Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Need help Intake questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help Intake questions

Ok I got a few questions.. First of all did the Injen change there design? I heard the first on actually lost power. How would the Injen compare to the stillen w/ 350z pipe? how much is it for a new 350z pipe? Does anyone have any dynos or opinion that can help me choose witch 1 would be better. I know there are plenty of threads on intakes but I think this one is a lil diff since I actually ask a question compared to witch 1 is better.. I like the looks of the injen but to me using the oem "ram" air or heat shield box seems to make more sence.. But this is also my first intake purchase ever LoL!!

Thanx in advance...

Old 08-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Re: Need help Intake questions

Do you have an automatic or a manual? My understanding is that for the automatic, the Injen intake is the same design it always was, but they did come out with a new design for the manual. It was the original design on the manual coupes that was losing power and/or having other problems in some cases.

I've got an Injen on my manual coupe and it is one of the later, redesigned ones. Didn't have it dynoe'd before hand so I can't say w/ absolute certainty what difference it made. But, for what it is worth, it did seem to be an improvement to the butt dyno, and the improvement has lasted for many months and many thousands of miles now w/o going away. No problems with fuel economy, idling or anything else.

Personally though, if I had to do it over again, I would get the 350Z pipe and either the Stillen intake (even though I think the Stillen price is way too high!) or a Jim Wolf intake which also comes with a heat shield that somewhat mimics the stock box. More of a factory look, easier to clean and maintain and probably give you the same or very close on HP.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:29 PM

yes I have a manual tranny.. Im also a lil concerned about water. The last few weeks it has rain hard in jersey and was going through very high puddles.. So my question is how high/low is the injen intake? Can this be a real problem? Im looking for make proformance with as least price as possible. I like the Stillen idea with the heat shield but I love how the injen looks!! Thanx for your imput and anything else you got for me he he

Old 08-19-2003, 08:18 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a short ram intake...you'll never have to worry about sucking up water. Check out pics in my profile

Old 08-19-2003, 08:37 PM

If the water you drive through is high enough to flow inside the lower two eggcrate grilles in the spoiler (about equal to halfway up the wheel right at the hub) then go with Stillen for sure. If you don't drive through water that high - then don't worry. Moist air won't hurt it, the heat and filter will remove most of the moisture to a negligible amount during normal driving - you would have to have actual puddles which were so high they completely soaked the entire filter and you sucked up water. Most people probably don't drive regularly through 8-10" deep water to make it an issue - if you do, get the Stillen

Old 08-19-2003, 09:03 PM

kk now that I think of it those puddles arent an everyday thing. maybe 3 times in umm 3 years.. I think the stillen makes the most sense cause it uses the stock ram air and has a heat shield with the high flow filter and 350z pipe removes both resinators.. Injen looks a lot better gets colder air from undercar with the high flow filter.. This is what my problem is THIS SUCKS!!! There are so many highs/low between them..

Think im going to flip a quarter..

Old 08-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, enough of this short ram nonesense. You can spin things all you want about their being enough air flow under the hood to not effect the temps that a short ram inhales, it's a myth and one that has been proven as FASLE. Fact is, even at speeds up to 80mph, a short ram intake will breath air that is significantly hotter than the air than what a system that doesn not get it's air from under the hood will draw. Allot of these kids and their honda's that have short rams do it cause they don't want to spend the money on a CAI and allot of them do it cause they don't know the facts. I think G35 owners are different on both counts. CAI air is colder, than short ram air, colder air = denser air = more oxygen = more power. Do not waste your money on a short ram.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2003, 12:08 AM

Ok NO SHORT RAM but what about the stillen intake with the 350z pipe?

Old 08-20-2003, 11:31 PM

infidsg35,

I was one of the first (or maybe the first) to mate the Z-pipe with the Stillen, but dspisak was the first to try the Z-pipe.

