Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Muffler Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:16 PM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Muffler Options

Hey guys I have an 06 G35 sedan 5AT and I'm looking to buy a muffler or possibly a resonator. A new exhaust system or even just one of the components i.e. y pipe, test pipes, hfc's, etc. is out of the budget. I looked at installing a coupe mid pipe but it's too big to have it shipped and there aren't really any local ones for sale.

1. I'm looking for no drone.
2. I'm looking to have a slightlty deeper/throatier sound without it being very loud.

Do you guys recommend the thrush muffler 17655, a flowmaster muffler, or a vibrant resonator? I know there's the magnaflow muffler but $227 for a muffler just doesnt sit well with me.

Thx.

Muffler Options-20180917_173636-01.jpeg

Old 09-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
I've never heard those mufflers on an otherwise stock exhaust so I'm not sure, but personally I'd hold out for a coupe mid-pipe. I absolutely loved the sound of the 'OE+' setup I used to have with the y-pipe off an HR 350z and coupe mid pipe. If ART pipes didn't make power I would have stuck with that setup. Have you checked your local scrap yards or inquired with people doing part-outs?

Good luck, and nice lookin sedan!

Old 09-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Thank you! I have checked around. I'm on all of the Facebook g35 pages. I've also checked Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. I'll keep looking.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
i didn't notice too much of a difference when i put on a coupe mid. it still sounded very oem on my 06x. if you're wanting something to sound slightly more sporto, i don't think that will do it alone. i added berk hfcs, megan y-pipe (oem rusted out), and coupe mid and it's still not deep or loud. i wish i had put on art pipes but i didn't find any used ones for sale when i was looking. be patient and something will show up used.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
i didn't notice too much of a difference when i put on a coupe mid. it still sounded very oem on my 06x. if you're wanting something to sound slightly more sporto, i don't think that will do it alone. i added berk hfcs, megan y-pipe (oem rusted out), and coupe mid and it's still not deep or loud. i wish i had put on art pipes but i didn't find any used ones for sale when i was looking. be patient and something will show up used.
Interesting. I feel like that set up would definitely be deeper. Much appreciated

Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Just adding a coupe midpipe will make a negligible difference in sound that you won't really notice. If you can find a Flowmaster muffler on the cheap, that will make the exhaust sound deeper/louder but at the possible expense of adding drone and/or rasp to the system.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:32 AM
I'm probably gonna get the coupe mid and see if I like it. I heard an Audi S7 start up the other day and had an eargasm. But when it was at idle it was quite. Something like that would be perfect.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:49 AM
I forgot I also threw a couple washers between the mid pipe and muffler - the definition of FPFQ!

Regardless, it didn't drone at all (like a muffler delete will) but still offered a bit more volume at half and full throttle.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
I'm probably gonna get the coupe mid and see if I like it. I heard an Audi S7 start up the other day and had an eargasm. But when it was at idle it was quite. Something like that would be perfect.
The coupe mid pipe is a great it will change the tone of your exhaust thru out the rpm range! I gave mine to a family member when I got my first aftermarket exhaust...sounded (*)(*)!
Originally Posted by g356sp
I forgot I also threw a couple washers between the mid pipe and muffler - the definition of FPFQ!
Regardless, it didn't drone at all (like a muffler delete will) but still offered a bit more volume at half and full throttle.
So you created a leak, you could have left out the gasket and got the same effect!
Gary

Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
Hey guys I have an 06 G35 sedan 5AT and I'm looking to buy a muffler or possibly a resonator. A new exhaust system or even just one of the components i.e. y pipe, test pipes, hfc's, etc. is out of the budget. I looked at installing a coupe mid pipe but it's too big to have it shipped and there aren't really any local ones for sale.

1. I'm looking for no drone.
2. I'm looking to have a slightlty deeper/throatier sound without it being very loud.

Do you guys recommend the thrush muffler 17655, a flowmaster muffler, or a vibrant resonator? I know there's the magnaflow muffler but $227 for a muffler just doesnt sit well with me.

Thx.

Attachment 259293
I had a used coupe mid-pipe shipped from a parts recycler on Ebay. IIRC it was $130-ish including free-shipping. It was in good shape too, although I'll admit their packaging had me worried a bit.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
So you created a leak, you could have left out the gasket and got the same effect!
Gary
You are so smart!

Old 09-20-2018, 05:23 PM
You are so smart!
Smart is years ahead of lame, and besides why would you want an exhaust system with leaks and must make all kinds of weird raspy sounds at WOT?
Gary

Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Smart is years ahead of lame, and besides why would you want an exhaust system with leaks and must make all kinds of weird raspy sounds at WOT?
Gary
Ouch wow what's with the insults guy I got thin skin!

Anyways, good thing this admittedly cheap lame-o has WOT clips from back then so you can actually hear what it sounded like instead of judging based on.... your smarts, I guess?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Ouch wow what's with the insults guy I got thin skin!
Anyways, good thing this admittedly cheap lame-o has WOT clips from back then so you can actually hear what it sounded like instead of judging based on.... your smarts, I guess?
https://youtu.be/7wpCzaEUJlA
Vids are only as good as the Wall Mart recorder you used! You should be able to hear your exhaust leaks just sitting still at idle! Sorry I didn't mean to hurt your feelings! I once used the washer idea before you were born on my lake pipes for a bad azz sound, all it got me was a ticket...one of many!
Gary

Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I love how this forum right now has a combination of kids like me with their FPFQ Gs and experienced OGs who have been around the block with a bunch of different cars and life experiences. You get a good mix of advice because of that and it's less of an echo chamber too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler Options