Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Borla or Evo2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla or Evo2?

I'm looking at getting a much needed exhaust upgrade for my coupe. Which is better, the Greddy Evo2 or the Borla? I got some info on the Borla and like what I see. I do not plan on doing any forced induction (well, not for now it seems), so which would be better?

BTW, I heard that the Borla has 16-20 HP gain along with a 10 lb weight savings. What are the stats for the Greddy Evo2?

Old 04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
I wouldnt expect those kinda gains from any exhaust out now...stillen which has been seen to provide best gains gives 10-13HP...dont expect any exhaust out right now thats been dyno'd to give you that type of gain....

take manufacturer's dyno charts w/ a grain of salt....

Old 04-14-2005, 08:35 AM
I kinda figured that was horse crap when I read it on the ad for this one online store. Anyway, the Borla has to at least produce 10 HP (because rumor has it the Stillen produces 13-15 HP), right? The only problem with the Stillen (which was originally my first choice) was that it was too damn expensive (they average $1200 right?). The Borla is a lot cheaper and at the loss of 5 HP, saving 300-350 bucks don't sound so bad. Then maybe I can afford a UR pulley set.

If there is anyone on the board with a Borla, let me know how you like it?

And is there any truth to it helping gas mileage?

Old 04-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Id just get the Borla, most of the members on this forum love the Borla and you cant beat the value. Yes the stillen is pricey and also heavier than stock. I cannot comment on gas mileage but I cant really see how it can help gas mileage....

The Greddy Evo2 is also nice but its pricey just like the stillen...~1000

the people with the borla I have seen here all love it...

Old 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just bought a Borla. . .

I'm going to put it on tonight if I can, or Saturday. I'll let you know how it sounds/feels etc. I like the fact that it is lighter than stock. Manufacturers can claim all the HP/TQ gains they want, and who knows if it's true. But weight is weight. . .not disputeable. www.everythingg35.com had a good price on the borla. . .

-drew-

Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewer
I'm going to put it on tonight if I can, or Saturday. I'll let you know how it sounds/feels etc. I like the fact that it is lighter than stock. Manufacturers can claim all the HP/TQ gains they want, and who knows if it's true. But weight is weight. . .not disputeable. www.everythingg35.com had a good price on the borla. . .

-drew-
take some pics or even better some vids, i'm also looking into getting a borla, but i dont want anything ricey, i've heard the borla sound like the OEM but its louder, which is perfect for me

Old 04-15-2005, 02:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I can do one better for ya. . .do you have MSN messenger? I have a clip that a guy named Shawn did. . .it's an excellent comparsion between stock and the Borla, with revs, windows up, windows down, WOT, etc. . . it's 12MB, and I'd be glad to send it to ya.

As for my experience, it does sound a little deeper at idle than the stock, but once above 3500RPMs it sounds pretty similar. It kind of has a little bit more of a muffled, lower pitched growl unlike the more throaty sound of the stock. The idle has a nice low rumble/growl that I think is cool. My butt dyno (post ECU pedal style reset) says no difference. LOL. Installation was easy. . .except the bent pipe that goes from the right mid-muffler pipe and over the rear sway bar kept twisting and gently rubbed the sway bar. I loosed the clamps on both ends of that section and then twisted it in place and then re-tightened the clamps again. After the test drive, I checked it again and it seems to have twisted again and looks like it is barely touching the sway bar again. I'll have to correct this tomorrow. Anyway, good luck in your decisions! PM me if you have MSN with your screen name, I'll add you, and send you the comparison video.

L8rs!

-drew-

Old 04-15-2005, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by JC79G35
I'm looking at getting a much needed exhaust upgrade for my coupe. Which is better, the Greddy Evo2 or the Borla? I got some info on the Borla and like what I see. I do not plan on doing any forced induction (well, not for now it seems), so which would be better?

BTW, I heard that the Borla has 16-20 HP gain along with a 10 lb weight savings. What are the stats for the Greddy Evo2?
Hey JC, where are you in Chicago? I've got a brand new still in boxes Borla catback system for sale if you decide on the Borla. I even had the whole muffler polished. I just try to PM you but you have your PM turned off. Just PM me if you're interested. Thanks.

Last edited by HGS_G; 04-15-2005 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:24 AM
I just bought an Invidia - After install, I'll let you know what I think.

Lou

Old 04-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey JC,

I tried sending you a PM but you disabled it . But if you are looking into getting the Greddy Evo 2 let me know because i will give you a great deal on it. I got 1 left instock and ready to go home to a new owner. So you can msg me on aim @ streetimage jim. That is the fastest way to get ahold of me.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Sports Z Magazine did a pretty good write up on some exhausts (although testing were on Z's).

I'll post a link if I can find it.

Stillen is expensive, is heavier than stock, but has most gains.
Borla is cheaper, is lighter than stock, has gains of (about 6 to 8 hp?), but also takes a lot of effort to install (due to many clamps needed at each joint versus the simple flanged connections of others).

------EDIT------
Here's the link:
http://www.stillen.com/media_files/a...0000000007.pdf

Last edited by GZire; 04-15-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
I have the Borla on my sedan and I love it. Looks great, sounds great. I don't have hard numbers on HP gains, but it's probably less then 10 horses. I have sound clips but no way to host them. I can email them if you like. skeletoncru@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-16-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm interested in your new Borla!

Originally Posted by HGS_G
Hey JC, where are you in Chicago? I've got a brand new still in boxes Borla catback system for sale if you decide on the Borla. I even had the whole muffler polished. I just try to PM you but you have your PM turned off. Just PM me if you're interested. Thanks.
If it is still available, I'm looking for a new exhaust for my '04 G35 sedan. Pls let me know and email me what you want for them. I'm in the sw burbs of Chgo.
thx,
THom
mdfd430@yahoo.com

Old 04-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Sorry but the exhaust I have for sale is for the coupe. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:01 PM
After some research, I decided to go with the Stillen afterall (reagrdless of the slightly higher cost... according to what I read, its worth it). Anyway, thanks to everyone for their input!

BTW, has anyone ordered a Stillen from Everything G35? Do they sell the single or dual wall tips?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla or Evo2?