Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Simple mod to add a little more induction noise and throttle response to OEM airbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Did he like it? I'm sure it's not diffiuclt to cut. It's a type of plastic. You happen to have pictures of this handy though?
It’s an extremely hard plastic and IIRC he said it wasn’t real easy (this isn’t to say it can’t be done, obviously).

No, I don’t have pics of his car... but I've seen it in person many, many times... I'm sure there are pics of his engine bay somewhere... try looking up back issues of Sport Z project G35, there are probably pics in there (not of this mod, but you can probably see it).

Basically he cut in the same area the Z hole is... just below the power duct... its a much smaller hole than Z of course (since its a smaller area)... its one of those mods that is probably impossible to quantify - so pre & post dynos arent gonna tell you anything and its unlikely that even butt dyno would notice. But in theory it should help to get additional cold air (just logic stipulates this)... so I've intended to do it eventually.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Yeah wishful thinking but I thought I'd ask anyway. I suppose a hole cut in the verticial portion of the support would work. But I'd assume a duct would have to be made to make sure the funnel to the airbox was as sealed as it practically could be.

What's your thought of just simply removing the resonator below the airbox? Not a high pressure area but alot easier.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Does this mod add power? Highly unlikely. I've datalogged the MAF voltage and my results were inconclusive on before and after runs over the course of 300 miles. Granted the density altitude in Kansas City has been hovering in the 4000-4800' range for the past 10 days, but I don't think that's going to influence the data other than the car is just down on power by about 10%. I think the reason the mod adds noise is because more air is being drawn through the less restrictive duct rather than the over radiator snorkel, effectively making it perform more like the 350Z airbox.
Have you used a pressure gauge to check results? Really simple test to do.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Yeah wishful thinking but I thought I'd ask anyway. I suppose a hole cut in the verticial portion of the support would work. But I'd assume a duct would have to be made to make sure the funnel to the airbox was as sealed as it practically could be.

What's your thought of just simply removing the resonator below the airbox? Not a high pressure area but alot easier.
I think cutting a hole will only be semi-advantageous when using Stillen heat shield... with the OEM air box the unit is sealed in the area that the hole would flow to. My car is in body shop right now and I figured I'd cut (or have cut) prior to paint... but after viewing, and talking with caskyline and considering there is a likelihood that I will use OEM box, I decided not to cut.

As to the lower resonator - I was going to remove that and seal the bottom of the box (and Stillen shield) - I mentioned it to Dave(O) quite a while back and he basically said "I don’t think you're gonna like it"... apparently he tried it and I don’t recall if it was sound or performance (I suspect sound) that he said got funky... I can’t think of a theoretical benefit to removing the resonator - as I wouldn’t consider using that area as a source to draw air from... IMO drawing air from ground level isn’t advantageous since during the majority of the year here that air is much hotter than the level of air coming through grille. My reason for wanting to remove was to use the space for a couple other ideas (not related to intake).

Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
I'm not sure I understand why you'd cut the lower part of the duct. That part is basically blocked behind the metal crossmember (for lack of the official name), so how does it increase the amount of air that flows into the airbox? I just looked at my spare, and if anything, I would think cutting the top back to maybe just in front of the words "Power Duct" would be a better option. You'd have to extend the foam back an inch or so, and possibly build it up a little higher so it stays in contact with the hood, but that's relatively easy. You'd also be cutting through the rubber seal piece, but the new foam would cover that up.
Sounds like a good idea. Give it a shot.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
It's easier to run with a plug in the resonator. I ran that setup for quite a while a few years back and there is some purpose to that resonator. The intake is actually deeper with it open and the motor does feel better. It's not a huge difference.