Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

DIY - 05/06 G35 OEM Front Lip install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY - 05/06 G35 OEM Front Lip install

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a brand spanking new OEM lip for the front bumber from a member on here (Thanks MaximumHP). Well, long story short, we were missing the templates and instructions on how to install this thing. After extensive search online and through dealerships, I came up empty and decided to tackle the job myself with the help of two of my buddies (thanks Vasil and Bobbie). Overall the install was not so bad. One suggestion is to have someone helping you out to line up the lip properly. Well, on to the DIY:

Items you will need:

Flat screw driver - to remove plastic clips
10mm socket - get the underbody off and tighten the washers
Drill and 7/32nds drill bit - drill holes
Either two jacks or jack stands to have the front in the air.
Hardware - washers, clips etc. (comes with the lip)
12pack and a grill - keep you happy in the process

Steps:

1. Jack up the car so you have enough room underneath. This helped me a lot because the car is lower and it is super hard to get underneath there. Be prepared to spend some time under the car so it better be confortobale.

2. Remove the plastic underbody cover. My car has less bolts holding it but you get the idea so I'm not going to list out each spot that has a bolt. Use 10mm socket to do this and a screw driver to get the clips out. I did not take the cover off completely, just lowered the front so i can get behind the bumper.

3. Have a beer and come to realization that you just completed 3rd of what you need to do.

4. Now onto the interesting stuff. Take the lip and line it up to the bumper. Start with lining up the middle. Bumper has a bend right in the center and so does the lip. Make sure the to align 100%. Then mark off with Sharpie or I just indented the bumper slightly to see the marks of where the bolts touch the bumper.

I don't have a picture as all of us were lining it up and drilling...To give an idea of the bend, look at this pic

5. Set the lip down and drill two holes in the spots you just marked with 7/32 drill bit.

6. Grab the lip and insert the bolts into the freshly drilled holes. This will allow you to line up the sides. Make sure the lip is centered before you line up the sides. (by accident we had to drill two extra holes because we missed the center at first but the lip will cover up extra holes so its all good).

7. Now that the lip is on, move over to the sides. Mark off each spot where the bolt touches the bumper and proceed to drilling the hole with 7/32 drill bit. When you are done drilling, insert the sides into the bumper. You might have noticed when you were lining up the sides, the lip looked like it was short about half an inch on each side. Don't worry, it will hug the bumper once the side bolts are inserted.

Once inserted, drill two more holes with smaller drill bit (don't recall the size) where the lip connects to the wheel well.

8. Grab another sip of your beer

9. Proceed to get under your car. I started by tightening the washers behind the two bolts in the front. Then tighten the two bolts on the side. Caution: Left side was just fine as there was plenty of room to work with, however, right sides was not so easy. If you have small hands, you might get away with not taking off the wheel well cover. I had to remove it so I can install the washer and properly tighten it.

10. Almost done, the lip has four connection points underneath the bumper. Once you have everything tightened, drill the holes for those connections. Use 7/32 for drilling. Insert supplied clips into the openings.

11. You are done, put the cover back on, drop the car to the ground and enjoy a beautiful lip that you just did yourself. Oh and make sure someone is watching the grill so your burgers don't burn

If you have any suggestions for this DIY, please reply as this is my first DIY ever created. Happy modding to all.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Great job and very detailed DIY. The lip really changes the whole look of the sedans. I love mine and am glad Ionic is making a replica for those who want one as well.

BTW LS FTW!!

Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks, it definetely changes the look. I like it alot and it looks like it was supposed to be there from the start

Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great, glad you got it on.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks awesome. Since most people will do a search and come to this thread, I am attaching the OEM instructions here as well

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
CROYCE992 (04-17-2014)
Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job

Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
nice job! where did u buy it from?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
thanks, picked it up from a member on here that is local to me. Worked out super good

Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 AM
awesome, i am planning to order mine today..;-D

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
you will like it, congrats.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
^ thanks, cant wait, just waiting for west coast to wake up..;-P

Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
can u tell me how the rubber weather stripping lining is attached to the lip. they seem to be installed on all oem lip kits. at first i thought it was some kind of heavy duty double stick tape but after my other posts and reading ur dyi its not a tape but instead somekind of rubber lining. so i guess its safe to say all oem kits dont use double stick tape cus they seem to all have this rubber lining and are held on by bolts/clips.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, I believe its glued on it and I didn't have to do anything to attach it. It came attached.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
you need a drop

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM
lol, it is dropped on Z suspension (springs/shocks). Unfotunately, that is all I can work with in WI since this is driven year round.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY - 05/06 G35 OEM Front Lip install