Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

splash guard installation help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
splash guard installation help

I have tried to search for some "simple" instructions concerning splash guard installation but cannot find any detailed information. Does anyone have time to give a below average mechanic some help with this procedure? The guards I ordered from Grubbs came in no problem but there is no hardware or instructions in the box. I know Grubbs is expecting to send these items to a real mechanic or body shop but I would love to save the money and intall these myself if I can.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickebob
I have tried to search for some "simple" instructions concerning splash guard installation but cannot find any detailed information. Does anyone have time to give a below average mechanic some help with this procedure? The guards I ordered from Grubbs came in no problem but there is no hardware or instructions in the box. I know Grubbs is expecting to send these items to a real mechanic or body shop but I would love to save the money and intall these myself if I can.

Thanks!
Well they should have come with both instructions and hardware.
You should have the correct screws and clips that are required.
Anyway....they are very easy to put on. The instructions say to remove the wheels. Not required, I just turned the fronts in the opposite direction of one working on.. The holes you need to make are only thru plastic, no metal.
I took a sharp pick and just punched mine thru, no drill used.
Hold them in the proper position, mark holes, punch thru plastic, install clips in place, peel off tape strips, position, install screws and your done.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, the instructions come w/ the guards. But any how, just place them like they should look (you've seen pictures of them) ... and then, clean up the area.... remove the adhesive and pressure it on... then... lift the car (or for the front ones, just turn your tires in) and drill a hole through the plastic then screw in the screws and you are good to go!!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:24 PM
You need the hardware and the instructions will be helpful. I would call back Grubbs, and have them send everything to you. Good luck!!!

Old 01-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed my splash guards because one was scratched from below. I followed instructions that came with the splash guard and had no problem. If you dont currently have splashguards installed, you will need to drill a hole in each side.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my splash guards arrived without instruction or any hardware. I will call Grubbs today and see if they can send me the missing items.

Thanks agian...

Old 03-03-2005, 01:47 PM
did you get those splash guards installed?

I am ordering my splash guards for my G today through my dealership. The price is pretty fair ($120 for the set) so I opted to go for them.

I think I read two different versions of how to install these bad boys:
1. Mark holes first, then stick them on
"Hold them in the proper position, mark holes, punch thru plastic, install clips in place, peel off tape strips, position, install screws and your done."

2. Stick them on, and just drill!
"...place them like they should look (you've seen pictures of them) ... and then, clean up the area.... remove the adhesive and pressure it on... then... lift the car (or for the front ones, just turn your tires in) and drill a hole through the plastic then screw in the screws and you are good to go!!"

My questions-
So which is better? or which offers less chance for my to f**k this up?
OldVFRGuy or anyone, so I can use an ice pick or something to punch through the plastic rather than drill?
In #2 it mentions lifting car (for rear, I'm assuming)...is that necessary?

Thanks!
Larry