I have never really trusted the Injen design. It is prone to hydrolock, sits too low to the street which could suck up heat, aluminum (metal) gets hot in the engine compartment thus heating the air inside, filter is difficult to get to when in need of cleaning, and not to mention the potentially dangerous problems some 6MT drivers are reporting with stalling engines. The problems listed above can be fixed by the owner but at a price. A bypass valve can be added for the hydrolocking issues, Insulation can be wrapped around the metal that can get hot (won't look pretty), and Injen can put out an offical recall to owners and finally replace the unit with a safer one.

I think that if you like some polished aluminum under the hood with documented HP gains above the reported Stillen unit, then the Injen is for you. There have also been reports of Stillen Corp scamming customers (only one I have heard of), but I have never had that type of experience with them.

The Stillen and Z-pipe combo is the better alternative IMO. The Z-Pipe is made of plastic and will not conduct heat the way metal does. The Z-pipe is also an OEM part and I also feel more comfortable using it (also looks like it should be there). The Stillen unit comes with a heat shield that looks OEM and the power duct flap pops right into the heat shield for more of an OEM look. The Stillen also come with a K&N cone filter and a venturi ring to increase intake air flow. The unit draws air in the same way the original box did (Ram Air). The unit goes in easy and no bumper removal is necessary.

The power gains were very noticable right off the bat, and suspect that 11 HP is not too far off of reality. When I added the Z-pipe on the Stillen, I noticed a slight increase of power, but more importantly, I heard the VQ35 roar! This is a must have mod if you want to feel how your car is acting.

If you want to hear it, I made an MP3 and Pesti was nice enough to host it on his site. My apologies for the long post, but I thought I could offer up good info as an owner of thos mods you inquired about.

Old 08-21-2003, 12:13 AM

WOW looks like you put your time and effort into choosing a Intake.. Thank you soo much you have pretty much convinced me to go with the Stillen/350z pipe.. You dont work for Stillen do you? Just kidding .. Ok now with the important questions where is the best place to get this 350z pipe? Dealership? How much is it? What about the Stillen unit? From them direct. I'm looking for the best price and fast delivery!! Any info would be great.

Thanx again Mbarrad..

Old 08-21-2003, 04:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed my 350Z pipe today, very noticable deep roar with my Stillen Hi-Flow too. It does "feel how your car is acting." Thanks Mbarrad

A good place to find 350Z stock pipes are from your own town(meetups/cruise, mall parkings, car shows, neighbors, and forums): leave a note on thier wind shields. ...you'll end up getting it free like me from those who already mod thier Z.

Well, this is a good combo alright. Too bad: 10mm socket fell behind the stillen box and 8mm next the throttle body. What does it take to check if they've really fallen out on the road?

Old 08-21-2003, 05:39 PM

I installed my Z pipe yesterday. This morning's drive was a real pleasure. As previously written, the roar from under the hood was very noticeable. I'll probably use a K&N filter for now and then get the Stillen box at a later date. Personally, I think the Stillen box looks much cleaner and more OEM, which is nice.

-townsley-
2003 Brilliant Silver Premium Sedan
Z Inlet, K&N Filter, Tinted, Grounded

Old 08-21-2003, 06:43 PM

Help here: what is the deal with the z pipe????
I think this is a beeter pip off the z car right? and it doews what?
Excuse me if i missed a thread somewhere

Old 08-21-2003, 09:23 PM

I went to go and buy a 350z pipe today. It was 110$ new.. Does that sound right? If not where can i get

Geezer:
The G35 pipe has 2 resignators built in to restrict air flow witch the 350z pipe doesnt.. It also looks cleaner, straighter, and a lil wider..

Old 08-21-2003, 10:58 PM

infidsg35,
No, I don't work for Stillen...[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img] Just happy about my mods. Even happier that I could help a fellow enthusiast out. The best place to get the Z-Pipe is going to be with an online retailor. I'm sure someone can post some links. I paid $100.18 for mine at a Nissan dealership. Good luck with your search. Glad I could help.

Geezer,

I have included a link to a thread with pics of the stock pipe in which the Z-Pipe replaces. There is also a pic of my Z-Pipe / Stillen combo. Hope this helps.
https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help Intake questions