Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust Options (Budget!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Options (Budget!!)

alright, im a college kid and im trying to ball on a budget...getting a catback exhaust isnt the best option for me right now cause i dont have the funds...i was wondering if anyone has any information on possible axle-back systems that make the car sound louder/better....also, i was looking at the test pipes and was wondering how they would sound with the stock exhaust and if adding an after market y-pipe would also make it sound better?

thanks

Old 12-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Did you use to own an Evo?.. lol WRXKilla?

Old 12-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Resonated test pipes on the stock exhaust sound nice. Besides the little rasp thats associated with test pipes. Otherwise, GReddy SP is a cheap axle-back. A'PEX-i makes some cheap y-pipe back exhausts. I think those will be your cheapest options.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
why not get an electric exhaust cutout!!!

www.dmhperformance.com

I have 2 of them on my car, but I have a dual exhaust.

You could use one after the factory resonator but before the muffler.

I bet it would be pretty cool, and since it is after the cats and resonator, you'd probably avoid the dreaded rasp!!!

Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
go for some good power

if you have the money to spend on an exhaust, then i would suggest you go with the MREV mod. It'll most likely be about the same for an axle back and some test pipes and produce more useable power while keeping your stock exhaust sound. I remember college and just jumping into worthless mods. go MREV then get a cat back later. JMHO.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:52 PM
dont want to sound stupid, but im just getting into the g35 scene with the mods......what is the mrev mod and where can i find it?

also, where can i find a site that has the axle back exhausts?

another stupid one....y-pipe back exhaust....does it include the y-pipe?

Old 12-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mrev

Got some info from a testor of the MREV

http://www.sah2o.com/intakeproject.htm

and the manufacturer Motordyne Engineer

http://www.motordyneengineering.com

Its a great mod for us with the 05 and up. Real good gains. Still trying to work around my budget to get it with a catback and some other goodies. Definitly a good early mod.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WRX,

If your G is suited for the MREV mod ('05 - '06 6MT's), the MREV will be the best monies, which you will spend for your car. Personally, I think it yields the highest results for the dollar.

Your other option is to get one of Motordyne's ISO Thermal Spacer set-ups, if you have an earlier year G.

The above will enhance the sound levels and afford you more power . . . Especially the MREV Plus mod. Good luck to you on your decision. Have fun!

Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Go with the Borla exhaust - by the time you buy a test pipe and y-pipe and get all that done, you can have the whole dual setup for about $700. It works and sounds great.

Other than that - MREV it...

Old 12-13-2005, 12:31 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by QuadCam
why not get an electric exhaust cutout!!!

www.dmhperformance.com

I have 2 of them on my car, but I have a dual exhaust.

You could use one after the factory resonator but before the muffler.

I bet it would be pretty cool, and since it is after the cats and resonator, you'd probably avoid the dreaded rasp!!!
Do you really have these exhaust cutouts? Any dynos? Have not seen or heard of these before....

Old 12-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
no I don't have any dynos.

I have them in my car, but it is a different application. If you search for posts strated by "quadcam" you'll find one about my dual exhaust. In there, there is a link to a small video with sound of the exhaust system.

I have my e-cutouts setup to close off one side of the dual exhaust, thereby routing everything through the one of the pipes. Additionally, the pipe that gets everything routed through it still has an e-cutout installed in-line of the exhaust. But, I have a custom drilled butterfly that still allows exhaust flow (although restricted) but at highly attentuated sound levels.

It sounds complicated, but it does what I want.......quiet when I have business clients in the car. Loud and sweet when it's my time!!!

here's apic of one of the cutouts. I have since added more "holes" to it. With the 8 holes, it was too restrictive.

You can download the video here:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...pid=284139&ck=

Click on "exhaustvideo.3g2"

You have to save it. Also you'll need Quicktime 6.5 or higher to play it.

Sorry about the quality, it is my cell phone. You can here that it si pretty quiet at low revs and idle, but a freak at WOT!! If you listen carefully you can hear the nice hum at idle.
I made this video in my garage, so the garage may have amplified the sound.

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Options (Budget!!)-dsc_0114.jpg  

Last edited by QuadCam; 12-14-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A'pexi exhausts are relatively cheap and they are known for good quality. If you search around in my350z.com, you can find some video clips of A'pexi N1. N1 for G35 is selling for $530 shipped. If you want something quieter, then WS2 is $599 shipped. Check this link out: https://g35driver.com/forums/exhaust-vendor/74695-pexi-greddy-dc-sports-exhaust-systems-lowest-prices-online.html

Both are Y-pipe back systems.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:01 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by QuadCam
no I don't have any dynos.

I have them in my car, but it is a different application. If you search for posts strated by "quadcam" you'll find one about my dual exhaust. In there, there is a link to a small video with sound of the exhaust system.

I have my e-cutouts setup to close off one side of the dual exhaust, thereby routing everything through the one of the pipes. Additionally, the pipe that gets everything routed through it still has an e-cutout installed in-line of the exhaust. But, I have a custom drilled butterfly that still allows exhaust flow (although restricted) but at highly attentuated sound levels.

It sounds complicated, but it does what I want.......quiet when I have business clients in the car. Loud and sweet when it's my time!!!

here's apic of one of the cutouts. I have since added more "holes" to it. With the 8 holes, it was too restrictive.

You can download the video here:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...pid=284139&ck=

Click on "exhaustvideo.3g2"

You have to save it. Also you'll need Quicktime 6.5 or higher to play it.

Sorry about the quality, it is my cell phone. You can here that it si pretty quiet at low revs and idle, but a freak at WOT!! If you listen carefully you can hear the nice hum at idle.
I made this video in my garage, so the garage may have amplified the sound.
Freak at WOT! Yeah... That is what my HKS + coupe mid-pipe sounds like. Got to love it!

Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 AM
borla sucks..takes away low end

go with the crawford cats first for $500..you can't go wrong. That's what I did..improves power throughout the band.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by TedRuxpin
borla sucks..takes away low end

go with the crawford cats first for $500..you can't go wrong. That's what I did..improves power throughout the band.
Sorry - but where do you get that from? Boral sucks - sorry man - your wrong....very wrong.

I've flow benched 6 kits for these cars - Borla was number two in efficiency and HP gain...Fact is Borla is the quietest of ALL the kits out here, other than stock muffler setups.

I've written about his before as well. The Borla system gave me more power through the band than any other kit, with virtually ZERO done and one of the best fitting bolt-on exhausts you can buy.

I don't disagree wioth the Crawford Cats = they rock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Options (Budget!!)