Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

True dual piping vs. single pipe dual tip.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
True dual piping vs. single pipe dual tip.

Ok, I've tried searching but didn't yield very concrete results, a lot of opinions and theories..

I would like to know if there is any sort of real dyno record as to whether a true dual really is much better than a bigger diameter stock single pipe configuration? I can see the true dual being more beneficial, but with all the weight in the extra piping it makes me wonder.. also the whole thing with N/A vehicles needing back pressure to retain scavenging needs is sorta beyond me as i'm coming from a turbo vehicle...

I guess my question is whats really the difference between a true dual 2.5inch piping vs. a single 3inch piping with a dual tip muffler...

I was trying to come up with a custom exhaust layout.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Neither is really any better than the other. IMO, I'd prefer a single pipe setup due to the weight advantage and simplicity.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you made this thread as I was wondering the same thing, except I was wondering about a completely single exhaust.

Is there really a difference in terms of performance?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM
if at least the performance is close enough, the single pipe should fair slightly better since there will be less weight in terms of the extra piping and extra muffler... at least thats what i assume...

Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A big time Nissan tuner near me said from all there experiance with the motor a big single is all you need( to twin outlet of course) Turbo or NA.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
True dual, this way you can add an X-pipe to it as well

Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Dave's right, one's not better than the other. after a proper tune you'll yield similar gains but the single will be lighter and the dual will sound better.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
The weight saved is very minimal and not worth even considering unless you are also gutting your car. Now if you prefer it for looks then that's different, but I hope you are doing something about the extra cutouts for the dual setup.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by ryanm8
True dual, this way you can add an X-pipe to it as well
I do like the idea of that x-pipe being there.. lots of ppl seem to like the x-pipe deal.

Originally Posted by SDGenius
Dave's right, one's not better than the other. after a proper tune you'll yield similar gains but the single will be lighter and the dual will sound better.
What really is the difference in sound? it seemed like most of the single pipe exhausts i've heard on youtube seem to retain that VQ motor growl or "pur" better than the duals.. i could be wrong..

Originally Posted by Xet
The weight saved is very minimal and not worth even considering unless you are also gutting your car. Now if you prefer it for looks then that's different, but I hope you are doing something about the extra cutouts for the dual setup.
what do you mean the extra cutouts?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 PM
well, if you do a straight through single setup, there'll be a lot more drone and possible rasp. most systems sound great from the outside, but you'll be inside dealing w/the extra "noise." if you plan on doing a single pipe to a larger muffler w/2 tips similar to the OEM or Nismo setups, then it should sound fine but you'll have more weight and less flow than a straight through single. also if you plan on any type of single pipe then make sure you get or make an HR-style y-pipe.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 PM
yea, i managed to "find" myself an HR y-pipe from an 08 350Z so thats covered.. I was thinking about keeping the exhaust OEM style with the dual tip muffler instead of a single straight through.. Not a big fan of loud exhausts and want to keep it as quiet as possible but with just a slight increase in the exhaust note... was thinking about doing resonated test pipes as well, since we dont have much of an emissions law in the county i live in, in TX.. plus, i'm a state inspector so i can do it myself.. lol.

So yea, I was thinking resonated test pipes, to a flowmaster muffler in OEM exhaust configuration. i think it'll definitely be enough to free up some flow there while saving a bit of weight..

Old 06-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Good info for those who dont know Mark. How have you and the family doing? I miss getting car envy everytime you drove by my house. lol btw its Phil, i changed my screen name on here

I had the coupe mid and hr y pipe (I have a sedan), it was nice and not to loud and a little bit more power. Now i have the stillen TD exhaust and it is amazing. It is a noticeable difference and its a little bit louder under normal driving conditions and has a nice deeper VQ sound. Now if you floor it it can and will get loud (interior noise is not loud) while maintianing the VQ sound. I wont go back to a single after having a TD exhaust.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The power potential is more about the size and design more than it is about single vs dual.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
also a good point Jeff92se

Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by bound4VIP
Good info for those who dont know Mark. How have you and the family doing? I miss getting car envy everytime you drove by my house. lol btw its Phil, i changed my screen name on here

I had the coupe mid and hr y pipe (I have a sedan), it was nice and not to loud and a little bit more power. Now i have the stillen TD exhaust and it is amazing. It is a noticeable difference and its a little bit louder under normal driving conditions and has a nice deeper VQ sound. Now if you floor it it can and will get loud (interior noise is not loud) while maintianing the VQ sound. I wont go back to a single after having a TD exhaust.
What up Phil!!! we're good, glad to hear you're still modding the sedan. def keep me updated on her. hope things are going well in Tx w/the fam as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: True dual piping vs. single pipe dual tip.