Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Research on Air intakes for the G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010 | 10:14 AM
|
Research on Air intakes for the G35 Coupe

I have been looking at buying an intake for my G. I have done lots of net research and looking at just about all the popular intakes. I really believe that the R2C intake is the best intake for our coupes. If you take into consideration every thing that has been said about intake efficiency then you may agree with me. Number one the MAF sensor is right down there close to the filter, this way there is less heat soak on the tubing, the intake is injection molded plastic rather than an aluminum material which could potentially heat up. I almost bought the Takeda intake for its design is excellent, if you look closely it has the "horn" right behind the filter which shoves air down the tubing, but the Takeda places the MAF sensor half way up the intake, which is closest to the hot engine, also the place where the MAF connects is a smaller diameter than the rest of the intake....what is the purpose of this? Furthermore the R2C intake for the 03-07 coupes have a square shape, after some research, (funny i remembered this from when I sold Kirby vacuums over 12 years ago) but air travels faster over a flat surface rather than a curved or rounded surface, also it is a nice size diameter for air to travel through. Finally, the R2C intake has the best possible filter of any other manufacturer, I suggest to all with aftermarket intakes to order at least the replacement filter. After looking up and researching air filters, short track, dirt track, and sprint racers use the R2C filter almost exclusively. Who knows what other racers use these filters, but independent tests do show that R2C is totally right about the filters keeping their ease of flow even when dirty, oh and the clean up of the filter (although I have yet to clean one) seems to be easiest of any filter on the market.

Old 04-16-2010 | 05:19 PM
sounds like you pretty much sold yourself on that intake

you should go ahead and get it

personally, if i could do it again i'd either get a ARC induction box
or a AEM/INJEN cai.

Old 04-17-2010 | 12:16 AM
|
I think I might. Does anyone know if this thing will void my warranty?

Old 04-17-2010 | 01:22 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Good luck with the intake. I believe it flows better than other filters...but most racers plan on rebuilding engines much more frequently that people who use their car as a DD.

There are other ways to deal with heat soak issues... ie: Heat Tape Products.

search around.

Old 04-17-2010 | 04:53 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
I have been a big fan of the R2C since I bought it. Just an FYI.

Old 04-17-2010 | 11:14 AM
|
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I have been a big fan of the R2C since I bought it. Just an FYI.
Were there any noticeable differences? I hope it will open up the sound a bit. I guess exhaust is next on my list. But then again I really want some new wheels and some coilovers and strut bar and well you know.

Old 04-17-2010 | 11:33 AM
Seems a bit pricy. Is it really worth $300+? How much better is it than a Z-Tube/upgraded filter combo?

Old 04-18-2010 | 02:38 AM
R2c FTW! True, they are a bit more pricey than most other intakes, but the amount of R&D they put into each system is pretty incredible. I was their test car for the 6th Gen (2004-2008) Maxima. Their filters are absolutely unmatched. The dirt track guys swear by these... and the military has been using their filters for 20+ years.

Old 04-18-2010 | 08:07 AM
Premier Member
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Seems a bit pricy. Is it really worth $300+? How much better is it than a Z-Tube/upgraded filter combo?

Buckeye,

There are several factors that led me to this intake. The filter as previously mentioned is one of the best on the market. The filter is huge and flows great. Also the air box seals completely against the hood so the only opening is from the front of the vehicle to help keep out heatsoak. The filter is washable and reusable so no oil is involved. I have 2 filters so I can swap them out to clean.

If you buy just the front half of the set up like I did, it costs about the same as the pop charger. I paid under $130 for mine. The whole set up is a waste of money to me, their tube isn't worth $170 lol. I have tried the pop charger (lasted all of 3 weeks for me), the stock set up, the rev up airbox, and the R2C. I normally don't champion intakes because of my sketicism of them but I really like the one I have. So is it worth the money, hell yes but only if you don't buy the whole kit.

Old 04-18-2010 | 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Buckeye,

There are several factors that led me to this intake. The filter as previously mentioned is one of the best on the market. The filter is huge and flows great. Also the air box seals completely against the hood so the only opening is from the front of the vehicle to help keep out heatsoak. The filter is washable and reusable so no oil is involved. I have 2 filters so I can swap them out to clean.

If you buy just the front half of the set up like I did, it costs about the same as the pop charger. I paid under $130 for mine. The whole set up is a waste of money to me, their tube isn't worth $170 lol. I have tried the pop charger (lasted all of 3 weeks for me), the stock set up, the rev up airbox, and the R2C. I normally don't champion intakes because of my sketicism of them but I really like the one I have. So is it worth the money, hell yes but only if you don't buy the whole kit.

I looked a little deeper on the site and found that front half setup you're talking about. Their site needs some serious work, because the "Products" menu at the top doesn't always have the same options, so finding the front half took a little time. It retails for something like $180, but $130 would be closer to what I'd be willing to pay, if it's worth it.

Didn't you have a dry filter with the rev-up and Z-tube at one time? How does this setup compare with that one? I've got a K&N, and a re-charge kit I've used once, but I've been thinking about getting rid of it once the kit is used up. Going to go with a dry filter of some kind, or maybe a better intake all together.

BTW, is that your engine bay? When did you start to go all bling-bling on us?

Old 04-18-2010 | 04:53 PM
Premier Member
Yes I did have a dry filter with the revup box and the R2C is superior IMO. If you are considering it PM Marinelli Motorsports, that's where I got mine. JR is a great guy and will give you the best deal he can.

Yes that's my engine and it's getting better as we speak. Working on the motor and engine bay is my spring project and since that picture I have added a chromed plenum and braided hoses for the catch can. I have a polished throttle body and cam covers on the way as well. I'll post up some pics next week when they are installed. I'm going to also paint my battery covers LS and I can't decide what route to go with them. I think a rattle can job might end up costing almost as much as a body shop job so I'm in the process of costing out both options. This summer comes powder coating my wheels and I am seriously considering swapping all of my seats out for black including coupe seats up front.

So many wishes so little time/money. It fvckin never ends

Old 04-18-2010 | 05:22 PM
Xet
I would have to see some dynos to prove that this thing performs any better than a ztube+kn combo. I highly doubt it will be significantly better than the ztube combo, especially for that price. Intake is only for sound and cool factor imo, not to try to get any gains.

Old 04-18-2010 | 05:41 PM
Premier Member
I believe you're right. I'm not trying to say I got mad power from it, but I'm convinced that I didn't lose any power in the switch. And I gained a better intake sound and a better looking engine bay IMO.

I like the way the pop charger looked and sounded but the power loss was unacceptable.

Old 04-23-2010 | 03:19 PM
|
I just got my R2C intake yesterday. I haven't had a chance to install yet. I will do that this weekend. It kinda sux sitting there in the box just waiting ot hook that baby up.

I ordered mine from Kyle(Houston). He works for importperformanceparts.com and I got a great price on the intake. About $134.00 cheaper than anywhere online even better than the advertised price at importperformanceparts.com.

The R2C Intake looks to be very well built and should last as long as my car stays natural breathing. I may try and use my filter if I go Forced Induction.

PM Kyle(Houston) and see if he can get you a great price also.

Old 04-23-2010 | 03:27 PM
|
Originally Posted by caketech
sounds like you pretty much sold yourself on that intake

you should go ahead and get it

personally, if i could do it again i'd either get a ARC induction box
or a AEM/INJEN cai.
WOW the ARC is really $675.00? that is crazy and not even half as good of a design as the R2C. If I had $700.00 to throw away I would by the R2C for $265.00 and have $435.00 to spend else where.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Research on Air intakes for the G35 Coupe