Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tail light overlays before/after, install tip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tail light overlays before/after, install tip

just installed Bat's GTR style tail light overlays. Do NOT buy the cheapos off ebay. Buy BAT's only. The cheapos were cheap, but they baked on and bonded with the light , so I had to use 180 grit sandpaper to get them off, then the progressively finer paper and 3M polishing kit to restore them. Bat's do not do bake on.

Also, I have a BIG tip for installing over lays, especially the GTR style with cutouts. First get the cutouts lined up around the lights, then work outward from there to smooth out the overlay. Obvious in hindsight, but I didn't think of it until the second one. But the real BIG tip is to use HOT water in a spray bottle with a drop of soap on both sides to stretch them out and over curved surfaces. This way it both stretches and doesn't stick prematurely.

Do not use a heat gun, it's too hot. And a hair dryer just drys it out too fast and makes it stick before you can get the wrinkles out. But HOT water works really well. Just take your time and work from the center toward the outside and keep stretching it until there are no creases and it lays flat, THEN move another centimeter toward the outer part. wash, rinse, repeat.

Or just hire Ryan at ohhellajdm to do them for $50 (a pair I think). he did my headlights, but didn't have time to do my tail lights at the same time so I did them. http://www.garageworks.co/index.html

three photos are: before, after GTR overlays, and after emblem delete (it was painted black but now it's gone).

Attached Thumbnails Tail light overlays before/after, install tip-image-6-.jpeg   Tail light overlays before/after, install tip-image-4-.jpeg   Tail light overlays before/after, install tip-image-8-.jpeg  

Last edited by luke42179; 07-07-2013 at 12:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by luke42179:
dukehotty (07-07-2013), Jimster (08-01-2013)