Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How do you tell the difference?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2008 | 03:09 AM
|
How do you tell the difference?

I was just wondering how one would be able to distinguish between an authentic Gialla grille (for G35 Coupe) and a replica one? Are there any sort of physical or visible traits that one can use to distinguish one from the other?

The reaons I'm asking this is because I found some guy over the internet (who's local) selling his Gialla grill for $200. His ad claims that it is an authentic Gialla grill from Japan. I just want to make sure that I'm not ripped off.

The other question I have is, if this really was an authentic Gialla grille how much would you guys say a used one is worth in CAD?

*Note: Please keep in mind I'm from Canada, not the states.

Old 09-19-2008 | 03:58 AM
japanese instructions! haha only way

Old 09-19-2008 | 08:47 AM
A real gialla also retails for 450 plus without a paint job....so even if it is an authentic then the paint job must look bad or something is wrong with it

fitment should be dead on also....if hes local go try it out and test fit it...it only takes four pop holders and snapping out the bottom part to remove the grille

Old 09-19-2008 | 12:12 PM
|
Originally Posted by urbnmat
A real gialla also retails for 450 plus without a paint job....so even if it is an authentic then the paint job must look bad or something is wrong with it

fitment should be dead on also....if hes local go try it out and test fit it...it only takes four pop holders and snapping out the bottom part to remove the grille
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Why would somebody sell it for so cheap right? It's most likely a replica...

Is there a DIY guide somewhere on this forum? I'm too lazy to look it up

Old 09-19-2008 | 09:21 PM
|
Originally Posted by Karson83
I was just wondering how one would be able to distinguish between an authentic Gialla grille (for G35 Coupe) and a replica one? Are there any sort of physical or visible traits that one can use to distinguish one from the other?

The reaons I'm asking this is because I found some guy over the internet (who's local) selling his Gialla grill for $200. His ad claims that it is an authentic Gialla grill from Japan. I just want to make sure that I'm not ripped off.

The other question I have is, if this really was an authentic Gialla grille how much would you guys say a used one is worth in CAD?

*Note: Please keep in mind I'm from Canada, not the states.
^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^^
^^
^^
^^

TTT

Does anybody have any other suggestions as to how one can differentiate an authentic grille vs. replica?

Old 09-19-2008 | 09:38 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I donno, either way it's a good price, def. test fit it before you buy it, you don't need instructions how to put it on, a preschooler could do it, just look how you take it out and put it on the opposite.

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:59 AM
Unfortunately there are no markings on the authentic Gialla.. which kinda sucks. I've had one before and its really hard to tell.. besides the instructions plus fitment.

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:17 PM
|
Originally Posted by imalazeeass
Unfortunately there are no markings on the authentic Gialla.. which kinda sucks. I've had one before and its really hard to tell.. besides the instructions plus fitment.
So I guess the best way to ask the guy for the instructions as well. Does anybody have a copy or knows how the Gialla instructions look like? Any symbol or logo in order for me to indentify from? Do you think the guy would go as far as to duplicate or produce a fake copy of the Gialla instructions just to sell his grill and make $200?

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:41 PM
still fitment should be dead on regardless...i mean like all the corners are flush and everything looks right

Old 09-20-2008 | 05:03 PM
heres mine :-)

Old 09-20-2008 | 05:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by hyperlite21
heres mine :-)
Hey Hyper, thanks a lot! I really appreciate you taking the time to take a picture and posting it up!

Now I know what to look for when I go and see the grill from the guy.

Old 09-21-2008 | 02:38 AM
np always trying to help out a fellow g enthusiast

Old 09-21-2008 | 06:45 PM
|
Originally Posted by hyperlite21
np always trying to help out a fellow g enthusiast
Hey Hyper,

I'm wondering if you've heard any problems about the Ionic replica Gialla grill because I found a local guy (different to this other one I'm talking about in this thread) and he's got an Ionic replica grill for sale. He told me that he's never installed it before but he's selling it because he's done some research and apparently there's not way to match the colour of his G (which is IP, the same as my colour). I'm wondering if you or anybody here knows any details about this?

Old 09-21-2008 | 06:50 PM
hey hey, more fellow vancouver g35 drivers

hit up niclub.ca we got one last meet for this year comming up!

Old 09-21-2008 | 09:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The original Gialla is made out of a pretty strong and flexible ABS plastic. It will have a black metal brace in middle.

Fitment is pretty good, the one that we used to make our replicas wasn't that good, I've seen better, but we were able to make adjustments before making the molds.

Most differences that I've seen regarding the Gialla grills is:
Original
a) ABS plastic
b) Black metal middle brace.
c) Black metal mesh

Our gialla replicas are:
a) hand laid fiberglass
b) no brace.
c) custom automesh plastic mesh

Other replicas that I have seen:
a) chop fiberglass.
b) unpainted fiberglass middle brace with a rough surface.
c) cheap metal mesh
d) bad fitment.

If you are local just be sure to test fit before handing over any money. I've had people try to sell other replicas as mine, once here on the forums and another time on ebay, so look out.

BTW every IP grill is color matched to my IP coupe, so I don't understand how that person claims that it couldn't be color matched.

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you tell the difference?