Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

footwell light on a 04 g35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
footwell light on a 04 g35

I did use the search tool. but the only few posts are ridiculously complicated looking

I bought 2 led strips wanna use as footwell light on my 04 g35. Now I have no idea where to plug them so it will turn on/off as the door opens/ closes. Do I Really have to take everything apart? I thought it's a plug and play

Well I AM a noob and never did any alternation to cars before

Old 05-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
No modification? Go buy a flashlight then haha. This mod is in my future too. It adds class to the interior. I'm gonna go see other cars to see how OEM does it.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
I assume they have 3m tape so you can pretty much mount them wherever. As for the "plug and play" im assuming they have and red and white or red and black wire pigtail. Thats what your gonna use to splice in to somewhere that will have em on when you want them.

If you want them on when the car is on, splice into the cig lighter cable/wire.
If you want them on only when the door is open, splice into the wire where the courtesy light on the door is.
Hell if you want them on when your turn signals are one splice em into the turn signal wire, but your gonna need some lengthy wires for that

When you do the splicing first off you are gonna have to disassemble some panels to reach the wires that your gonna have to splice into. But when you get to em, your gonna have to slice through the plastic to reach the copper wire where your gonna have to make contact with your led strip wire. Obviously its gonna be red (power) to another power. And the other wire may be grounded.

Now if you wanna have a switch to turn em on whenever you on, your gonna have to reach a wire out to the battery. Heres a good write-up of a switch on/off led strip footwell light on a VW
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Foot-Area-L...uide-a/207.htm

Good luck!!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!!!! I think I want it wired with the courtesy light.
ahhhh now I need to figure out how to take the panels off

Originally Posted by jbwrecked
I assume they have 3m tape so you can pretty much mount them wherever. As for the "plug and play" im assuming they have and red and white or red and black wire pigtail. Thats what your gonna use to splice in to somewhere that will have em on when you want them.

If you want them on when the car is on, splice into the cig lighter cable/wire.
If you want them on only when the door is open, splice into the wire where the courtesy light on the door is.
Hell if you want them on when your turn signals are one splice em into the turn signal wire, but your gonna need some lengthy wires for that

When you do the splicing first off you are gonna have to disassemble some panels to reach the wires that your gonna have to splice into. But when you get to em, your gonna have to slice through the plastic to reach the copper wire where your gonna have to make contact with your led strip wire. Obviously its gonna be red (power) to another power. And the other wire may be grounded.

Now if you wanna have a switch to turn em on whenever you on, your gonna have to reach a wire out to the battery. Heres a good write-up of a switch on/off led strip footwell light on a VW
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Foot-Area-L...uide-a/207.htm

Good luck!!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like a good idea!

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...l-removal.html

^^door removal and then the courtesy light is in the bottom of the panel!

Post up pics when you get this done!!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I recently did this but I didn’t mount the led strip inside under the dash. I used it to replace the courtesy bulb by installing it at the bottom of the door panel just behind the clear plastic lens where the stock light was.

Check out picture # 15 on the sticky that jbwrecked put up. It’s this one http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...otorDIY014.jpg which is the pic of the courtesy bulb location from the inside.

The picture right above is the lights connector. One side is positive and one is negative. I soldered the wires of my led strip directly to the clips that the stock bulb is installed in with the bulb is removed.

The + wire on the courtesy light connector is orange with a silver dot.

If you can find the orange wires where they enter the vehicle from the molex plug you can just tap into them for the led lights + connection. Then just ground the other wire and you’re good to go.

Now I am trying to mount some accent led’s on the interior but I want them to cycle with the map lights. I have no idea where the wires are but I’m going to start a thread to see if I can find out.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
How do you splice into door courtesy lights ? what equipment and tools will i need . Is there a write up ?