Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Adhesives and Bonding agents

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adhesives and Bonding agents

Need a little input from the modders out there. I need a permanent bonding agent that will adhere to CF or fiberglass. The composite bonding to the CF is yet undetermined but will "most likely" be some type of plastic composite hard to semi-hard in composition. Any suggestion of an epoxy, glue, 2 part system that will fuse the two material to make a premanent bond?
Thanks

Old 10-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
you'll have to elaborate more, the correct bonding agent depends on the mounting and plastic material. Some plastic will just not bond to other materials making it difficult to join with fg/cf. Do you need something you can just apply to the surface and stick to the cf/fg or is it something that can be "molded" onto the fg/cf so that a base and support can be built up encasing the plastic part. This would be the preferred method but it depends on the application.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM
I'll try to elaborate. What I need is a bonding agent AND a composite that can be permanetly bonded together. I need some type of composite (plastic) that can be cut and shaped, then glued to CF. Once bonded, there will be something else then attatched to the plastic portion via screws and another or the same bonding agent. So, what type of composite "plastic" and what type of "glue"? The requirements are that the glue/epoxy must hold under heat +100, cold -0 and able to withstand road and engine vibration. Sorry don't mean to be cryptic but it involves my new CF hood.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just use fiberglass or epozy resin with some fiberglass mat for strength. This may or may not be necessary, but its hard to determine the size since you are being "cryptic" FG/Epoxy resin with stick to a cf hood for sure since thats probably what its made of already. If its possible, I would drill some holes into the cf if you are attaching it to the skeleton so the resin can seep into the holes and make a stronger bond.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Just use fiberglass or epozy resin with some fiberglass mat for strength. This may or may not be necessary, but its hard to determine the size since you are being "cryptic" FG/Epoxy resin with stick to a cf hood for sure since thats probably what its made of already. If its possible, I would drill some holes into the cf if you are attaching it to the skeleton so the resin can seep into the holes and make a stronger bond.
Thats exactly what I was thinking but wanted to confirm it. Thanks

Old 10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Never enough
CF has fiberglass resin in it. So Yes resin is what you want. Make sure you sand both sides that your bonding with 180.