Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Kinetix Manifold VS. Crawford Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinetix Manifold VS. Crawford Plenum

I currently have an 04 5AT and would like some feed back on improving my engine's breathing.

For about $900 I could get the Kinetix Manifold that is probably the sweetest thing I have ever seen for our engine bays. It produces very good HP and TQ throughout the entire power band and is visually very sexy. I would later pair it up with a CAI or a Z tube + K&N filter.

http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.a...PROD&ProdID=12

Or, I could save a bit of cash and get the Crawford Plenum and pair it with a Z tube + K&N filter or an Injen CAI.

My question is.... is the Kinetix Manifold worth the looks and the power? I guess that's totally up to me, but let me know what you think.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
I'd get the SSV manifold just to be different. It looks fu*king sweet. Not very many people have it yet so that's always a plus. JMO
-GP-

Old 12-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Those are my thoughts exactly. It gives an entirely new look to the engine bay and you don't have to worry about the poor engineering of the plenums. Just bolt that sexy piece on and away you go.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmm.. basically that power gain.. is from the ECU flash. U basically don't gain anything from the Kinetix SSV manifold.. Not for NA. for FI, thats a whole different story. Kind of expensive for a 0 HP gain don't u think.....

Ed Lin

Old 12-20-2005, 03:40 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
^^Ed, it states on Kinetix website that there is a peak gain of 12.8HP weather it's to the wheels or not its still not a zero gain. The power gain of 50+ HP is after a reflash on an FI engine.
-GP-

Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod
i heard from a source that the dyno is with the ECU flash. thats just me. Others who have tested the SSV plenum (my friend also) themselves (independent dyno) have gotten ZERO or NEGATIVE gain.

So u can trust them if you like. Its just what i heard and observed

Ed Lin

Old 12-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Uhhh... OK.. So how could a plenum spacer give better breathing, but this monster doens't give any hp increase?? Come on. This thing can't be all looks and no go. There has to be some sort of performance gain.

If so... that sucks. I wanted that thing to be worth the money and the looks. It must breathe better than the cast plenums of sort.

Last edited by Driver Elite; 12-21-2005 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Driver Elite
Uhhh... OK.. So how could a plenum spacer give better breathing, but this monster doens't give any hp increase?? Come on. This thing can't be all looks and no go. There has to be some sort of performance gain.

If so... that sucks. I wanted that thing to be worth the money and the looks. It must breathe better than the cast plenums of sort.
If it has longer runner then it may provide better torque, but this will depend. If they made the runners too long or not a good location for the air exiting it may affect the flow and thus the NA numbers suck, but that won't be as big as concern when you are forcing air through it. I haven't really seen or heard much about the Kinetix manifold so I cannot really comment. Honestly if it just looks pretty would you really pay that much for it just to be different?

Old 12-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Alumni****
I don't have any real world experience with the Manifold, so I can't comment on it other than that it looks good. I know of one person who's used it on his TT and it seems to have shown gains. I don't know how much it'll do to a N/A though.

I have to say, the Crawford Plenum is one of the best mods for a N/A car though. It's one of few mods that you install it, and you can actually feel a difference.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
I ordered mine and it will be here monday. I am doing before and after dynos with stock then SSV, JWT pop charger, and Z tube.

PS
Personally I think it looks hot as **** too.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mine you guys all the design of the upper/lower intake manifold from Nissan was achieved by alot of Engineering (if you guys are not in engineering, you will never get it..and those engineers in Japan are damn good...squeezing 300+ hp from a 3.5 V6, while domestic cars can only push 300 hp with a V8..) while there is a reason for them to put it in a multiple pieces design rather than a straight through design..

while i am not saying that Kinetix didn't put in enough research on this, but you can't compare this with a plenum spacer. This is because plenum spacer is just "optimizing" the stock design, which has already been very efficient.

Originally Posted by Driver Elite

Last edited by godmans; 12-21-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:14 AM
Godmans,
Very good point. In the end, who am I to second guess Japanese engineers :-) Either way, if the plenum is going to give the most power that you can feel, then I would rather have that. This car is "almost" to the point where I am suprised at how much power it has everytime I jam on the gas. I think with a few mods I can get there.

The Kinetix manifold is damn sexy though and is a shame if it doesn't live up to its claims stated on the web site. I hope that the results that WhosUrBuddiee gives are conclusive one way or another, but either way, I appreciate your guys' input in my thread.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 AM
doesn't g352NV have this intake manifold? What has he said about it?

Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Kinetix makes a beautiful manifold cover for the SSV also. I can't remember where I saw thet pics, but it was HOT!!!! I'll go searching for it............

BTW, if you are considering a plenum or plenum spacer, there is a shootout in the new SportZ magazine. They were all very close, but the motordyne spacers were the winners (IMO). plus, they are only about $250.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
click the link for a pic of the SSV manifold and new engine cover!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kinetix Manifold VS. Crawford Plenum