Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Disappointed in Stillen intake performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disappointed in Stillen intake performance

Have we reached a consensus on whether the battery reset and the pedal reset do the same thing. Again all i see is speculation.

We should name this forum speculativedrivers.com

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, 04 Z Suspension

Old 05-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Premier Member

The first reset I ever did yes made a huge difference. But the 2nd one with the battery unplugged for 12+ hrs made hte car a dog. It didn't wake up for a while longer like I said.

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, K&N Drop In
Track: 14.32 at 97.6 mph 2.196 60ft (1900 miles bone stock, with bogging)

Old 05-19-2004, 06:44 PM

If that's true Russ then I can conclude based on all of the speculation that:

Pedal ECU just is a pedal position reset (since it's drive-by-wire). The hard reset does reset the ECU and leaves the car running ridiculously rich at first. After time it leans out which increases performance.

This is a believable scenario. I never saw a noticable difference after doing the pedal reset.

Although, I bet if I drive 500 miles without resetting I'll end up at the same place someone would if doing a reset.

Like I said IN THE FIRST POST. I'll let everyone know what i think after a week, that should clear any of the speculation regarding the ECU. I'm just not a member of the camp who puts SO much faith in the ECU.

On a similar note, people install FI kits on G35's and the ECU's seem to adjusts appropriately.

I think there are some excuses buried in all of this ECU adjustment talk.

Even if it comes out where I end up making more power, I don't know if I can stand the noise.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:48 PM

there is no way your car is "loud" with just he Z tube and stillen air box. i think you need to really go in a "loud" car and then you will realize your car is actually pretty tame.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:55 PM

I do not want to get in deep discussion about an intake, but the best thing to do is to go dyno your car on the same day (granted the conditions will be more than likely closer and your variables will be more dependent) and swap between the intakes. This is the best measure. People hear different things, see different things, etc. etc., but documentation on paper/video works the best. For me anyways.

B. Silver| Loaded 20" Iforged Rims - Flux| Pop-Charger | Z-Tube | GroundingGear Equipped | Borla TD | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 75 Shot / Purge Light - Crawford Plenum & Cats

Old 05-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Banned

i dont get why you would lose power in low end where there is no restriction of airflow even to the stock system. a modified intake should only give gains at high rpms but leave low end alone shouldnt it?

04 5AT / TB / Willow / Premium / clear corners / Z-tube

Old 05-19-2004, 09:09 PM

Ideally that would be best, but due to all of the speculation around the ECU that would clearly not present the necessary proof.

You'd almost have to test 30 days apart on the same dyno with the same relative temp and humidity, and this would still not be ideal.

All I really have go with is feel at this point.

Also, regardless of what a dyno puts out, the car FEELS slower and sounds A LOT louder. This was not what I intended to benefit from a $200 mod.

With that said and the fact that I don't race or dyno my car for bragging rights, then dyno's and actual numbers DO NOT matter. What matters is the smile on my face when I drive it.

The Z tube alone was a worthwhile mods for me. I was pleased with the sound difference and the power gains across the board.

Even more worthwhile was the 350z suspension. Single handedly this was an amazing mod for the money. It looks better IMO and it certainly feels more confident and feels like it handles better. I don't need to put it through a slalom and compare numbers to know that; I just know it.

The intake has not left me with that confidence, so why own it? I'm not looking to produce dyno numbers for bragging rights or to beat the next guys G35. I'm looking to have fun driving my car in a reliable and responsible fashion. The intake doesn't seem to be fitting the bill for me in that sense.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:39 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The intake has not left me with that confidence, so why own it? I'm not looking to produce dyno numbers for bragging rights or to beat the next guys G35. I'm looking to have fun driving my car in a reliable and responsible fashion. The intake doesn't seem to be fitting the bill for me in that sense.

<hr></blockquote>

All of your reply's to this thread sound like a broken record. If you do not like your Stillen Intake; then sell it, trash it, whatever you like with it and quit posting on every other reply & then advising your doing a follow up on it. Obviously you do not like the mod, so get rid of it. Just stating your "reply's" to this thread say the same thing over and over. You should have left it alone on your first post.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm looking to have fun driving my car in a reliable and responsible fashion.

<hr></blockquote>

Why mod at all?

I do not want to dicect your reply's. =)

Just curious why you keep griping about it. Let it be if you do not like it.

B. Silver| Loaded 20" Iforged Rims - Flux| Pop-Charger | Z-Tube | GroundingGear Equipped | Borla TD | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 75 Shot / Purge Light - Crawford Plenum & Cats

Old 05-20-2004, 12:28 AM

That's because everyone comes up with lame speculative replies.

You have the choice to continue not reading it; I'm not whoring up the entire board with my comments.

In fact, my comments may be useful for other people contemplating buying the part.

On a final note, I do see a value in modding a car. Above I listed my appreciation for two other mods. It's all about return on investment for me. I've spent over $25,000 on car mods in my life, I have a good judge of well spent money and not.

I'm just sharing some of my experiences; had this thread been around last week I wouldn't have purchased this unit.

I'm not at all saying this mod is worthless, I'm just giving a honest review of it from my standpoint. I have to imagine there's at least a few G35 owners that have similar taste as I do. On that note, I'm sure there are G35 owners who would love this piece, it is nicely designed, installs cleanly, and does produce certain results (up top gains).

