Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Group install of Iso Thermal gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
If you just installed the spacer... It took me AT LEAST a couple of hours the FIRST time... mostly from being overly cautious and not wanting to jack up my engine!?! (mostly in the disassembly, then re-torquing sequence!) but it CAN be done in 30 minutes or less... just don't mess with the rear hoses at the plenum TB and it's a piece of cake! I added the Copper Iso-Thermal upgrade to my spacer.. it took about an hour tops.. and that was involving the removal of both the upper AND lower plenum and the Throttle Body.. and I added some silicon PVC and Breather hoses while it was all apart also!

As far as change in response or power... DON"T FORGET TO RESET YOUR ECU!! this is key... wiping out the old learned A/F maps on the ECU after installation of this major intake mod are a MUST... the Air/Fuel ratios are DEFINITELY going to be different with the spacer... better air flow at the intake... different fuel mixture needs!

I think after you reset.. you will pee yourself with delight from the DEFINITE difference in response throughout the whole power band.. I believe others that have installed the 5/16" spacer will agree that this version gives good results in the mid to high RPM range of the power band.. the 1/2" is more for the high RPM range.. not so much the mid range.. pretty much where I tend to spend most of my time.. not so much flat out! good choice!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the torque sequence I need to follow when rebolting the lower plenum??

Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, call me Mr. Stupid, but I am halfway in to my 5/16 plenum spacer install and I just realized that I forgot to disconnect the negative battery cable. Doing it now. What is the purpose of this and shoulld I expect any negative (sorry about that) repurcussions?
Also, is the ECU reset mandatory after the install?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Dear Mr.Stupid.. (just kiddin') I think initially the need to disconnect the neg. terminal is to protect the electrical system of the car.. but the LONGTERM removal of it is the let the capacitors discharge in the ECU, essentially resetting it in the process.. no "happy feet" reset required.. easier, simpler.. but LONGER.. and ya gotta reset all your radios stations and the clock (hassle!).

And yes.. and ECU reset is a must afterwords to get it out of Granny Mode and relearn with the increased air flow realized with this mod! (YEAH!)
You should be ok.. fire it up and see... at this point you will need to do the throttle stomp method of resetting the ECU.. should be at the back of the Install docs that Tony sends out with the kit!

If you have issues search on here under "ECU RESET".. lots of posts on it fo sho!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the help RicoG35X. Everything turned out fine. I had no luck with the pedal ecu reset so I have pulled the battery cable again. I'll see how it does in the morning.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:53 PM
That's great man.. the throttle stomp reset is all about the timing.. but some get it.. some don't.. both work.

Enjoy the spacer... great little mod for the $$... think about an 06 air box.. it polishes the throttle response nicely, complements the z-tube sound... bigger intake horn for the air box... about 80-85 bucks at any of the dealers on here got mine at Everything G35.. takes about a week, not a hi use item.. also Riverside Infiniti has them as well.. search on "06 air box".. DaveB has a really nice thread on this!!

drive on bro!

Old 06-19-2010, 04:47 PM
I have gone back and forth from getting the '06 airbox and a K&N drop in to getting a R2C CAI kit to compliment the Ztube. Evidently the CAI is nothing but a sound gain with possible loss of hp due to heat soak. Just a roll of the dice I guess. But a little more sound would be nice.
I don't fully understand the heat soak issue - if the car is moving then air is flowing from the outside - not the engine compartment. But I have read where some say the OEM air box is the best design for power. Maybe I'll just get swaybars!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Just went for a Sunday morning drive and took my ECU to school - high revs, staying in low gears and generally driving like a madman. I am generally very satisfied with the spacer and I can feel improved throttle response but not enough to pin my head against the rear glass. Guess I need a FI system!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Yep.. it just opens it up.. not so asthmatic.. breathes a little easier.. for **** tightening acceleration.. FI FTW bro!!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 PM
I have a question that I am having trouble finding the answer to.

I'm looking at the plenum spacers and saw a G35 & M35 MREV 2 Manifold TM and got interested since I was already thinking about opening the engine I thought why not? I read on the description that if you have a rev up engine the gains will be a minimum of 20 hp and 30 TQ in the upper mid range. And if your engine is not a rev up engine the gains are that of a 5/16 plenum spacer....... So how is it that you find out if your engine is a rev up or not? I think I remember reading something about if it is a rev up your engine will start with a VQ and if not it will be a Q. And if that is the case where or how would I find that out.
I thank everyone in advance if they have any info that they can give me.
Ben

Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe 05+ 6MT are the Revup engines

Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 PM
looks great man, i just finished replacing all my speakers in my 2005 sedan, and added 1 10 alpine type r so hopefully in the next few months ill be doing that same upgrade

Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Old 03-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by RicoG35x
the throttle stomp reset
Please explain this a little more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Group install of Iso Thermal gasket