Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Getting aftermarket headers and a high performance catback exhaust system....

Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting aftermarket headers and a high performance catback exhaust system....

Alright here's my scenario... I have a 05 G35 6spd rev up coupe that im having a Invidia Gemini catback and borla headers installed. I have 2 shops that im interested in on having installing these aftermarket parts and would like some suggestions on who to go to. Z1 motorsports is only about a 45-60 min. drive but will charge 275$ more than G and S auto muffler which is a great known muffler place that has been around for a long time. Z1 motorsports does all performance work on infiniti's and Nissan so I know they would do a great job... The thing is I probably wont have a ride back to my house (will take them 9 hours to do the job) and it will cost them almost 300.00 more dollars than the good Muffler shop which is only 3 miles away from my house. I talked to the tech at G and S and he said he has done headers and catback for my kind of car and he would do a great job on it. Would u trust the other good muffler shop to do this kind of install or would you pay the extra and drive the extra to get it done at a performance shop. I will have it tuned in a few weeks but for now Im leaning on getting it done at the shop only 3 miles away from where I stay. Any suggestions...?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would do it I the good muffler shop jus bc it's almost impossible to mess it up unless they don't know what to do lol. I installed my catback for my old car in my garage and I'm NOT a mechanic lol

Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
i had a muffler shop near my house install JUST my HKS exhaust for $60.

Don't know how hard it is for headers tho. Maybe you should do the exhaust at a shop first then do the headers only. That way it's cost effective since you're concern about money. Just an idea...

Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
Installing headers and a cat back is not rocket science.. honestly any competent installer can do it. Should sound great but you'll really need a tune after that

Old 02-20-2014, 02:18 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
I would wait until you get a set of test pipes, ART or HFC's and get it all done at once.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Test pipes I wouldn't pass emissions though would I?... How about HFC's, but Im spending a lot on this set up as is atm. I might do HFC's down the road and a few other mods and get a tune all in one go. Thanks for the input guys btw... im going w/ the local shop but they are charging a good bit for the install. I do want it done right is the big reason Im having a shop do it and so I can have the install from a shop on a receipt.

How much would you say a shop should charge for the headers and catback install? Always thanks for the input.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by GSpeedRevUp
Test pipes I wouldn't pass emissions though would I?...
If you have to do the sniffer or a visual, no. And I had a muffler shop install my headers.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
I would really like to know what you did and how it went. Just had Z1 install their Z1 HFCs and do a tune. Car runs awesome with stock cat back exhaust. Now I'm struggling with what cat back exhaust system to buy? Want great sound, quality system, and affordable. Tanabe has a quality y-pipe and exhaust, but is it too tame? 04 G35 Coupe. Discount Tires recommended G&S Muffler, so I might see how much to install cat back, or do it myself. DIY I'd prefer complete bolt on with gaskets; no clamps.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:14 AM
The install went great and im very happy w/ the outcome. One thing I suggest though... get the whole install done at the same time. Doing installs at different times w/ similar parts will cost you extra money (getting HFC's and catback on at the same time would save u money). Goodluck.

Last edited by GSpeedRevUp; 03-06-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Would love to hear your car

The install went great and im very happy w/ the outcome. One thing I suggest though... get the whole install done at the same time. Doing installs at different times w/ similar parts will cost you extra money (getting HFC's and catback on at the same time would save u money). Goodluck.
So who did the work; G&S or Z1?
I live in Cartersville and would love to drive with son to hear your car. I saw a nice pop w/Z1 HFCs and Revup tune. Can't wait for cat back exhaust. Obviously you're happy with Gemini! Just not sure what to buy.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by elkochs
I would really like to know what you did and how it went. Just had Z1 install their Z1 HFCs and do a tune. Car runs awesome with stock cat back exhaust. Now I'm struggling with what cat back exhaust system to buy? Want great sound, quality system, and affordable. Tanabe has a quality y-pipe and exhaust, but is it too tame? 04 G35 Coupe. Discount Tires recommended G&S Muffler, so I might see how much to install cat back, or do it myself. DIY I'd prefer complete bolt on with gaskets; no clamps.
Best exhaust, either one of Motordynes systems or what I have...HKS!
G&S is who I would have chosen for the install, glad you made the right call. You didn't have them install headers/exhaust at the same time?
Gary

Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by elkochs
So who did the work; G&S or Z1?
I live in Cartersville and would love to drive with son to hear your car. I saw a nice pop w/Z1 HFCs and Revup tune. Can't wait for cat back exhaust. Obviously you're happy with Gemini! Just not sure what to buy.
You only live about 20 minutes from me. I got my work done at the G and S in Woodstock, ga off of main street. There is a tech there that has experience installing headers/catback/HFC's on our type of car. Elkochs the best thing to do is look up the different videos on youtube and what not and get a hint which u like the most. Don't rush off buying something your not sure of... take the time and do the research. If you want to meet up to check out my ride let me know.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by gary c

G&S is who I would have chosen for the install, glad you made the right call. You didn't have them install headers/exhaust at the same time?
Gary
Yes I did.