Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installed HKS replica catback and something is off.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 07:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed HKS replica catback and something is off.

I did the install myself which was a big mistake considering the tips don't align properly at all to the exhaust cutouts so I need to take it to a shop and have them align it anyways. Anyways the brand is by DNA and it is an Amazon exhaust. I figured why the hell not buy w it was only $300 if I don't like it, I'll sell it and make majority of my money back.
Turns out I actually love the sound of the exhaust. That being said I really didn't know what the exhaust sounded like at all until I had a friend drive it or record a video.
I don't know if it's how the exhaust comes or I didn't install it correctly but the drone is unbearable. Sitting inside the car and accelerating until about 3000RPM you really cannot hear the true sound of the exhaust because the drone takes over.
I think my mistake might have been adding the extensions between the Y pipe and the cats. I wasn't sure whether or not I was suppose to add it before or after the Y pipe so I just took a guess and assumed because the box only came with one double flange gasket that it must have connected to the cats. I'm starting to doubt this and I think this might be the problem.
Anybody have some input?
Also I read that many people threw on a magnaflow X pipe to help with the drone so this is probably my next best bet.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:37 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The X pipe will help but you bought a crappy designed exhaust and now know why. You get what you pay for has never been more true than it is today. A lot of times when we think we're getting a good deal it turns out to be more of a pain in the azz than it's worth. You might think about selling that exhaust before you spend any more money than you have and buying a used, good quality proven system. Trust me, in the end you'll be glad you did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.