it came with, I'd have a large hole around the filter in the air box which could let in warm air.
6. The carbon fiber lid to the filter box itself was no where close to sealing and only had 2 screw's to hold it in place.

This is how I made it into a sealed, pressurized cold ram air intake with Z tube.

1. I fabbed sheet metal to fully enclose the box and I made it sealed in the process.

2. I closed off the inlet from the scoop up front on the filter box and created a 3.25" hole on the side. I needed to feed through the same routing as any regular CAI would in a G35 to the filter box. I discovered that pvc drain line pipe has a true 3" inside diameter, no flow robbing corrugations and the fittings were thin and also had 3" inside diameter. I looked into aluminum mandrel bent air intake tubing, but I required a special series of bends, and ruled it out early on.

3. I used 3" piping to feed off the scoop. I also hacked off the 2" diameter outlet off the scoop and profiled it so it had a 3" outlet to match the pipe I had routed to it.

4. I fabbed a mouting tab for the scoop and placed it up front in a high pressure area where it will catch a lot of air flow.

5. I created a mounting plate to I could I could mount directly to the OEM MAF housing and also use a 350Z tube.

6. I ground the profile of the filter box to get a close seal with the carbon fiber lid, and used foam tape form a seal. I fabbed 2 additional mounting tabs so I could screw the lid down tight and seal. I used a system so I can unscrew the lid by hand if I need to.

7. Filter box does not fit properly inside the G35 engine bay, shaving down the top of the right radiator support was required, not much however, about 1/8".

8. The filter that came with the whole system was now to long to fit, plus I wanted to get a filter that was not closed at the top. I purchased a higher performance filter from K&N and used it instead.

It wasn't easy to do, and it was was more expensive then I'd planned.
K&N 350Z typhon intake $189 shipped
K&N RN-3003 filter $52 shipped
OEM 350Z pipe $55 shipped
Misc tubing, sheet metal ect @$35

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Modified K&N 350Z typhon intake

That looks great. A lot of work went into this mod. Well, how does is sound and perform? I always thought that the extra vacuum with the sealed air intake (OEM) would be a benefit.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Modified K&N 350Z typhon intake

Ever since I installed my custom exhaust on the car, the wonder full noise that the Injen made became a distint memory and this system is the same way. I'm sure if I reinstalled my oem exhaust, I'd hear the same things guys with the JWT popcharger talk about.

Power, hmmm haven't driven it much yet. As I put more miles on the car I'll be able to comment more. Does feel like I gained more power accross the board.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt