Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Frugality: Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Frugality: Exhaust Tips

I had a temporary Rice moment, embarrassing. :P

http://www.autobarn.net/rafltrslcute.html

If anyone was looking for a flame-treated exhaust tip. Here it is!

Last edited by Uda880; 04-11-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: It was a reasonably bad idea. :P
Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go for it! There's simply nothing like a car or sport truck with a customized look! Imagine a '93 Civic pulling up to you at a stop light and the owner rolls down his window and gives you a thumbs-up and he goes "Hey nice muffler tips man, I have the same ones!". You're gonna love those tips man, they're priceless.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I just absolutely love your sarcasm. It was an honest question, and I suppose you decide to call me rice? I guess I learned my lesson, either go big or go home, right?

They do look nice. They're the tips a lot of people have been looking for, with the Titanium flamed edging, but made for stock exhausts types, without the 3" inlet and 5" out diameters of the XO2, HKS, Fujitsubo, etc etc.

Last edited by Uda880; 04-11-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
^^^ well some people will flame, but its go big or go home... all depends on your budget. you can always keep saving up until you get an exhaust or different part, dont worry about being stock... modding takes time... but the tips look kinda eeehhh i wouldnt do it... thats my 2 cents

Old 04-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I was considering going big.

Right now I'm still stuck between:

1. Buying 5/16" MD Spacer, Z-tube. Assuming at New Prices: $300 shipped. <- Most reasonable option.
2. Adding HFC onto the previous package, totaling out at around $500 - $600.
3. But then I could afford a Apexi Catback for that much, but then have to consider Y-Pipe replacement ($300).
4. I'm also enamored with the Single Canister Exhaust route, but after looking into it, the only feasible way is to either A) Buy a spare midpipe and have muffler people bend/weld with HKS Stand-alone Muffler ($400), OR buy a new single canister cat-back option (Lower-end at >$800).

Modding is not cheap. Rather precarious situation considering I have to pay >$40,000 to attend Uni for another year or so.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of that look either way (blue exhaust tips), but I love how everyone on here busts your ***** if you don't buy the most expensive thing out there. So its apparently rice if you buy a $45 exhaust tip that's blue on the end, but its somehow NOT rice when you buy an HKS exhaust that looks exactly the same on the end, because you spent $1500 on it? lawlz

Old 04-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 on the Motordyne spacer. As for the tips, that would be a no. If you want blued tips like that, get an HKS Hi-Power or similar that comes with it. Really, those tips are on the same level as fake Brembo caliper covers. Why pretend to rock something you dont got?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you dont have the cash to mod your car correctly, dont do it. The g looks fine stock when you put lame parts on it then it becomes something worth laughing at.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:13 PM
My point is, how is it NOT ricey to have a freakin blue exhaust tip, even if its on an HKS exhaust? Or the titanium/rainbow colored lips on wheels? I don't care if you spent $3000-4000 on the wheels, to me that looks like complete ***, but its "cool" or "JDM" because you spent a lot of money on it lol.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Reidonly
My point is, how is it NOT ricey to have a freakin blue exhaust tip, even if its on an HKS exhaust? Or the titanium/rainbow colored lips on wheels? I don't care if you spent $3000-4000 on the wheels, to me that looks like complete ***, but its "cool" or "JDM" because you spent a lot of money on it lol.

someone finished their cup of hater-ade

Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
It's a status/image thing.

It's actually one of the biggest draw-backs of interacting with the BMW community and apparently it's here too. I guess if you buy a "premium" car, it's always going to have some sort of the same mentality.
Same thing happens: Don't buy muffler tips or do the golf-tee mod, go buy yourself a Remus exhaust. Constantly looking down at those who drive "***" cars, saying that only they have the ULTIMATE driving machine, and making the terrible reliability record as the price to pay for "superior" handling.

I'm bitter, as you can probably tell. I spent a lot of money modding my 330ci, with LEDs and exhausts, intakes, CF parts in random places, and not to mention the small fortune paying for shipping + installs. The result? Bimmerfest people hated it, e46fanatics liked it, and to add insult to injury, the car broke down so much I decided to Lemon law it, and sold all the parts at a drastic mark-down.

So do I want to do it for the G? Probably not, I bought this car because it was comparably reliable, relatively strong and fast, had 4 seats, 2 doors, looked amazing, and it was right in my price range - because my next option would be to spend $42,000 on a slightly used IS350, and this was the more fiscally responsible option.

So the point? This post made me realize that I bought this car because it was fiscally responsible and logical. I should not spend my money like I did previously, and somehow the mod bug just picked up when I got the G.
/END RANT

Point: I'll just stick with my MD spacer and Z-tube, and call it a day.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:30 PM
So it's not ricer when you install a $2,000 exhaust on a $40,000 car (new) in order to make it look closer to a GTR?

I think if you look at the price range ratios, even the most amazing mods that a person can do on a G35 can be scoffed at by those who own a GTR/Ferrari/Porsche/etc etc.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:50 PM
i think it depends how you mod your car, i think any auto enthusiast can appreciate a clean looking automobile and if they didnt jus cuz they have a ferrari that makes them a narcissistic *****, so who even cares, i've been to plenty of high class meets and i get complements from guys who drive around in half a million dollars. Bottom line if you care that much about what people think about you and your belongings you really gotta think some ish over.

and for the record a clean modded g35 will turn more heads than a stock carrera that every other middle aged business man's got.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I suppose you could say its a status thing or image thing and to a certain degree, you are correct. There is the image of your tips, which is all those tips will do. Then there is the image of the HKS, along with the added sound of an HKS, along with the performance gains of an HKS, etc, etc. Mind, you could go with the cheaper XO2 HKS copy but cheaper has its problems as folks have talked about rusting, dulling of color that goes along with it.

If your not a fan of the Blued tips, there are companies out there that just have polished tips for their systems. I guess what I'm saying though is its function over form. If all you want is a look, then by all means go for it. Otherwise, save the money and buy an exhaust system that does right by what you want as well as looking perfect for your car.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
[I was going to type some sort of response detailing the errors of why people mod, but then I realized everyone has their own reasons, and that there really shouldn't be any logical explanations for why this behavior occurs.]

To each their own I suppose. I let this get out of hand, and I must take responsibility and say that I'll probably be keeping it stock.

Why stock? Because once you change anything on the car, even if it's just a Z-tube or a Plenum spacer, it spirals and snowballs. Every time you're on the boards, or on the internet, you're always looking for parts, thinking of ways to add new things. It's logically a waste of money, but it's emotionally rewarding. I just don't want to be sucked into the money pit again. :P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Frugality: Exhaust Tips