Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen catback dual exhaust's shipping RSN!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen catback dual exhaust's shipping RSN!

I've been waiting for this one ever since I got my G35c on 1/17/2003.

I just <font color=red>happened</font color=red> to check their web site about 5 minutes ago.

There it was. I called and pre-ordered. There'll be 25 systems in the first batch and mine will be one of those.

Pricing not yet set but expected to be slightly more than the $1,150 for the 350Z.

Shipping within the next 2 - 3 weeks.

YESSSSS! YESSSSS! YESSSSS! YESSSSS! YESSSSS! YESSSSS!
[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Screamin' Daemon - L5AT

Old 03-30-2003, 03:34 AM
Re: Stillen catback dual exhaust's shipping RSN!

SWeet! I was wondering if they had that system for the G35 coupe. Alex told me they have it, it's the same as the Z's just extended tips.

Is it dual pipes from the headers back? I see that little cross section near the front of the car, but did they just do that cause it's the only place on the under carrage that it could make it through?

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 03-30-2003, 08:28 AM

I was told that the extension is between the XPipe and the mufflers since that's where the G's wheelbase was extended by 7.9" compared to the 350Z. (The G's 12.8" longer overall length might account for the requirement for extended tips.)

The Stillen is, I believe, the only true CatBack exhaust for the Z/G. Has to be a true CatBack because the "Y" pipe is eliminated in order to create a true dual exhaust with the "X" (crossover) pipe.

As you know, the "X" crossover pipe is the current method of increasing the exhaust "evacutation" capabilities of a true dual exhaust system (causing the obsolesence of the older "H" crossover pipe design dual exhausts like the Flowmaster CatBack system I put on my '94 ImpalaSS).

The Xpipe is designed to allow an exhaust "pulse" to take the path of least resistance when it exits the Xpipe. The positioning of the Xpipe is as much a tuning factor as a "where will it fit" factor. This is because you want the Xpipe close to the engine in order to maintain the proper back pressure (eliminating the torque loss experienced by those exhaust systems which just eliminate resonators and/or just add high flow mufflers) while at the same time allowing for the longest length possible for the larger diameter dual exhaust pipes (giving the pipes a greater vacumn effect caused by the evacuation of the preceeding exhaust pulse).

Fortunately for us, Nissan/Infiniti designed the Z/G with dual cats into a 'Y" pipe. Many vehicles of today put a single cat behind the "Y" pipe because it's cheaper. This means that because of Federal law prohibiting the modification of the OEM style cats before 50K miles, one can not change a Ypipe -> Cat system into a true dual exhaust system. My '00 Ford F150 had this style of exhaust. That's why I didn't bother to change the exhaust system on that vehicle. Changing such a system into a faux dual exhaust is just for looks/style and/or sound, not for performance. The Ypipe and single cat is still the choke point in such a system and you can't change to high flow cats until after 50K miles. Even after 50K miles you can't change to dual cats and a true dual exahust because the ECU would have to be redesigned to process 2 pairs of O2 sensors instead of just the 1 pair.

Anyway, Stillen claims 13hp and 14ft-lbs increase at the crank. I'm going to have the guys who dynoed my G swap the exhaust and immediately run another dyno. Expect pics and video of the swap and dyno after that day. [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

FYI, all of the above is based upon what I've read over the years on the many forums I've monitored and participated in while learning how to mod whatever vehicle I owned at the time.

YMMV.

Screamin' Daemon - L5AT

Old 03-31-2003, 07:16 PM

No update.

They are supposed to call when they've set the price. Since they've already taken all of the necessary shipping, billing and credit card info, I hope that they're serious about the "Real Soon Now" shipping.

As far as actual production date, no, they didn't tell me that. They only told me that they were getting ready to start their first batch of 25 units.

As far as the ship date is concerned their web site says "sometime" in April and their representative said 2 - 3 weeks.

But hey, I've worked for manufacturing companies before. They <font color=red>always</font color=red> make their planned production start dates. <font color=red>Yeah, right!</font color=red> It could be May or June before they ship. Hopefully it will be the next few weeks 'cause by the last week in April my schedule gets tight and finding time to get this mod and a dyno done will be difficult. Fortunately it's the same guy doing both so it should be less than a day to get this done.

Screamin' Daemon - L5AT