Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

E85.....anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E85.....anyone done it?

I am bolting on the procharger kit next week with the addition of bigger ingectors and an inline pump. I will need to get a tune on the COBB anyways, so was kicking this idea around. Has anyone tuned a boosted G on ethanol? Experiences? Do you think this would be a good/bad idea? With the higher octane and the boosted setu, I would think it could help me?

Gas prices are $1.00 less per gallon for E85 blend. I also understand that it takes more gas to run the car. So will it end up being a wash? Or will gas prices rise to over 5 (its $3.75 now) a gallon and E85 remain about the same?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 AM
B T
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm no expert on the matter, but I've heard that the increased fuel addition can lower the intake charge temperature allowing for more boost without detonation. If you take your car on road trips and can't find any E85 you might get screwed. Check this forum:

E85performance.net

Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The first thing to look into is finding E85 fill-up stations near you, otherwise it isnt worth it unless its for a dedicated track car.

If you want a cooler charge temp, just look into getting a methanol injection kit. They are oddly enough more practical and they are available as complete kits from companies like Snow Performance. I just suggest not skimping on a methanol kit because the last thing you want it a failure. Also i suggest being tuned for meth injection on one map and regular fuel on another map in the event your injection kit fails for whatever reason.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
I've seen cobb do some nasty tunes on GTRs, just converting to E85 and tuning is netting over a 100 HP in most cases. From what I understand you have to upgrade your fuel system to handle the huge amount of flow you need since it requires more fuel to run properly. The E85 does burn cooler so you can run more boost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.