Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Muffler Delete

I've looked around the forums for an answer to this for some time, though I have not found the answer I am looking for. I have a few questions about a getting a muffler delete, such as the effects on performance, MPG, emissions, and most importantly, the legality of the modification. I live in Texas, which may or may not have some influence on the laws of emissions or muffler deletes. If someone could please give me 100% factual answers, unbiased and non-opinionated, that would be great.

P.S. - Regarding the legality facet, a section or page number to an actual law would be the most influential and convincing. Thanks.

Much appreciated
-John

Old 03-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
No emissions issues (Texas only checks for engine codes/gas cap on OBDII cars) but you'll likely be regularly pulled over for loud exhaust. Minimal effect on performance, especially if you're mostly stock.

Really not a good mod, you're better off replacing the large resonator (assuming your car is a sedan) or the resonators (coupe) with a Magnaflow or Dynomax. That will get you the sound increase your after without it being obnoxiously loud or inducing rasp.

The following users liked this post:
JunepoJohn (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
No emissions issues (Texas only checks for engine codes/gas cap on OBDII cars) but you'll likely be regularly pulled over for loud exhaust. Minimal effect on performance, especially if you're mostly stock.

Really not a good mod, you're better off replacing the large resonator (assuming your car is a sedan) or the resonators (coupe) with a Magnaflow or Dynomax. That will get you the sound increase your after without it being obnoxiously loud or inducing rasp.
Many people want to go back to a muffler after the delete. It's raspy AF lol.

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the muffler delete!

I ended up getting the muffler delete. I drove around all day today, and am really enjoying it so far! I'm sure if it gets old, which I hope it does not, I'll find an alternate way to make my car sound nice. I appreciate your replies and the time you took to post them.
Thanks.
-John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.