Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

installed plenum spacer ...WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
So I installed the blox plenum spacer today, after i bought it i read some bad reviews on it, and some good revies .

Since i already paid for it, i put it on today.

Took 30 minutes

First thing I noticed after install is the RPM's drop alot slower then before , I think it must be from the extra air that stays in the manifold after the throttle closes . Its nice between shifts im only looseing bettweeen 1~1.5k in RPMS.
any one else notice this ?

Also the car seems to pull alot harder over 5.5k rpms

And the car does sound diffrent, ( im running z-tube with a stock box
) , my stillen box is coming any day.

As far as heat, the manifold was untouchable after a long drive before the install.
After install i went a long run of some hard driving, and placed my hand on the manifold. It still was really hot and burned alil but i was able to keep my hand on it for a while.

I hope this thing doesnt melt, wish me luck guys. So far i think its a good 100$ spent

O and BTW im fukced, the mod bug has officialy bit me ..... Berk HFC's coming soon to
Did the 06 6mt sedan come with the revup or is that still the 280 non-revup. If it's revup, i think your gains might be minimum and it's your butt dyno playing a trick on your mind.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratm68
Did the 06 6mt sedan come with the revup or is that still the 280 non-revup. If it's revup, i think your gains might be minimum and it's your butt dyno playing a trick on your mind.
the 6mt has 298hp motor rev up...

Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Dude - you're totally blowing my mind. What?

Hah! I quoted the wrong post...

Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
the 6mt has 298hp motor rev up...
I don't think there's much gain with the revup motor. Maybe it's your mind playing trick on ya

Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by ratm68
I don't think there's much gain with the revup motor. Maybe it's your mind playing trick on ya

ya could be, it wasnt an expensive mod............... now if i spent 4-500 on a isotermal and didnt get much id be alil upset...

Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
Still the best bang for the buck mod out there for the G.
I completely agree.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I can't wait to install mine!!!!

Still waiting on my Ztube.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
hey guys i have blox spacer for sale. pm me if your interested

Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The spacer alone on a Revup engine doesn't do much, you really need the modified lower plenum.....MREV.....or a non-revup lower plenum to get the most out of it. I too think your butt dyno is playing tricks on you.

4-500 for an isothermal spacer? wow, where are you shopping? It's $220 for the 5/16 and $295 for the 1/2".

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey, why is the BLOX spacer so much cheaper than the motordyne one...
Do you get the same gains from both?
the motordyne 5/16 spacer is around $200 - $230
The BLOX 5/8 spacer is $100

Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
QUALITY.

The difference is alot like the differences in exhaust systems.
China made exhaust systems easily cost 1/4 to 1/2 as much as Japanese or American made exhaust systems. All exhaust systems are made of bent pipes but when you look closely at both, the differences and details become apparent.

It would be easy to cut spacer manufacturing costs to 1/4 by outsourcing all the manufacturing to China, but Motordyne would never do that. The Motordyne niche is in quality engineering, reliability and 100% customer service.

Blox and Motordyne are worlds apart in these areas.

Sometimes cutting corners won't result in adverse affects. Sometimes it does.

When quality control is not strictly maintained it can results in things like this.
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showpost...3&postcount=13

Quality, reliability and customer service is Motordyne's top priority.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Wow...
thanks for the info i had no idea they were only plastic.
ill buy motordyne for sure.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wouldn't plastic be a better insulator for heat? Isn't that one main point for the spacer?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^IIRC it provides better air flow to the front two cylinders.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by elayman
wouldn't plastic be a better insulator for heat? Isn't that one main point for the spacer?
Yes, but there are significant differences in the overall thermal design that affect plenum heat soak.

The Skunk and Blox plastic spacers only provide thermal isolation to the upper plenum.

The Motordyne Iso Thermal and Copper Iso Thermal provide thermal isolation to both the upper and lower plenum.

The lower plenum has much more total exposed surface area than the upper plenum. The lower plenum also has intake runners with much higher flow velocities, higher turbulence and thiner boundary layers. Overall, the total heat transfer is much less when the upper and lower plenum are both thermally isolated.

There is also one other important issue to consider that the plastic spacer companies do that Motordyne would NEVER do. (Leave the throttle body unheated when driving in very cold weather.)

Nissan (Infiniti) intentionally heats the throttle body for safety reasons. This is to insure the throttle body doesn't get iced up when driving in very cold or snowy weather.

If for example you were driving on the freeway in cruise control for ~20min in very cold or snowy weather, an unheated throttlebody could have ice buildup inside of it causing the butterfly valve to be frozen to the open position.

So when you tap on the gas to release the cruise control, the ECU will try to close the throttle body and stop fuel flow to the engine. But if the butterfly valve is stuck in the open position, air will continue to flow into the engine causing lean out and stalling. This of course would never be a good thing to happen while driving.

Every throttle body, in every car, of every major automotive manufacturer in the world, the throttle body is heated specifically to avoid this condition. It is a corner that should never be cut. Its a corner Nissan doesn't cut. Its a corner Motordyne doesn't cut.

1) The Motordyne basic spacer keeps the entire plenum hot all the time. (just like stock)

2) The Motordyne Iso Thermal is switchable. It heats the throttle body only when you need it. But the CCV must be switched on when it gets cold outside. If you live in a place like California, Florida, Texas or Hawaii the regular Iso Thermal is a good option.

3) The Copper Iso Thermal is fully automatic. Just install it and forget it. It always gives the best results without adjustment and is always safe. If you live in Alaska, New York, Canada, Montana, Colorado or any place where it gets similarly cold... use the Copper.

The thing to take from it all is that Motordyne Iso Thermal spacers have a lower overall heat transfer than the plastic spacers and they don't introduce the risk of throttle body freezing.

Iso Thermal is one of many other engineering details where design quality makes a difference.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 01-28-2009 at 02:12 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: installed plenum spacer ...WOW!!!