Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Crawford Plenum Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crawford Plenum Installed

Put the plenum on in about 45 minutes. Only concern was the 2 replacement 10 MM bolts inside the plenum. No lockwashers provided though instructions say to use. I opted for LockTight as this is inside the intake and a loose bolt would trash an engine. I suggest using LockTight or similar.
Perforamnce had to go catch an airplane and drove it maybe 3 miles. My butt-o-meter is not very accurate, no conclusions but pulled right up to 6800 with ease.
No strong impressions one way or the other. but installation was painless and engine idles at 450 rpm (w/o A/C).
Those of you who have installed Crawford - did you reset ECU?

Who in Arlington got yours this week also?

Old 09-12-2003, 08:59 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Crawford Plenum Installed

Hi Mike_Tx, Mine should arrive this week, and am looking forward to installing it. Sounds like the install was relatively painless, and with care went well for you. Did you install a new gasket? (BTW, mine's a Coupe, Yours?)
You say the idle was at 450 w/o A/C---- Did that drop from the stock 650 then? I believe mine is 650-700 stock.
Locktite sounds good on the inside bolts anyway. You don't want those babies getting sucked inside- ouch.
I will install the plenum and drive it, then reset the ECU for a comparison (butt dyno only here too), but I've heard a 10-15 hp increase, so should be noticeable.
Any problems with the engine cover or any rubbing after install?
Thanks and good luck.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 09-13-2003, 09:27 AM

I'm getting my car within the next few days in Arlington, but I'm going to drive it for a while before modding it. I DO want a Crawford Plenum though...unfortunately, I cannot get over this damn ECU thing that seems to need a reset constantly to take advantage of any mods.

I guess what I'm saying is that I will wait until someone proves once and for all that the ECU reset really does make a difference using a REAL dyno and not the BUTT dyno.

Daxx

G35 Coupe 6MT / DG-G / Premium / NAV (on order)

Old 09-13-2003, 09:33 AM

Used the old gasket, the top came off w/o any problem, no sticking or tearing of the gasket. Mine is a coupe 6MT. Never paid any attention to the idle before as A/C has been on, but idle is so smooth can't tell its running. One other install comment, there is some stress induced from the welding & the unit is not as flat as the old on the front, so torque from the inside out when tightening those bolts. Have not put the engine cover back on, will wait until I know all is well, but suspect it will rub.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:31 PM

Doug Stewart at Crawford "Z" Car, places no credence in the ECU reset theory. I have a few mods on my 6MT Coupe, Intake and exhaust, and of course the plenum. I have never reset my ECU. IMO, the power level has remained constant with each change. Also, IMHO, the Crawford is the best bang for the buck out there.

Lou

Old 09-13-2003, 09:03 PM
O.F. Administrator

I'm glad to hear the idle is good. No leaks for sure.
Thanks for the head-up on the bolt tightening.
I'll post when mine is installed.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 09-13-2003, 11:58 PM

Hey Mike. What is up. That was me with the Plenum in Arlington. I love it. Here is my post over at freshalloy.com that talks about my thoughts on the mod.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Looks like there are more and more coupes in North Arlington. I have had mine since November, but just recently I have seen more around town.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 09/14/03 11:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-14-2003, 04:26 AM
RKG

I'm sorry can somebody please explain what this product is and what it does and where i can get it??? and how much?

Old 09-14-2003, 09:41 AM

Had seen your post. The only sound difference I hear is the timing chain or similar and I suspect the engine cover might dampen that, its still off.

I am up by Sherman, so don't see a whole lot of the cars around here.

Think I will try the Stillen Exhaust next.

Enjoy...

Old 09-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the last time, the ecu reset does work:
after i installed my ecu, my idle was dropping way below normal. i did all 3 resets that are on the technosquare site, and now my idle is back to normal. everything runs correctly again.

G35S 6MT
K&N Typhoon intake
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts (soon)
6-wire ground kit

Old 09-16-2003, 11:34 PM
O.F. Administrator

Got my Crawford Pl. today and will post with pics and install this week.
GSM

Old 09-18-2003, 08:22 AM

Mike_Tx - Please check your private messages.

Thanks - Larry Bushaw

Larry Bushaw - 6MT coupe - "Second place is the first looser"

Old 09-18-2003, 12:34 PM

<a href="http://www.clicksync.com/plenum/">Here is a link to my Idiot's Guide to installing the Plenum.</a>

--Steve

Old 09-18-2003, 05:10 PM
O.F. Administrator

Zimbo, Thanks for the link bro. Only other instructions I've read are the one's on Crawford's site.
There may be many new installs soon with peeps buying in ..... is the tutorial you've done something that we can post to our 'FAQ/DIY' Forum?
Thanks again...... I'll be installing mine this weekend.

Old 09-18-2003, 05:42 PM

gsedanman,

Hope to see you at the next meet, really interested in the Crawfords plenum. Did Doug ship directly to your home or did you have to pay any duties/custom fees?
Enjoy your new mod and post some pics if you can.

Thanks

2003 G35 Sedan 6MT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crawford Plenum Installed