Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Choosing an exhaust, looking for people in-the-know.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Choosing an exhaust, looking for people in-the-know.

So you've clicked on this thread to help a 2004 G35 Coupe driver in distress (Or whatever kind of distress someone can be in when theyre lucky enough to own one of these suckers ). I've been reading around about exhaust and theres an overwhelming amount of info and different opinions out there. There are a bunch of different systems out there that look like they might fit the bill but they each have their ups and downs and I'm not sure that I know enough to know what all of them are.

Anyway, I have a few factors in mind that I hope lead me to a specific exhaust based on the extensive and generously shared knowledge present here atG35D.

1. Horsepower, horsepower, horsepower - this is my primary interest.

2. Noise - I like a nice sound, but I don't want something loud. I'm not looking to make any more noise than necessary. All other things being equal, I'll take the quieter of two options.

3. Installation - I want something that installs easily with no modifications/welding required.

Based on these specs, where would you guys say I land? Thanks in advance for the suggestions, none will go unread!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Nismo s-tune...will let others chime in but that's probably what you want

Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Motordyne

Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by JaE35
Nismo s-tune...will let others chime in but that's probably what you want
Kind like the sound on that one, but isn't the HP output a bit on the low side? Not speaking from knowledge, just what I've picked up reading.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you barely get any HP from any of the exhausts available.. you're better off by going what you like the best according to sound, looks and price.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Won't gain much, if any HP with the Nismo.

I would say the Motordyne Gamma exhaust if you can find one (it's discontinued). Almost the same gains as the TDX2, but quieter. Or maybe the Motordyne VQ exhaust, but again, is discontinued and will be hard to find.

The Motordyne's will provide hp, but the TDX2 may be too loud for your taste if you want something quiet.

Trending Topics

Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Aah, I really like the Gamma. But I cant find it anywhere I do think the TDX2 is a bit too loud for me. Is there anything else out there in the same line of sound and hp output as the Gamma?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
MD would be the exhaust for your goals, of course it depends on what your price range is...

Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
MD would be the exhaust for your goals, of course it depends on what your price range is...
i guess you might say that depends on how much its worth the money. probably 1500 ish max but i dont mind only paying 500 either. im just looking for the right system. as md goes, i cant find anything but the tdx 2.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by MP45
i guess you might say that depends on how much its worth the money. probably 1500 ish max but i dont mind only paying 500 either. im just looking for the right system. as md goes, i cant find anything but the tdx 2.
If you want pure performance your money would be better spent on ART pipes rather than a catback exhaust system. Pairing a catback with ART pipes would be even better but it really depends on your total budget and what else you want to do with your car. Do you have spacer and MREV2 (if you are revup) already? Do you want to conserve money to do suspension or something else as well?

Posting your current mods, what kind of area of performance hp or handling or even looks such as wheels and bodykit you are interested would also be helpful. Also what your overall budget is.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I just got the S Tune and it sounds amazing. It is just right for me. A little louder but deeper and has a growl. I have the MD spacer and Z tube. I haven't tried it with my Pop Charger yet. As far as gains, I really didn't feel anything.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
If you want pure performance your money would be better spent on ART pipes rather than a catback exhaust system. Pairing a catback with ART pipes would be even better but it really depends on your total budget and what else you want to do with your car. Do you have spacer and MREV2 (if you are revup) already? Do you want to conserve money to do suspension or something else as well?

Posting your current mods, what kind of area of performance hp or handling or even looks such as wheels and bodykit you are interested would also be helpful. Also what your overall budget is.
Thanks a lot for the help Xet. Your advice brings up a few questions for me which maybe you can help me find answers for if you get a chance!

1. Are ART pipes legal? I live in Ohio and we don't have e-check, but they do replace the cat, right? Is that an issue? What kind of gains am I looking at with ART pipes and stock exhaust?

2. I have a 2004 5AT, so its not a revup. Nor do i have the spacer yet, though i plan to get it. I bought the JWT+z-pipe but Im having second thoughts on the pop charger due to loss on the low end and possible water intake, etc. Would I be better off with the stock intake with a high-flow filter and only adding the z-tube than with the pop-charger?

3. In the end, there's a lot Id like to do with the car but Im gonna have to do it one step at a time.
- copper iso spacer 5/16"
- Window Tinting
- 19" Staggered Wheels - still trying to figure out which ones I want
- An inch or so of lowering
- upgraded sway bars
- exhaust
- sound system & ddin
- body kit is basically last on my priority list and may never happen

I know Im going to be laying down some cash and I want to make sure I do things right the first time.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
How much do you have to spend?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Jairen
How much do you have to spend?
Enough to get the job done right but not enough for the best of everything. Im looking to fulfill a purpose, not a price point atm.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Choosing an exhaust, looking for people in-the-know.