Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Question about 05 G35 Sedan Full exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about 05 G35 Sedan Full exhaust

Hey guys, I have been searching around and had great finds on all the exhausts made for the sedan but I am very confused about the rest of the exhaust system. Long story short, I was curious on a couple of questions that I couldn't figure out any answers to so I was hoping you guys could help. Thanks in Advance and I apologize if I blindly passed a good thread, but I honestly couldn't find what I was looking for.

I was looking at the ART pipes and am really wanting to head towards that direction. Unfortunately I don't want to fail emissions testing nor deal with the hassle of swapping them out, so my question was how many catalytic converters do we have? If its 2 cats that are replaced by the art pipes, is that why Motordyne has a XYZ pipe with a HFC option? If so, doesn't this require extending the o2 sensor and possibly even not using the second sensor? I would really like to keep everything as close to factory as possible so if this was the case I guess I'm stuck with HFC's from FI , Berks, etc?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Couple answers for you. We do have 2 cats (one attached to each exhaust manifold before the Y-pipe). You will fail emissions testing with the ART pipes without some work, and depending on whether or not your state/county does visual inspections. The ART pipes do have O2 sensor bungs (if you look closely at the pics on the MD site you can see them. The XYZ HFC module does not appear to have bungs for O2 sensors but either way it's not difficult do extend the O2 sensor wires (it's 4 wires if I remember right, cut and splice in a longer section, then heat wrap and you're good).

A lot of your concerns (aside from the visual inspection, if there is one and the person even knows what they're looking at) can be addressed with Osiris, or similar tune. It's possible to fool the computer into think everything's OK and it won't throw codes which is what many states are looking for.

The following users liked this post:
jsimonk (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Would it be possible to pass emissions with ART pipes and the XYZ HFC module without having to extend the o2 sensors to the HFC module and instead leave them in the ART pipes? I will be getting a tune very shortly after this (Osiris) but I just wanted to make sure one Cat down there would be efficient if anyone has had any experience with this that would be great. Thanks again for the assistance

-Simon

Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM
It will be fine after the tune, but before the tune I don't know. I don't have ART pipes on my car so I don't know if they throw a code or not. If you're very worried I would say either hold off until the next inspection is done or hurry up and get it tuned lol.

There's also a sticky thread for the ART pipes where that particular question might have been answered, might want to check it out if you haven't already, or post this specific question there.

jsimonk (05-05-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Don't know if you already got all your answers, but recently had a buddy state that ART pipes won't throw a code 99% of the time. Can't guarantee it's accuracy but I tend to trust him lol. Hope it all works out.

jsimonk (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I am still doing a bit of research and have gotten it down to 2 routes I will be taking. Thank you to OBsessed for your contributions. I am now just tryna figure out if anyone can confirm only running a MD XYZ HFC module and pass emissions? If so I will be looking to run ART pipes and XYZ HFC module. If this doesn't pass emissions I guess I am stuck going either BERK or FI HFC cats and a XYZ resonated y pipe.

-Simon

Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Simon I answered this in the ART thread. You're taking a chance with any HFC, either the module from Motordyne or an aftermarket brand like Berk. NONE are guaranteed to pass, especially with the sniffer test but some do some of the time. The only cats that are guaranteed are the OEM cats if they are in good shape.

So if NV has the sniffer test you have 2 choices: take a chance with an HFC or leave the stock cats on and go aftermarket from there. If you go HFC I would highly recommend the ART/XYZ with cat option. Sounds great and makes more power than a branded HFC add on.

jsimonk (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Do you think having the HFC module with the ART pipes are about the same luck I will have with another brand HFC cats? That's my main issue now after reading on the ART pipe thread for a few hours. Thanks for the help and really appreciate everyone's input. I just found out from what I have been reading, 96' and up only do obd-II tests so I think I should be good as long as the roadside detectors don't catch me, that's the only reason I still want to run the HFC module. If having HFC and just running the HFC module are basically the same smell, I would definitely want to go the ART route. Thanks again!

-Simon