Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

What is the difference between Test Pipe & Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the difference between Test Pipe & Y-Pipe

I have decided that once I can figure out how to purchase my exhaust setup without the wife finding out, I am purchasing the Fujitsubo. With this setup, can someone explain if I need a test pipe or Y-pipe. If so, what is the difference?

Thanks

Old 11-21-2005, 06:43 PM
My horns hold up my halo
I think I am somewhat confused by your question BUT in case I am reading it correctly here is part of your answer.

The test pipes are to replace the cats on the car and the Y-pipe comes off the cats to connect to the rest of the exhaust. They aren't replacements for one another in any situation that I can recall. You would still need a Ypipe to come off the test pipes to connect up to the rest of the exhaust.

Now having said that, I am not familiar with the exhaust you are looking to buy so I am not sure if it is a catback exhaust or not. Assuming that it IS a catback then it would replace the stock Y-pipe with it's own pipe.

Be careful on hiding things from your wife now. Sometimes we have good reasons for why you shouldn't do things.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 PM
in the G35's exhaust system... the headers come off the engine block and come downward out of the engine bay (2 headers, also sometimes call exhaust manifolds)

the catalytic converters ("cats") connect there and route downward and then bend to head toward the back of the car (there are 2 of them) - aftermarket Crawford Cats pictured

after the cats is the Y-pipe. like it's name suggests it's shaped like a Y. two pipes connect to the two cats, and then merge down into 1 middle pipe. (Fujitsubo pictured)

after the Y-pipe comes the midpipe. this is just a single pipe that runs along the middle of the car from the Y-pipe back to the muffler. finally there is the single muffler and a pair of exhaust tips.

the Fujitsubo Legalis-R replaces the factory midpipe and muffler ONLY. they also make the Y-pipe which i highly recommend. if you're looking to upgrade your flow w/o flak from the misses, the cats and the Y-pipe are the biggest bottleneck and replacing them will sound similar to stock just alittle meaner.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:16 PM
My horns hold up my halo
^^^ thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if it was in fact a cat back or not so I was hoping someone would chime in on that one.