Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Trouble removing Kinetix velocity plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble removing Kinetix velocity plenum

I bought my car with a kinetix velocity manifold, and I am trying to remove it to install new camshaft position sensors. I used T handle wrenches to remove all but the last hex bolt on the passenger side underneath the runners of the manifold because a 5mm T handle and or a regular allen hex key will not fit in between the runners, it is too tight. I tried to get it from an angle, but the T handle and regular allen are sided all the way through, it is the same shape all the way up to the handle - so even if I tried to turn it to loosen the hex bolt, those sided areas will get stuck on the runners and won't turn. It's just too tight of a space. I have gone everywhere from local performance shops to custom bicycle shops, even to snap on tools, and nobody seems to make a T handle or allen hex key that is slim enough to get in between the runners. A socket with a hex key end won't work either even if i went under the runners and set it beforehand to feed in an extension from the top afterward, an extension won't fit in between by a long shot. The car has a full tank of gas so removing the fuel line that blocks the only other reasonable point of entry isn't an option. I looked on the kinetix website under replacement parts and it shows the hardware and wrench kit for the plenum, but the wrench pictured is no different than the standard 5mm hex key from pep boys. I know someone on this forum has installed/removed this plenum before and knows what to do. Can someone please clue me in on a tool which I'm describing and where I can find it? Or some other method of removing this thing? Ive looked at other installation instructions but none of them are detailed at all. They just say put the hex bolt in without bothering to tell how to get in between that last crevice. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I use the original wrench that cam with intake, its a ball tip hex wrench.

Harbor freight sells a set of ball tip hex wrench that should work

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...set-96645.html

Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM
The T handles and allen hex keys I used were all ball tip. That isn't the issue, the issue is that I can't get the wrench in between the runners to get straight enough with the bolt to loosen it. The space is too tight. I need a hex key that's thinner everywhere besides the very bottom where the ball tip is so that I can fit the wrench in between the runners.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I use one all the time to remove/install SSV intake.

Hex key is not tapered and consistent diameter, like I posted that's what Kinetix sent me with intake.

Just trying to help out, your welcome

Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 PM
I appreciate you trying to help but a hex key just won't fit into that space for me. What exactly do you do to remove and install the last hex bolt on the passenger side underneath the runners closest to the windshield when you have removed and installed ssv's?

Old 12-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
I appreciate you trying to help but a hex key just won't fit into that space for me. What exactly do you do to remove and install the last hex bolt on the passenger side underneath the runners closest to the windshield when you have removed and installed ssv's?
How about a picture pointing it out? Hotrodg35 has the part on his car, I'd be inclined to think he knows how to install and remove it. But giving other members who don't have the part some idea of the issue might help if the instructions given aren't detailed enough.