Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Removing window tint.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 06:11 PM
|
Removing window tint.

Can anyone that has removed tint before give me some tips for removing tint off an 04 coupe? The stuff that is on there is like 75% and way to light. I am used to 5% from previous cars and would rather not pay the shop to remove it and have that done already. How bad is removing the tint off the rear window? It looks like a real problem.

Old 03-31-2008 | 06:25 PM
kiss your rear defrost good bye...my advice is just leave it alone but if you must have it off use a heat gun on low keep the gun moving if you leave it in 1 spot too long you will break the window...after about 5 minutes start pulling the tint off and then get some warm soapy water and razor blades and start scraping...be careful not to cut yourself and repeat this process on the rest of your windows and as far as the back window if your ins. will cover it just break it and get a new one

Old 03-31-2008 | 06:32 PM
If the tint is in good condition, just have them put another piece over the back and it will be darker and you won't run the risk of ruining your defrosters.

Old 03-31-2008 | 06:36 PM
|
the tint looks in good shape actually... I just don't like the idea of having an almost not there tint. Can you tell that there is two pieces on there after they are done normally?

Old 03-31-2008 | 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by clifftrail
If the tint is in good condition, just have them put another piece over the back and it will be darker and you won't run the risk of ruining your defrosters.
that will just cause more problems... you can only do that when you first get the tint.. like say i want 20% but want it darker they will just put another 20% over it.

Old 03-31-2008 | 09:34 PM
Thats not accurate, if its clear and in good condition another coat will not hurt and done properly you won't be able to tell its two coats. Its a much better option that damaging the defroster lines or breaking the rear glass for a replacement.

Old 04-10-2008 | 04:28 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by G35Sask
Can anyone that has removed tint before give me some tips for removing tint off an 04 coupe? The stuff that is on there is like 75% and way to light. I am used to 5% from previous cars and would rather not pay the shop to remove it and have that done already. How bad is removing the tint off the rear window? It looks like a real problem.

Use a steamer comes right off. Peals off gently. Does not ruin your defroster either. I have done it before more than once.

Last edited by barrios35; 04-10-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2008 | 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by G35Ian
kiss your rear defrost good bye...my advice is just leave it alone but if you must have it off use a heat gun on low keep the gun moving if you leave it in 1 spot too long you will break the window...after about 5 minutes start pulling the tint off and then get some warm soapy water and razor blades and start scraping...be careful not to cut yourself and repeat this process on the rest of your windows and as far as the back window if your ins. will cover it just break it and get a new one
Honestly, man and im not one to flame, that is horrible advice. U will not crack a window with a heat gun unless the glass is cold, like winter time cold. If u dont have access to a steamer, get a garbage bag, duct tape and ammonia in a spray bottle. Tape the garbage bag around the window...on the inside. Spray a 50/50 solution of ammonia and water onto the tint side of the glass, let that sonbtch sit in the sun for 45 minutes, soak the hell out of it and then tape it closed so the water and stuff stays in. Go back to the car and viola, tint should come right off.

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by CreativeDesignZ
Honestly, man and im not one to flame, that is horrible advice. U will not crack a window with a heat gun unless the glass is cold, like winter time cold. If u dont have access to a steamer, get a garbage bag, duct tape and ammonia in a spray bottle. Tape the garbage bag around the window...on the inside. Spray a 50/50 solution of ammonia and water onto the tint side of the glass, let that sonbtch sit in the sun for 45 minutes, soak the hell out of it and then tape it closed so the water and stuff stays in. Go back to the car and viola, tint should come right off.
^+1 just did that last week...

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Beebo
^+1 just did that last week...
in doing that does it take off all the glue also ?
any problems with the defrost ?

sounds messy and stinky but I desp[erately want to retint my rear window..it's getting that purple color, and the previous owner had the tint cut out around the 3rd brake light which I don't like.

Old 04-11-2008 | 06:40 PM
its really not all that bad, i worked at a shop and had to remove tint quite alot and i found it to be quite easy. If you do it correctly most of the glue comes with it so not much scraping is neccessary. Hope this helps you, and next time around get urself some tint with a lifetime warantee, like some safegard or 3m!

Old 04-12-2008 | 07:37 PM
You must be in a nice cop area if 5% doesn't get u ticketed. On my other car with my 35% tints I was getting ticketed for tint on avg 3-4 times a month. To the point where I took it off.

Old 04-12-2008 | 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by 68_GT
in doing that does it take off all the glue also ?
any problems with the defrost ?

sounds messy and stinky but I desp[erately want to retint my rear window..it's getting that purple color, and the previous owner had the tint cut out around the 3rd brake light which I don't like.
it took all the glue off... no problems at all defrost works great

Old 04-18-2008 | 01:39 AM
If Anyone in the SoCal area needs to remove or tint their G, Please PM me. I'v e been tinting for 3 years and can remove or tint your G no problem.

Old 04-18-2008 | 02:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by jhu1011
If Anyone in the SoCal area needs to remove or tint their G, Please PM me. I'v e been tinting for 3 years and can remove or tint your G no problem.
Wish you were close to me lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing window tint.