Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

g35 coupe exhuast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
g35 coupe exhuast

ok well i dont wanna sound like a compelete newbie i have a 2005 g35 6mt completly stock untill i recently just installed non resonated test pipes as of right now im not crazy about the sound due to alil raspy-ness . i was thinking about getting a megan racing y-pipe and leaving the stock cat back but not sure if it will give me a deeper tone growl that i want or would it just have the same sound ive searched all over the internet to find opinions but cant seem to find any good info . do i need just the ypipe or both the ypipe and aftermarket catback to get the deeper growl im looking for?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 PM
any input would be helpful

Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
i don't know how much of a change the ypipe will make. probably not worth the price + install.

i'd go for a full catback.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 PM
if you dont like the raspyness, sell the TPs, put the cats back, and just get a catback for a change of tone.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 PM
i wanna read about anyone esle using test pipes and ypipe combo / t/p, y-pipe and cat back combos

Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
i had non-reso TP, megan y-pipe, and topspeed exhaust. it was loud, and raspy. replaced the TP with stock cats, and its much better.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by simplycleang123
ok well i dont wanna sound like a compelete newbie i have a 2005 g35 6mt completly stock untill i recently just installed non resonated test pipes as of right now im not crazy about the sound due to alil raspy-ness . i was thinking about getting a megan racing y-pipe and leaving the stock cat back but not sure if it will give me a deeper tone growl that i want or would it just have the same sound ive searched all over the internet to find opinions but cant seem to find any good info . do i need just the ypipe or both the ypipe and aftermarket catback to get the deeper growl im looking for?
I tried what you did, tps and y pipe, didn't do ****. As MANY member on here,or any smart g owner will tell you. Cheapest and best way to get great deep noise is get a z-tube and drop in k&n air filter. For under hundred bucks. it takes ten minutes,and opens up much more air flow. Next step that makes a difference in sound and up to 15hp gain is plenum spacer, again its only bout 100bucks and u can DIY in about half an hour.

Read through the forums on here,they have an endless wealth of knowledge. good luck bro

Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Their is a combo of brands with y-pipe / hfc's / CBE somewhere that shows which combinations produce rasp, and which do not. Gotta search tho.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I agree with nbarkins. The Z tube alone will make a big difference in sound. It's really, really easy to install. As far as an intake, there are many out there. I tried the Pop charger and it made the car even louder with a cool little "Pssssst" sound.

There is a link on here that has just about every brand exhuast combo you can think of. This link is what helped me decide on my exhaust. I love the sound of a G and my exhaust keeps it the same just louder, deeper and looks baller. I took off my pop charger because it made my car too loud (with new exhaust) for my taste. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was gonna go with a custom made 3" SS mandrel bent exhaust after test pipes, HR style ypipe and single universal 3" SS high flow catalytic converter welded after the Ypipe. That way, you get the added torque of the HR 3" yipe and a little more sound deadening and cleaner exhaust gasses with the single stainless HFC. I was going to have a performance exhaust shop make the mandrel bends and weld on the biggest Borla proXS muffler to follow the stock transverse configuration. That way, the sound will be deeper and hopefully less rasp. Then I had nice looking Magnaflow SS tips waiting. If done PROPERLY it still won't be cheap. I'd estimate between $750-$1000 depending on how nice you want things done. I also had a non revup manifold and plenum spacer waiting for my already installed Ztube and K&N panel filter. After all was said and done an Uprev custom dyno tune would top off my basic mods.

That being said about a month later I almost totaled my G35C and realized all this mod bs wasn't worth it for only a few HP. The parts still lay in boxes lol. The car was repaired nicely thank goodness. Maybe they will eventually be installed, but if you ask me the car will never be fast short of forced induction. After FI, it will never be as reliable or comfortable as stock. If it's a DD like mine, just maintain it and keep it looking mint. After a few more years, people will start appreciating a clean, well maintain near stock vehicle.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm guessing the G35 is going to be daily driven, if that the case you don't want something too loud otherwise it get annoying. If you planning on modding the exhaust system you should do the whole thing and not just the y pipe and test pipe. If I were you I would do a full catback include y pipe and stock cats or true dual exhaust and stock cats.