Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More

Need to paint my OEM grill Black. What do I need exactly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007 | 05:47 PM
|
Need to paint my OEM grill Black. What do I need exactly?

I just received A used OEM grill, that I bought from a member here. I now want to paint it. I think I will try to do it myself. So I was wondering exactly what it is I need, (sand paper, paint, primer, and all of that) Can you guys help me out with all the products and steps I need to take to do this project correctly? Thank you.
And once again, I want to that JDM G35 for getting this thing to me. Thanx buddy.

Old 04-02-2007 | 05:49 PM
Sand paper, primer, and high heat spray paint would be my guess. Sand paper to sand it down and get all of the composites off the grill, primer so that the paint sticks and, high heat sprat paint to paint it the color you want.

Old 04-02-2007 | 05:59 PM
I don't think you need high heat. Do you want to omit the infiniti emblem or leave it as is? IMHO, if you have a compressor, invest in an inexpensive autopaint gun and do it right. PREP IS KEY!!! Go to an autobody supply shop and ask the guy behind the counter, he will know more than most guys on here!

You will prepsol (Dewaxer, etc)
Sandpaper in various grits from 800-3000
Primer (Possibly self etching?)
Possibly some body filler for any chips and niks in the grill

Rubber gloves
Paint Reducer
etc

I suppose you can try duplicolor out of the spray can but don't think you will get great results on a piece that large.

Old 04-02-2007 | 06:40 PM
|
I am actually not the one doing it. My neighbor is, and he actually has the spray paint gun, or whatever its called. I just need to buy him all of the products and he will do the rest. He told me to go into the store and they would tell me what I need exactly but I fugured I would ask you guys first.
Hey Diesel, I hope you still have the Menzerna sealent that i was supposed to buy from you. When can we meet.
Anyone else.

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by GThIrtYFiZle
I am actually not the one doing it. My neighbor is, and he actually has the spray paint gun, or whatever its called. I just need to buy him all of the products and he will do the rest. He told me to go into the store and they would tell me what I need exactly but I fugured I would ask you guys first.
Hey Diesel, I hope you still have the Menzerna sealent that i was supposed to buy from you. When can we meet.
Anyone else.
Still have the FMJ. Perhaps this weekend if it aint raining.

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:42 AM
I did it myself also. Sand the grill to remove the "chrome" finish. Clean it very well to remove any dust, particles, etc. Prime with plastic primer, then use several coats of whatever paint you would like to use. I used flat black high heat paint although I don't think I needed to. I then used 2 coats of clear to finish. It is very easy as long as you know how to use a rattle can. Here's the finished product:

Good luck

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:07 AM
Its a REEEALLLY easy job cause I'm retarded when it comes to things like this and I even did it! LOL But all u gotta do is sand it down, primer, some coats of paint and some clear coat and ur done

Old 04-03-2007 | 05:08 PM
|
Actually guys, Im sure it is pretty easy to do. But I went by a body shop by me today, and come to find out my boy works there. They will do it on Friday and I will pick it up on Saturday. Im doing it Gloss black. They are charging me 50-70 dollars, compared to the other place who said 200. At that price I might as well have them do it cuz I am sure I cant make it look better than them. And anyway, the paint alone might come out o be about that much correct, so why not.