Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

CAI information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI information

Fellow G's -- help! After looking at and hearing about the Injen CAI, I am seriously considering getting one. My one hesitation is that I live in a rainy area (Eugene, OR). I see that the filter hangs right near the front grill where it is open. So, my question for those of you with car expertise is: Will the increased moisture/rain give me a problem? If not, I will order ASAP!! This is my everday driving car, so I do not want to cause any major problems for a bit of HP/nicer sound. Thanks in advance

6MT
Premium
Black/Black

Old 04-14-2003, 09:24 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: CAI information

Increased moisture and rain will not be a problem. Where you have to be careful is you don't submerge the intake and it sucks in water. This will SERIOUSLY SCREW UP your "G".

<font color=blue>Merlin</font color=blue>

Old 04-14-2003, 10:31 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah i am debating that same thing, maybe better off getting the stillen intake...a few less HP but its guaranteed to be water safe because its much higher up....

<font color=green>-Ramb0</font color=green>

Old 04-14-2003, 11:30 PM

a few less HP vs. a new engine. NOT a difficult choice for me!! I doubt I would ever submerge the front end - it rains here, not floods - but was interested to see what others thought.

6MT
Premium
Black/Black

Old 04-15-2003, 02:39 PM

my .02 is that anyone who completely submerges their Injen CAI shouldn't be driving a $30K car. First of all, you would be driving in a good 12-18" of water. It would be over the door sill level so if you had to get out it would flood in, your brakes would be so inundated and under water that you would have no brakes f/r, and it would be coming in to the engine compartment anyway around the lower belts and they would start slipping. The steam from the cat/muffler hitting cold water would be insane and if you were crazy enough to try and splash through at high speed a body of water 18" deep, you would lose control of the car probably and mess up your front end. I think for the most part it is a lot of worry over nothing - at least the water issue. After all - this isn't a rally car so why drive it like it is one. Just my .02

Old 04-15-2003, 03:27 PM

You could also get the bypass valve...

..pestilence..

Old 04-15-2003, 05:50 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

LOL rally'ing is fun [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
its not just about the water though, with the injen you'd have to clean the filter every 10,000 miles probably...because there will be TONS of rocks and sand and dirty and salt and dirty water hitting the filter all the time, whereas with Stillen's, you would need to clean the filter about half as often.
Thats just my educated guess, having prior experience with CAI and Short-Ram

<font color=green>-Ramb0</font color=green>