G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Intake & Exhaust (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust-23/)
-   -   My latest LC modification (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/96628-my-latest-lc-modification.html)

DaveO 04-25-2006 05:54 PM

My latest LC modification

3 Attachment(s)
Picture #1 - the old semi-polished lower collector. #28 of 28 with oil coating the collectors.

Picture #2 - A seriously modified lower collector.

Picture #3 - The old polished upper collector.

The results seem positive but it's too soon to tell for sure.

DaveO

Jeff92se 04-25-2006 05:58 PM

Nice. Is the polishing the only mod?

DaveO 04-25-2006 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nice. Is the polishing the only mod?

No. In the old days we whould have called it ported (slightly), pollished and relieved.

DaveO

Andy2434 04-29-2006 11:35 AM

Very interesting there, Dave. Looks really good . . . But what is the story with the "Seriously Modified," lower collector? Hehehe . . . Whatcha got up your sleeves? ;) :D

DaveO 04-29-2006 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by andy2434
Very interesting there, Dave. Looks really good . . . But what is the story with the "Seriously Modified," lower collector? Hehehe . . . Whatcha got up your sleeves? ;) :D

Start with MREV-2 and spend a whole bunch of time polishing away all casting roughness. Add a 1/2" spacer and go for it.

The dyno-butt and G-Tech results are truely impressive.

DaveO

Andy2434 04-29-2006 11:58 AM

You sneaky devil, you . . . You got a hold of the new MREV 2 lower collector already. LOL . . . I'm sure there is a lot more that you're not telling us. Just leave us poor saps hanging, right? ;) :D

DaveO 04-29-2006 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by andy2434
You sneaky devil, you . . . You got a hold of the new MREV 2 lower collector already. LOL . . . I'm sure there is a lot more that you're not telling us. Just leave us poor saps hanging, right? ;) :D

You guys now know what I know about the my current lower collector. I'm working on the old semi-polished one now. Maybe there's 1 or 2 more ft-lbs of torque and/or horsepower to find in this one.

DaveO

Foo_G 04-30-2006 09:12 PM

Hey DaveO,

I am thinking about buying an upper and doing the same thing. I was going to pay to have it done. Any idea what the costs would be? Or would you care to share what you sed to polish it?

truplay8 04-30-2006 09:57 PM

nice work

mercury3545 04-30-2006 11:36 PM

I see you talking about the MREV 2, is that a new one they are coming out with?

DaveO 05-01-2006 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Foo_G
Hey DaveO,

I am thinking about buying an upper and doing the same thing. I was going to pay to have it done. Any idea what the costs would be? Or would you care to share what you sed to polish it?

I polished the upper (and lower) collector using a Dremel (rotary grinder) with various grinding, sanding and polishing attachments. I also used 220 and finer wet-dry sandpaper.

Originally Posted by mercury3545
I see you talking about the MREV 2, is that a new one they are coming out with?

Yes.

DaveO

Foo_G 05-01-2006 10:21 PM

Thanks DaveO. I am pretty certain I am going to follow suit. I am installing the ISO Thermal Kit and want to polish the top as well. Since I will be using the ISO and have my engine cover off do you think there will be much of a negative effect on the heat exchange?

DaveO 05-02-2006 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Foo_G
Thanks DaveO. I am pretty certain I am going to follow suit. I am installing the ISO Thermal Kit and want to polish the top as well. Since I will be using the ISO and have my engine cover off do you think there will be much of a negative effect on the heat exchange?

I don't think so. A while back Mike (OCG35) and I did separate testing of plenum temps with Motordyne's 1st (prototype) Iso Thermal gasket. The temps were close especially when you consider Mike lives in the L.A. basin and I live in the desert. The commerical IT gasket works even better.

DaveO

Foo_G 05-02-2006 07:46 AM

I guess all I need now is a few hours of elbow grease. Thanks again.

speedgeek 05-02-2006 11:27 AM

Great info, thanks. Looks sweet.
I'm installing my MREV plus tonight, so you pretty much took the MREV LC and dremeled off all the rough edges? I read somewhere a while back that a little turbulence in the intake is good, so I was hesitant in dremeling anything out. Should I smooth out those Casting Squares on top of each intake port, like the MREV Plus port?

Thanks