Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Door Panel Removal Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door Panel Removal Question

I've been on a mission to eliminate some rattles in my 2003 G35. I was able to resolve a rattle in the passenger side dash with use of lots of adhesive backed felt, and one wedge. I'll declare victory if the rattle doesn't come back in a month. What's interesting to note here is that I didn't have any rattle from this area until the dealer replaced my CD disk exchanger (under warranty). Two trips to the dealer failed to resolve the dealer induced rattle.

I'm now trying to resolve a rattle in the drivers side front door. I previously tried to remove the door panel, but got to a point where I wasn't sure whether I just needed more "oomph" to finish pulling it off, or whether there were some screws I couldn't see. I have done a forum search but didn't find a DIY on removing the door panel, and maybe I just didn't use the correct keywords. Any suggestions?

Note that I've found a TSB for the door rattle, and it appears to address exactly what is happening in my G35. I'm eager to gete started, just don't want to screw up my door panel in the process.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not post in the correct forum. Could this post be moved to Tech Area/Body Interior Exterior Lighting/Interior?

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUMP...

I'm also courious on this one. Can Anyone help?

Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If someone actually does this, please take the time to picture and document the process for a DIY.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'll do it. . .I've taken my door panels off a handful of times. I'm going to try and throw my rear speakers in tonight, and when I do I'll take pictures. For now, he's a write-up (off the top of my head): Oh yeah, this is for a coupe. I'm assuming a sedan isn't THAT much different.

Tools:
Flat head screwdriver
long phillips head screwdriver

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove plastic square in front of lock/latch mechanism with flathead screw driver. This exposes first screw. (See 2nd pic.)
2. Remove door handle cover with flat head screw driver. There is a rectangular slot underneath for the flat head. (See 3rd pic.) Be gentle! Don't want to break this plastic piece! This will expose the last two screws holding the door on. (See first pic, the circled parts are where screws hide. . .at least on my coupe.)
3. Use Phillips head screwdriver to remove three bolts and set aside.
4. Use flathead screwdriver to gently pop the window roll down switch panel up, and disconnect the wiring harness.
5. Use flathead on very bottom of panel in rectangular slots (see pic 4) to gently pop the door panel off of the door (plastic pop rivets or whatever they're called). There's a bunch of these that only line the bottom and front of the panel.
6. Slide door panel up, it hangs down in at the window.
7. Disconnect door light wiring harness, door latch and door lock.
8. Done and done!

Keep in mind this is off the top of my head right now. I'll try to get the pics up later tonight.

-andrew

Attached Thumbnails Door Panel Removal Question-hpim0694.jpg   Door Panel Removal Question-hpim0695.jpg   Door Panel Removal Question-hpim0697.jpg   Door Panel Removal Question-hpim0699.jpg  

Last edited by Drewer; 03-16-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
stupid $80 digital camera! Sorry guys. . .not only did the pics not turn out. . .they didn't show up in my camera at all! Grrr! I'll work on it tomorrow. . .

-andrew

Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
;-) it's raining here so you got one more day then i'm comming to hunt you down! It's not too far of a drive from MA to WA!!!