Old 05-20-2004, 09:26 AM

How is your comment useful to others?? Your own judgement could be speculative as well regarding the noise level and power loss.

I like the way you jump right into the conclusion with big "Stillen intake sux" title, and calling everyone else's opinion to be speculative and you refuse to use dyno graph to measure whether it does make your car lose low end power or not.

So obviously your opinion changed from "wait for my one week followup review" to "can't stand the noise, have to sell it". Why did you mod the car anyways??? Any performance related mods will increase the noise level somehow.

On the other hand, I just installed Z-tube and Stillen in my coupe over the weekend, I am a daily driver as well and hardly go above 4000rpms in local driving, i didn't notice the excessive noise from Stillen or power lose/gain until I took her to highway last night. Other than that it feels pretty much like stock intake for my regular rush-hour driving. That's my "speculation".

If you really can't stand the noise from intake, I think stock intake and K&N filter combo might be the way to go. My $0.02

Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 AM

Ok, I've already disclosed why I don't have a dyno, I also never said the piece sucks. I just stated I'm disappointed in the mod.

I'm sorry to hit a sore nerve in your spine. Captain Obvious, in my first comments I stated these were OBSERVATIONS.

Also, we've already discussed that dynoing mods isn't concrete either (due to all of this ECU speculation).

Coupes are louder then Sedan's stock, so I'm sure mine is more evident then yours. The point I'm trying to make is for me I'm not trying to make my car louder. If it's a side-effect of making more power then I'm fine with it. At the same time, I'm not just blatantly trying to make more noise with my $35,000 vehicle (that was what I did in high school with my Tercel).

Everyone is so pissed that I'm sharing my experience with the Stillen Intake. I guess I will not post any negative information in the future, it is clearly of NO value to most of you.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:48 AM

We repsect people's posts, but calling other people's replies "lame speculative replies" just doesn't make your speculative observation more convincible.

Old 05-20-2004, 11:33 AM

I've read the responses, but don't let them make you jump to conclusions. There are people that will find this information usefull, just as I do.

I'm sure some people might discredit my opinion because I don't even have the car yet, but the fact remains that I'm doing as much homework as possible to decide what is going to be money well spent (IMO). Personally, I'd rather save the money if the Stillen Cold Air Box doesn't produce noticeable gains or doesn't provide a significant benefit when combined with other mods such as headers, exhaust, cats, plenum, etc.

As you can see from the mods I just listed that noise isn't a big concern to me, especially when gaining power. Personally, I've wanted a nice import 6 cylinder breathing through headers for several years now. That's just my twisted sense of satisfaction and desire for aural pleasure (that's spelled with an "au" ).

But the bottom line for me is that I would like to know how performance was effected; be it from a real dyno or the butt dyno. If the opinions swing overwhelmingly to one side or the other, that's all that I'm really concerned about. Give others the benefit of the doubt and let us know if there is an improvement in performance after you get some more miles on it.

I will be watching for your update and reading other people's responses to determine if this is a mod I should include or not. I'd prefer to save money, but with as little as can be done to provide significant gains on this car, short of FI, I'm willing to spend the money for modest gains... ...providing they aren't at the sacrifice of a usefull power curve!

Don't hold your comments just because they aren't flattering to the mod or they aren't agreed upon by others. I'd like to hear the pros and cons of all of the mods in order to decide what combination will suit my wants and needs.

Looking forward to your update and future comments by others.

Future G35C Owner... ...Never too soon to think about modifications!!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:07 PM

Anybody in SoCal is welcomed to PM me to take a test drive in my G to ascertain the power/noise level of my mods for consideration before buying.

If you don't like noise, then the exhaust mods are not for you. I have had nothing but happy grins after my Z-duct and then the Stillen box.

I am now running:
<font color=red>Stillen box</font color=red>, <font color=blue>z-duct</font color=blue>, <font color=purple>crawford v5 plenum</font color=purple>, <font color=green>crawford cats</font color=green>, and <font color=orange>stillen dual exhaust</font color=orange>. And yes, I am ready to Brown Bread the whole dang car. (sorry ruben, i meant "accumat")

I saw immediate results when I reset my ECU back in the beginning, but now there is little change and just a steady pull, which KICKS in (seriously) at 3500/4000. Yes, I get stares at redlights, mostly from soccer moms and other daddy's driving minivans wishing they were behind MY wheel instead.

I can't drive through a mall, parking lot, or stop light without someone saying "nice car", "tyte", "damn!"....

in the end, report what you FEEL, mod how you LIKE, and LOVE what you do... and change it ALL if you don't like something.

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 05-20-2004, 12:44 PM

Good last couple of posts.

To BigRon, the future G owner, you may like the CAB then. If noise is of NO concern and gains up top are important then it's a great piece. You will most likely not find a nicer, cleaner intake piece out there.

To SoCalTed, I do notice a bit of a pickup at 3500-4500 where as before it was more of a gradual delivery. I just happen to prefer the more broad power band then the swooping turbo like gains.

It only takes 15 minutes to swap so I may do some back to back testing, find someone in town with a gtech or something.

I'll keep you all posted. My bet is at the end of the day the Stillen will be FASTER due to its gains up top.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in Stillen intake performance