Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Painting my own bumpers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
There are too many factors involved to even consider doing this.
You really need a dust free enviroment first off, all the crap that will end up

If you want to learn, then spend the money and buy a compressor and a good Paint gun....devilbiss or comparable.

A spray gun will put down a thicker more even coat of paint. You have more control as well.

To do it right, you would need to sand down the bumper, do any repairs, prime, sand, touch up any spots with final bondo, then spray your flex coat, then several coats of color and finally clear. Then it should bake in an oven for an hour to help cure the paint.
Then after that is done, baring any imperfections, you need to wet sand,then polish/compound and wax.
+++1 compressor and paint gun, never spray cans...they end up spitting chunks when it gets clogged. Paint, clearcoat, reducers, hardeners, etc. cost about $90-120 around here and it's enough to do 2 bumpers and sideskirts.

+++1 dust free environment, a home garage will do, but take out anything that you care about, including any cars...paint will fly. Don't do it outside, not matter how nice the weather is....pollen, insects, bugs, etc will take a swim on your wet paint.

+++1 on prep work, sanding, bondo, re-sanding, bondo again, it'll probably be the hardest thing to do, IMO.

^These are the best things to keep in mind when practicing and learning, I say ask those people you see driving around with half-a$$ed, different color bumpers/body kits and ask them if if they want a free paint job with no gaurantees ...i'm sure they'll bite.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any way you put it, its going to come out bad.

Try and paint something simple like the grill first, when you see how hard that is you might change your mind about doing the bumper.

Also by the time you buy...

Paint Gun
Compressor
Paint
Clear
Additives(flex, fish eye helper, and I'm sure a bunch more)
Sandpaper
Bondo
Primer
Mask
Tape
Porter cable with all the pads.

If you add up all of the things to do it right, it will be alot more than paying a shop. Also even with all of the tools you need to do it right, it will still come out bad.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
basically.. don't do it unless you want to spend more money, or are going to be painting many things, and don't mind screwing up 10 times

Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I need the bud-light that says "DUDE."

After I had my morning chuckle I have to tell you that you do not try this at home kids. You have a car that had a 35K price tag new, painting the bumper by hand would be a big mistake.

Yeah, I had both bumpers repainted and your price was about right, mine were like 285 each and worth every penny.

In my distant past I managed an auto body paint shop sooooo, dude, don't do it yourself.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 PM
the only thing you may do yourself is wash your car,
and change the oil, air filters, bulbs, etc