Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Vibrant Performance Custom Exhaust Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Vibrant Performance Custom Exhaust Build

Hi Guys,
I'm starting a little project this summer and wanted to document it incase someone else wants to do the same sort of thing. I'll try and give as much detail and answer the questions I had getting into this project. Currently I have all the parts I need but I have a couple small things to sort out and the meat of the work to do. I will try my best to make timely progress updates. I loosely plan to sell this exhaust on the forum after completion so if you're interested let me know.

Alright some quick background. Feel free to skip this bit and head down to the meat. I've wanted an exhaust for my G since I got it. I love the sound of the VQ35 but I want something that has some extra volume and with a really nice deep note (little to no rasp). I know that there are tons of aftermarket exhausts but for me in Canada paying full price and shipping from the US for a quality brand really hurts the wallet. I also didn't want to cheap out and buy parts that use lower grade stainless and have a bad reputation (I learnt this the hard way when I bought megan v2 test pipes that leaked after a couple of months from the flex). So after some research I landed on Vibrant Performance parts. Vibrant Performance is a Canadian company that builds performance parts for custom jobs and they make some quality stuff too. Here's what I got from them:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1031_1110&products_id= 37<br/>http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1033_1054&products_id= 291<br/>http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=2389

Everything is 2.5" 304 Stainless and beautifully polished. The muffler and resonator are both straight through with perforated cores. This means that at idle with low exhaust gas velocity they should absorb a fair amount of noise. When I start it up in the mornings it hopefully won't bother my neighbours too much but when I rev it higher, the higher gas velocity should have great flow and more noise . I guess I'll find out once I'm done just how loud/quite it is. Also the flex pipes are a must in Canada because where I am I see +30ēC to -30ēC (its a good stress relief for the whole system regardless). I noticed a number of aftermarket setups don't have this and because of my experience with my megan test pipes i got a lined flex to be sure it doesn't leak.

The set will go something like this. Connection to stock cats which I believe to have 2.25" flanges. flex pipes and then merging into an X pipe (Based on my engineering background I believe an X should work better than H but that's a whole other can of worms). the rest is true dual with resonators after the X and of course the mufflers at the end. Because I may sell this exhaust I've got some extra flanges so I can break the exhaust into smaller, shippable sections.

Alright for the welding guys out there here's what I'm working with.

Lincoln TIG 200 Square Wave Tig/stick inverter typer welder

AC/DC, pulse and AC balance/frequency

torch and power cables.

PTA-17F flex head torch

all the other necessities

Weldingtipsandtricks.com sells a stubby gas lens kit the provides better gas coverage for better looking better quality welds. Check out Jody's youtube channel. this guy knows way too much about welding. note it also came with 2 of his big fingers and the parts on the lid are what came with the welder.

Some other things I need to sort out:
- I have 20' 180 grit polished 304 SS tube but am having difficulty finding someone who can mandrel bend it for me. Pie cuts and pre bent pipe are still an option.
- I'm waiting on a backordered helmet and I need to run another outlet for the welder the welder asks for 30 amp breaker so Im using 10-2 wire. (simple issues)
- I haven't decided on tips yet. I really like the Motordyne rounded burnt tips but the inlet is 3" and my tube is 2.5" so I need a reducer or to make a connector to address that.
- The connection at the cats needs some attention similar to the tips.

Thanks for reading guys. I'm pretty busy working on a bike project too so don't expect updates for a few weeks but feel free to leave me some pointers and comments. Oh yea, lets keep the bs debates and trash talk to a minimum.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Be interested in seeing and hearing how this turns out.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 AM
I completed the exhaust a couple months ago now and I given the exhaust a chance to break in. I couldn't be happier . Well my welds could use some work but.. they're plenty good enough and have 0 leaks. Here are some pics (video to come soon hopefully)

post install pics of the car. I winter drive this so the rims you see are 18" mid offset charger wheels whit 245/45/18 rubber front and back (small spacers on the front to clear callipers)

Note the slight rise after the flex was added to tuck the resonators up nicely to avoid scraping

nothing is welded here. just fitting it up.

this pass was stil undercut but I like the color. not perfect color but could be worse.

ignore the random crap on my garage floor

flex and x pipes

x pipe

resonators

muffler sections

The exhaust is near silent at warm idle and doesn't rasp at all (I almost wish it had some more rasp that's how little there is... maybe I need to make some test pipes next). All around it has a unique tone compared to any other VQ35 I've heard with any exhaust and that's one of my favourite parts about it. I do a lot of highway driving to school and at highway speeds you can barely hear it (unless you'er accelerating) but I could easily drive 10 hours straight and it would not bother me at all. All around performs exactly as planned.No drone. No Rasp. Let me know what you guys think!

Old 12-01-2016, 06:10 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Absolutely blown away here, looks great!! Fits like a glove, would love to get a video post of it running.

From a performance standpoint, I know some major manufacturers spend hundreds of hours or more in R&D to tweak their systems for max gains. What does you butt dyno tell you?

Thanks for making my day, doesn't happen much around here these days........

Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
From a performance standpoint, I know some major manufacturers spend hundreds of hours or more in R&D to tweak their systems for max gains. What does you butt dyno tell you?
Thanks for response blue dream. I really appreciate it! The butt dyno tells me that up to 3000 rpm things are pretty normal but after that and for sure after 4500 the car seems to pull noticeably harder. The design of the exhaust is largely bassed on the most popular ones on the market and the research that I did. I'm really not sure what I would change to produce more power because I feel like my na engine doesn't need more than 2.5" diameter piping in a dual system and the x pipe location is pretty static.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Videos?

Old 12-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Conway_160
Videos?
Soon. I could take one on my iPhone anytime but I want to get together with a friend who has a proper camera and mic

Old 12-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Thumbs up

I took a video on my iPhone today and you can find it here:
. This video won't be searchable, only through that link and I won't leave it up after I replace it. It's very easy to tell where the iPhone mic's range is exceeded... but I have loosely planned to re-shoot this with a proper mic this weekend.

The following 3 users liked this post by GoalieMan:
Blue Dream (12-07-2016), Sam G35S (12-04-2016), Scottwax (12-02-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
I'll wait for a proper video so I don't have to hear a bass-less exhaust. Nice work on the exhaust though OP.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GoalieMan
I took a video on my iPhone today and you can find it here: https://youtu.be/EdS_tNwezOY. This video won't be searchable, only through that link and I won't leave it up after I replace it. It's very easy to tell where the iPhone mic's range is exceeded... but I have loosely planned to re-shoot this with a proper mic this weekend.
Sounds nice and deep,

Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounding good so far. Let's see what the proper video will show. But real nice set up and clean G as well

Old 12-07-2016, 08:57 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I'll wait for a proper video so I don't have to hear a bass-less exhaust. Nice work on the exhaust though OP.
I was thinking the same thing and haven't watched it until today. Curiosity got the best of me though this morning and damn, it's worth a look. Do it you won't be disappointed, I sure wasn't.......