Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

CAI ISSUES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 06:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
CAI ISSUES

An interesting thread I found on F/A today:
CAI ISSUES

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CAI ISSUES

After researching this problem on my350z.com, it seems to be due to using an oiled filter. Oil gets onto the MAF sensor and causes it to malfunction. One post over there went into how you can use oiled filters with MAP sensors (Honda), but have to use non-oiled paper filters with MAF sensors (Nissan/Infiniti) as they are much more sensitive than MAP sensors and oil will cause them to fail. Does anyone sell a CAI with a paper non-oiled filter?

-Rick

Old 07-09-2003, 08:22 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

rstark, I've heard of this issue with too much oil that collects on the MAF b4. Altho not a common issue, it is a consideration and something to be very careful of when cleaning the filter and reapplying oil.
I don't know of a CAI that uses a paper (non oiled) filter. Only thing I would do is wash all the oil off the reusable filter and just go dry. I suspect this will give poor filtration tho, and prolly not the answer long term.
What I'd like to know too, is if the MAF sensor can be 'washed'. Or does it have to be replaced when you encounter a problem.
About K&N type (reusable) filters: My dealership sells these things as a performance upgrade and feels they are quite safe to use. I think the problem lies in cleaning and re-oiling, and if the instructions are followed carefully, you shouldn't have a problem.
It is a trade-off, tho, with hiflow oilable filters it seems, and makes you wonder if it's really worth those one or 2 ponies!

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 07-09-2003, 10:21 AM

Have not looked at the G35's MAF, but I have cleaned the sensor wire on a couple of Ford MAF with contact cleaner/electronic cleaner. Spray it on and let it dry on its own. I've been told not to touch it with anything like Q-Tip or use any other solvent in order to avoid leaving any debris on the wire.

I've seen more than a few people oiling their filters until they are dripping wet. Just follow the directions closely and you really shouldn't have any problem with oil getting to the MAF.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:28 AM

How do u know when the MAF is malfunctioning?? and when it breaks, does it F up the engine or anything? coz i wanna wait until my MAF breaks, and then switch back to stock filter for warranty srvc.

hometown.aol.com/v35skylinepnoy
Sactown Cali