Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Need Help ASAP after Spacer Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help ASAP after Spacer Install

Just installed 5/16 iso-thermal spacer and copper t/b heater on my 04 g35 sedan 6mt. I have tried all the resets mentioned in the Motordyne install manual and am still getting a really rough idle and SES light. It idles very low and sometimes stalls out when coming to a stop and shifting into neutral. Once the car is moving it runs amazing and I can feel the additional power. Could I have messed something up in the install causing the above mentioned issues. I did clean out the throttle body with some T/B cleaner but did no move the throttle butterfly. I'm desperate now and any help you guys can provide at this point would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
check if you are missing a screw on your plenum.. it's not too uncommon to drop on inside i just hope you ddint haha

Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
check all your vacuum hoses, make sure your MAF is plugged in properly. . .

Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
It sounds like you have a good size leak somwhere.

Big leaks are easy to find and fix.

Check for the leak and fix it. It has to be something big if it makes your car stall so it won't be hard to find.

Call me if you have any questions.
(661) 993-5111

I'll help out.
Tony

Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by s_saeed
Just installed 5/16 iso-thermal spacer and copper t/b heater on my 04 g35 sedan 6mt. I have tried all the resets mentioned in the Motordyne install manual and am still getting a really rough idle and SES light. It idles very low and sometimes stalls out when coming to a stop and shifting into neutral. Once the car is moving it runs amazing and I can feel the additional power. Could I have messed something up in the install causing the above mentioned issues. I did clean out the throttle body with some T/B cleaner but did no move the throttle butterfly. I'm desperate now and any help you guys can provide at this point would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Did your oil filler funnel (rubber housing around the oil cap) get stuck inbetween the lower and upper plenums? I did that, just have a look.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I had some issues too...I disconnected the battery, unplugged the throttle body connector then reconnected everything and did the resets...I've gone 500 miles since without an issue...knock on wood.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I did a quick run through and everything seems to plugged in ok. I'm going to disconnect the battery and throttle body connector like mtodde mentioned tomorrow and try it again. It's getting real frustrating now. The car idles but its rough and it will occasionaly stall out when coming to stop. Do you guys have any pointers on how I can check if I have a leak somewhere??

Old 09-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Run your hand along the outer circumference of the plenum sealing surfaces. If you run your hand over an area that has a leak you will hear a change of sound as you run your hand over it.

Another possibility is you may need a throttlebody idle calibration reset. Try that.

And trouble shooting over the phone is a lot faster/easier than over the keyboard too.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by s_saeed
I did a quick run through and everything seems to plugged in ok. I'm going to disconnect the battery and throttle body connector like mtodde mentioned tomorrow and try it again. It's getting real frustrating now. The car idles but its rough and it will occasionaly stall out when coming to stop. Do you guys have any pointers on how I can check if I have a leak somewhere??
Did you use a torque wrench to tighten everything down? Maybe your ztube is leaking. Did you reconnect the air hose on the bottom side of your intake?

Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Problem Solved!!! I started it up and within 2 mins I could tell the throttle body gasket was leaking between the trottle body and the copper heater gasket. I just took the copper heater part out and put it back together, no more leak! I'm gonna get a new gasket and try to put the copper heater back in before winter, i'm gonna need it, it gets pretty cold up here in Toronto. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.