Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

X02 fitment issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
X02 fitment issues

I know this is a replica and I understand there are fitment issues, but mine seem SO much worse than what everybody else has.

I installed the exhaust and everything seemed to go pretty smoothly, although it was indeed pretty hard to get everything to align properly. Job was finished and my tips barley even come out past the bumper (while others are going past the bumper at least a few inches). Also my passenger side (unlike the usual driver side) is insanely off and is actually touching the bumper or is about 1-2mm off of it.

I fiddled around with the bolts loosening them up and trying to adjust the pipes and such, but nothing seems to do the trick. My main concern right now is trying to not melt my rear bumper. I look at everybody else's pictures and the only issue most people seem to have is the driver side is a little off centered.

Anybody got any ideas?

Also if you have pictures of the exhaust installed from underneath the car, that would be great help!

Last edited by sTeadFasT96; 10-04-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Tips not sticking far our enough just either buy different tips and install them or just pull yours out and drill holes further back so you can mount it sticking further out. A lot of higher quality exhausts do this same trick to let you choose how far you want it.

As far as it touching, that is a somewhat common problem there are a few ways to fix it:
1) You can have the hanger bent a bit so it sits in the correct spot
2) You can use the clearance fix (there is a thread about this problem on the HKS exhaust), basically you just use washers on the hanger mount to have it sit further down.
3) Whatever else you can engineer.

This exhaust is cheap for a reason and it is for the tips and fitment in the rear, but both are easy fixes and pretty cheap and after you have an excellent looking and sounding exhaust for a very cheap price.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just take it to an exhaust shop man. Mine is off a little right now to...idk if ya saw it the other night. Or try this...lol...stick a pipe in there and try to bend the exhaust. It's worth a try as it just needs to be tweaked a little bit. But, don't worry about your bumper melting it would take a lot for it to do that. My passengers side is actually touching the bumper a little and it's fine.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
T
As far as it touching, that is a somewhat common problem there are a few ways to fix it:
1) You can have the hanger bent a bit so it sits in the correct spot
2) You can use the clearance fix (there is a thread about this problem on the HKS exhaust), basically you just use washers on the hanger mount to have it sit further down.
3) Whatever else you can engineer.
Thanks for the advice! I remember seeing something about the washer trick but I couldn't get any clear details on it. Thanks for clearing that up. I was about to take it to a shop tomorrow cause I'm freaking out about melting the bumper.

Originally Posted by DG35coupe
Just take it to an exhaust shop man. Mine is off a little right now to...idk if ya saw it the other night. Or try this...lol...stick a pipe in there and try to bend the exhaust. It's worth a try as it just needs to be tweaked a little bit. But, don't worry about your bumper melting it would take a lot for it to do that. My passengers side is actually touching the bumper a little and it's fine.
Yeah but don't remember yours being nowhere near as bad. I just remember a few friends having their bumper completely melt a new hole because of the exhaust, and I'm not really up for that hah.

Also, I def want a clearer explanation on bending the exhaust with a pipe...I don't want the exhaust tips to end up disfigured trying this.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Xet
This is what I did to my first X02 I had. Just go to your local hardware store and get some washers or even a nut to use as a spacer between the hanger and the body. It's a good temporary fix.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Xet
Originally Posted by Jairen
This is what I did to my first X02 I had. Just go to your local hardware store and get some washers or even a nut to use as a spacer between the hanger and the body. It's a good temporary fix.
I've been running mine like that for the past 1.5+ years with no problems, I've meant to bend my hanger but I don't have a blowtorch or heatgun to heat it up properly. I think the thread about the HKS fix had to do with the HKS exhaust with diffuser touching, and I know people fixed that through the washer tip or bending the HKS hangers.

And to the OP I am pretty sure the other poster was talking about bending the hangers not the exhaust.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Alright, thanks guys! I'll give the washer trick a shot tomorrow. Really didn't think the fitment was gonna be so horrible judging from all the pictures I've seen

Old 10-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
go to an exhaust shop is your best bet, that's what I did to my XO2, its dead on center now

Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
what's the piping diameter for the xo2. stock diameter but just two exits? im thinking of picking one up in a few weeks and the guy thats selling it wasnt absolutely sure.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04OB6mt
what's the piping diameter for the xo2. stock diameter but just two exits? im thinking of picking one up in a few weeks and the guy thats selling it wasnt absolutely sure.
Stock is 2.25 I believe and the X02 is 2.5 with 3 inch tips.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
awesome thanks for clearing that up.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
I bent my hangars to get everything to align properly for my X02. No issues ever since.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:11 AM
So I used a small nut inbetween the hanger and whatever it's attached to on one of the 3 bolts and tightened everything up causing the hanger to be angled slightly and the exhaust is sitting dead even with the other side.

Looks great and no more worries about my bumper. Just not sure how long this will last with no issues because it doesn't seem like the bolt that has the nut doesn't seem to have really caught much tread.

I'll give it a more solid look tomorrow since I just did this at midnight. Thanks so much for the advice guys! Really appreciate it

Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Xet
Originally Posted by konxeptionz
I bent my hangars to get everything to align properly for my X02. No issues ever since.
Did you do it yourself? Did you heat first and if so with what? I'm thinking about getting back under there and bending mine correctly.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Originally Posted by Xet
Did you do it yourself? Did you heat first and if so with what? I'm thinking about getting back under there and bending mine correctly.
No heat at all. I actually kind of cheated tho, since we put my car on a lift and used a big cheater bar to bend the hangars down a bit. Then afterward, we removed the hangers and elongated the wholes to get more play out of them, to be able to center the exhaust since after we bent the hangers, it wasn't completely center anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X02 fitment issues