Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Test pipe advice

Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 AM
L36
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Test pipe advice

So my cats are slowly failing due to my negligence of not getting a OCC and all that oil burning did its damage on the cats... Now I could replace these with aftermarket cats but I began looking into test pipes.

I see the Motordyne ART test pipes, but they're a bit pricy and I'd like to keep this under $300 if possible. Are there any other test pipe alternative for a 04 coupe 6MT that has a resonator? Rather would avoid straight pipe because of drone.

Second, with these pipes can CEL be avoided via the sparkplug fouler method? Would prefer not having CELs that tell me I have no cats...

Edit: looking at Megan racing test pipes, specifically the MR-SSDP-N3Z.
Are there any issues with these test pipes/should I get OEM gaskets or the ones that come with the pipes are fine?

Thanks.

Last edited by L36; 06-10-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I had Megan V2 resonated test pipes (used for $80) with stock exhaust and they were fine. Test pipes are just metal so I say get the cheapest ones you can that have a resonator.

Im getting ART pipes soon because they're the best. If you can afford them, get them.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by L36
So my cats are slowly failing due to my negligence of not getting a OCC and all that oil burning did its damage on the cats... Now I could replace these with aftermarket cats but I began looking into test pipes.

I see the Motordyne ART test pipes, but they're a bit pricy and I'd like to keep this under $300 if possible. Are there any other test pipe alternative for a 04 coupe 6MT that has a resonator? Rather would avoid straight pipe because of drone.

Second, with these pipes can CEL be avoided via the sparkplug fouler method? Would prefer not having CELs that tell me I have no cats...

Edit: looking at Megan racing test pipes, specifically the MR-SSDP-N3Z.
Are there any issues with these test pipes/should I get OEM gaskets or the ones that come with the pipes are fine?

Thanks.
save $100 more from your originally planned 300 and get used ART pipes.
best bet.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
L36
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
save $100 more from your originally planned 300 and get used ART pipes.
best bet.
I think ill just go with HFC. I had headers with no cats on my maxima and the smell was annoying.

Any suggestions for HFC? Looking at Kinetix Racing High Flow cats right now...

Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by L36
I think ill just go with HFC. I had headers with no cats on my maxima and the smell was annoying.

Any suggestions for HFC? Looking at Kinetix Racing High Flow cats right now...
http://www.fastintentions.com/produc...roducts_id=109

Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what thread to post this in and didn't want to make a new one. But I recently purchased and installed an eBay hks knock off, called godspeed with topspeed test pipes. I love how it sounds at low rpm and just cursing around residential but as soon as I open it up or hit 4k it sounds wayy to Ricey for me! Do I have to get rid of the test pipes or can I get a different catback for it because I do like how loud it is, just don't like the rasp.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Banned
Try a magnaflow x pipe to weld in. That'll eliminate some rasp. Also do you have resonated or non resonated test pipes ?

Hopefully this is a lesson learned about buying shittyy knockoffs...

Old 07-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Non resonated and I bought a knock off for my Mitsubishi GTO and I love it!

Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
i hate when people make fun of others but buying knock off anything for our beautiful g35s deserves any BS it comes with LOL

also to the person who started this thread, you might as well get the art pipes, from what ive seen they give the best performance overall by alot. i think at lower rpms it gains like 10-15 hp over test pipes as they lose alot of hp under 2k rpms?
and they also seem to have a great resale value as long as you dont overpay the 615$. try messaging all the vendors that sell them. i only paid 550 brand new

Old 07-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Why is it such a sin to buy a cheap exhaust when all it is is piping? I could understand other parts but for an exhaust? Really? And for the fact that I bought the car for $7,000 and can't afford $1,300 for a "brand name" exhaust because it has a logo on it makes perfect sense as to why a cheap exhaust would be a good fit. Doesn't make the car any less desirable because the exhaust was $700 cheaper...piping is piping.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Gangster35
Why is it such a sin to buy a cheap exhaust when all it is is piping? I could understand other parts but for an exhaust? Really? And for the fact that I bought the car for $7,000 and can't afford $1,300 for a "brand name" exhaust because it has a logo on it makes perfect sense as to why a cheap exhaust would be a good fit. Doesn't make the car any less desirable because the exhaust was $700 cheaper...piping is piping.
Yeah.. No.

Motordyne or die .

The following users liked this post:
bchalks (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Banned
Remember that as you complain about your rasp issues.

In a few years get back to me when you see it discolored and rotting

Old 07-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Regardless of my cheap ebay exhaust. Can someone answer my question?

Is my exhaust just raspy/Ricey? Or is it because of the un resonated test pipes?

Will a new catback get rid of the rasp? Or did I need to put resonated test pipes in, or would an x pipe be a better solution?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Do the cross pipe. Then if you're not happy get resonated test pipes for cheap.

Honestly if you can afford it a used, quality catback will be your best option

Old 07-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Regardless of my cheap ebay exhaust. Can someone answer my question?

Is my exhaust just raspy/Ricey? Or is it because of the un resonated test pipes?

Will a new catback get rid of the rasp? Or did I need to put resonated test pipes in, or would an x pipe be a better solution?
No- let's talk about your cheap knock off for a second. For the time and money you're going to spend on trying to kick the bees out of your "piping" you're going to have bought and paid for a decent used, authentic exhaust from a reputable manufacturer.

For a guy who can't afford anything with a stamp on it- you sure seem to have scrambled up a lot of dollars to enhance the performance of your codspeed / flopspeed parts. And you have particularly fine taste for a guy who shuns those who don't mind spending good money on good things ie: that meet expectations and perform as desired.

You're one of these try hard baller types who pay minimum and then expect to get everything they want- then rag on others who suggest that you should have just bought the RIGHT item in the first place. You could afford a 7000 dollar car and for some reason, somehow decided that it was SO important to upgrade the exhaust that you bought the cheapest POS available. And now you're in looking for ways to make it suck less and giving us crap for pointing out how stupid your decision was.

Sure- doing it right would have meant you'd spend more up front... But you wouldn't be cringing at your own car every time you poke the beehive 4000 times a minute (ie every time you accelerate) as you "cruise" (I assume you meant) around yo' hood wid da window day-ouwn bein' all Bo-diddly (or whatever the 4ck kids are these days).

What's going to knock your rasp issue? (Guess what) More money- and you can keep throwing it at junk all you want but you'll end up paying twice as much in the end.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test pipe advice