Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Kinetix resonated test pipes + Borla exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Kinetix resonated test pipes + Borla exhaust

I got my Kinetix resonated test pipes installed today and I must say I love the way they sound paired with the Borla exhaust. I have had the Borla for over a year and although I liked the deep throaty sound, it just seemed like something was missing. The resonated test pipes definetely added some dB's and a hint of rasp. IMO the hint of rasp is a good thing as the Borla is about the most conservative aftermarket exhaust out there. Its still not an annoying sound (although I suppose opinions vary there is absolutely nothing ricey sounding about it) and I didn't notice any additional droning cruising in the lower RPM's.

On the down side, they will have to be swapped out for emissions as I doubt they would pass the sniffer and would certainly fail any visual inspection. I shouldn't have to worry about that for a couple years though. Also, there is a faint un-burned gas smell common with test pipes. I did notice it but it wasn't obnoxious or overpowering. It might bother some people but I really don't mind and I have no problem dealing with it. I would recommend hi-flow cats instead if you are worried about the smell and you might even be able to get pass emissions with them.

Install was a bit tricky but its not too bad if you have the right tools. Luckily I had access to a lift and air tools which really made it very straightforward. The only underside bracing we had to remove was the bracket that connects the stock cats together and is not used with test pipes. While it would be possible to do on jack stands and hand tools, I can see a lot of cursing ensuing with this scenario as some of the nuts are in hard to reach places and really torqued down.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's great, Nate... it sounds like you're enjoying them - I know for the deal you got, they were definitely worth it!

Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 PM
What will happen to the warranty with test pipes on? It seems that the warranty would be voided, but not sure on that.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Its not like they can deny all warranty work just because there are mods on the car. The failed part has to be directly caused by the mod to affect the warranty. If my tranny fails I would like to see them prove how test pipes were the cause of it. Exhaust mods are relatively safe and there isn't much that can go wrong. Of course, if your exhaust is rattling due to an improper install then I doubt the dealer would fix it. The real problem with test pipes is getting past emissions testing and the gas smell.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:28 PM
i installed my test pipes under jack stands and let me tell you this..i will NEVER do that again...well maybe i will, but still....ive never been burned so many times and had my knuckles slammed against foreign objects like i did for that tedius (SP) 2 hour install!!! overall it was a great add on, but im sure my neighbors kids learned a few new words that day LOL....btw how did u get to the top bolts on the cats? i had to makshift a 4 ft extension out of mini extensions and went though the top of the engine bay...

Old 01-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by severedties
i installed my test pipes under jack stands and let me tell you this..i will NEVER do that again...well maybe i will, but still....ive never been burned so many times and had my knuckles slammed against foreign objects like i did for that tedius (SP) 2 hour install!!! overall it was a great add on, but im sure my neighbors kids learned a few new words that day LOL....btw how did u get to the top bolts on the cats? i had to makshift a 4 ft extension out of mini extensions and went though the top of the engine bay...
Ya, you don't want to do this right after driving your car because those cats will be HOT. I went through the engine bay for the 2 bolts on each side with the nuts toward the front of the car. It was fairly easy with 2 people, an impact wrench, 3 ft of extensions, and a swivel socket head. That is why I didn't have to remove the rest of the bracing that some people do. You might listen extra careful for exhaust rattles. From where the test pipes are bolted to the headers there is nothing to support the exhaust all the way back until the first rubber hanger. My Borla exhaust hits the rear crossmember when I go over big bumps.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by 1nate7
Ya, you don't want to do this right after driving your car because those cats will be HOT. I went through the engine bay for the 2 bolts on each side with the nuts toward the front of the car. It was fairly easy with 2 people, an impact wrench, 3 ft of extensions, and a swivel socket head. That is why I didn't have to remove the rest of the bracing that some people do. You might listen extra careful for exhaust rattles. From where the test pipes are bolted to the headers there is nothing to support the exhaust all the way back until the first rubber hanger. My Borla exhaust hits the rear crossmember when I go over big bumps.
my exhaust is fine...ive had my test pipes and hks exhuast on for a few months and no rattles (knock on wood)