Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Which exhaust systems get the highest HP/TQ increase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Which exhaust systems get the highest HP/TQ increase?

Hi guys,
I'm interested in picking up a new exhaust system. I've read here and there about owners getting 7-15ish HP / torque out of aftermarket exhaust systems and I was wondering if there was any sort of consensus about the best ones? I want to keep it street/smog legal (current CA resident) but I'm interested in picking up HP in a way that makes my car sound better too.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Motordyne products ftw.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:53 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yep, motordyne tdx2 makes the most power but it's a pretty small margin compared to the competition, +2 to +5 hp increase depending on what you're comparing it to.

Biggest point of the tdx2 is the exhaust note has the least rasp/drone which can be a huge headache with some lesser systems. The extra $$ for that system compared to practically any other isn't a cost effective hp increase however, this motor responds much better to the spacer/lower intake/tune than it does to exhaust. It does sound really amazing however, it and the tanabe medallion are my two favorite sounding exhaust systems.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Yea I was looking at the Tanabe Medallion one. Honestly though my favorites have been:
TITANIUM:
Tomei Expreme Ti
Motordyne Harakiri + Art Pipes
STAINLESS STEEL:
ExoticSpeed R1-T
Motordyne TDX2

It's hard to tell from youtube videos but don't the stainless steel ones sound a bit....rice-y? It's hard to describe

Old 06-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Also, titanium is supposed to be way lighter right?

Oh the Tomei expreme is single exit, not my style for sure.

Last edited by philbegas; 06-30-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:11 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Type of metal used has practically zero effect on exhaust note, that's all tube diameter, resonator, muffler, tip. Titanium is lighter yes, however it's characteristic is to shatter and not bend if it's ever impacted and the cost is usually insane compared to SS so... best only used on track cars.

Unless you've already replaced most parts and have adjustable coilovers and shocks/rims/tires/sway bars I wouldn't go with the titanium exhaust, the 40-50lbs total weight reduction for handling is nothing compared to doing those other upgrades. If you're already fully raced out then it's one of the few upgrades left to do for handling (personally I'd be looking at a clutch-type lsd at that point though for quicker lockup coming out of corners and brakes for more consistency coming into a corner).

Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
And the answer is: MOTORDYNE TDx2

You got the correct answer to your question in the first post, "Motordyne!" HKS is a close second but you asked for the best results! Most of the restriction in our exhaust systems are those OE cats, but you posted against going the high flow cat route. Good Luck!
Gary

Old 07-03-2017, 12:34 PM
High flow cats make it illegal in CA huh?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I have the Tanabe Medallion. Didn't dyno it when I got it so I can't say for sure how much power gain there might have been. My car was mostly stock at the time. It's reasonably quiet, some drone at 2500 rpm though, which works out to 70 mph in 6th gear so it's not a great engine speed to have drone. Still, compared to most after market exhausts I've heard its not very loud. Sounds much meaner at full throttle with the Art Pipes installed and actually a bit quieter otherwise. Didn't like the fart can look so I painted the muffler itself a flat black.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by philbegas
Only cat-back exhausts are legal in CA.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by philbegas
Illegal? There's two ways to work the system, find a smog station that will pass your G without doing the visual inspection. Our cars will pass if you're not throwing any warnings on your dash! Or every second year you need register your G, swap the OE cats back in. This way you're enjoying the sound and increase in hp/torque having removed the largest restriction in your exhaust. You could have found this information by doing a search!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Read up young padawan. This might help you make your decision.

Motordyne Exhaust Study CLICK MEEEE

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks guys. I don't really know anything about exhausts so I wasn't sure where to start. I didn't even know which companies were good and which were knockoffs until reading a few threads on here.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:56 PM
I ended up moving to PA, so I think I'm actually going to go the HFC route. Thinking Z1 HFCs, they seem like the best bang for your buck. I'd love titanium ones but they're so expensive lol

Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make your own catback and replace the cats with test pipes. That will give you the best hp. Parts needed. Test pipes, y pipe, custom mid pipe (resonated or not your choice) and univeral mufflers. Look for straight throw design muffler. Hks hi power/ apexi n1 / blitz nur spec style mufflers. They look like cannons. Or you can skip the mufflers and do straight pipe but that will elimate back pressure to the point you lose torque. Ps. Test pipes always out perform high flow cats especially on boosted cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.