Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fog light bulb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by erickLA
So I ended up buying a new HID bulb because I wanted more of a white/blueish color. Since the original is 4300K I went with a 6000K. At the same time I purchased a fog light bulb and side marker bulb that would match. My question now is, is it hard to replace these? How would I go about doing it? The side marker bulb I'm not worried about, I'm worried about the HID itself and the fog light bulb. They should be arriving next week and once they do I would like to install them.
Just replace all my lights this weekend, so I'm familiar.
Easiest way for me was to jack up the front, take off both tires, and remove the front inner wheel liners. Might want to get a pack of extra fender push pins as there were several missing, several broken, and a couple that I jacked up pulling them out.

To replace the low HID beam and the fog/Hi beam, once you take off the front inner wheel well liner, you will see two plastic black caps, about 3" in diameter, covering the back of the housing, just unscrew them and you can see the bulbs. The bulbs will have an electric connector, just pull if off, and a little metal clip holding them in place. Pretty easy to see how to unclip it, looks like a paper clip, just squeeze it off of it's metal notch. Hard to explain, but you'll see.

Side marker bulb is easy, just unscrew the bulb about 1/8 of a turn and the connector pops out. Easy swap, the whole side marker is just held on by a couple of spring clips, but be careful as these too can break.

It may be possible to do it by just turning the steering wheel to full lock, cutting the tire to max angle to allow access, but I like having plenty of room to work with.

Overall, it's not that hard. Just be safe jacking the car off the ground.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
That is def the best way. I did my fog/highs without doing that and I didn't get the screw down cover on the right one all the way back on. After a year enough water got in to it and caused the ballast of the HID to short out in the plug to the bulb. A little contact cleaner and a good stainless steel brush fixed it.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
lol he's trying to replicate every driver conversation lately
Urbs got some jokes
I see. sheesh he coulda been alittle nicer about it. he called me a handicap. I was offended

Old 01-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchman
Just replace all my lights this weekend, so I'm familiar. Easiest way for me was to jack up the front, take off both tires, and remove the front inner wheel liners. Might want to get a pack of extra fender push pins as there were several missing, several broken, and a couple that I jacked up pulling them out. To replace the low HID beam and the fog/Hi beam, once you take off the front inner wheel well liner, you will see two plastic black caps, about 3" in diameter, covering the back of the housing, just unscrew them and you can see the bulbs. The bulbs will have an electric connector, just pull if off, and a little metal clip holding them in place. Pretty easy to see how to unclip it, looks like a paper clip, just squeeze it off of it's metal notch. Hard to explain, but you'll see. Side marker bulb is easy, just unscrew the bulb about 1/8 of a turn and the connector pops out. Easy swap, the whole side marker is just held on by a couple of spring clips, but be careful as these too can break. It may be possible to do it by just turning the steering wheel to full lock, cutting the tire to max angle to allow access, but I like having plenty of room to work with. Overall, it's not that hard. Just be safe jacking the car off the ground.
Thanks for the information! I'm looking forward to installing these. What type of bulbs did you go with(color wise)? Do you like the outcome?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by erickLA
Thanks for the information! I'm looking forward to installing these. What type of bulbs did you go with(color wise)? Do you like the outcome?
Replace the low beam with Philips X-treme D2R bulbs, claim to be 50% than the stock "regular" Philips. And they are, I would say they are double the light of my stock bulbs, which could possibly be the ten year old ones from the factory.

Also replaced the fog/Hi beam with Philips X-treme halogen bulbs, which claim to be 150% brighter... which I would say is also a fair estimate. The low beam is a nice, wide pattern, and the high beam is really bright, puts out a "spotlight" beam that goes really far.

Color match is not perfect, HID D2R is around 4800 and H4 fog/high is around 4200.

Also replace the front side markers with some black frame, clear lens markers. Much better output than my old "smoked" lenses that seemed to "suck" water every time it rained. Seal on the new ones is much better, so hopefully no more foggy lenses.

Bought a set of led bulbs for everything else, probably 6K, and swapped out everything from the reverse lights, tag lights, trunk light, dome lights, markers, door puddle lights, etc.

Overall, much better lighting than before.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
I see. sheesh he coulda been alittle nicer about it. he called me a handicap. I was offended
You, offended ?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fogs

Replace the low beam with Philips X-treme D2R bulbs, claim to be 50% than the stock "regular" Philips. And they are, I would say they are double the light of my stock bulbs, which could possibly be the ten year old ones from the factory.

Also replaced the fog/Hi beam with Philips X-treme halogen bulbs, which claim to be 150% brighter... which I would say is also a fair estimate. The low beam is a nice, wide pattern, and the high beam is really bright, puts out a "spotlight" beam that goes really far.

Color match is not perfect, HID D2R is around 4800 and H4 fog/high is around 4200.

Also replace the front side markers with some black frame, clear lens markers. Much better output than my old "smoked" lenses that seemed to "suck" water every time it rained. Seal on the new ones is much better, so hopefully no more foggy lenses.

Bought a set of led bulbs for everything else, probably 6K, and swapped out everything from the reverse lights, tag lights, trunk light, dome lights, markers, door puddle lights, etc.

Overall, much better lighting than before.
So, Hatchman you don't have the yellow fogs anymore? And could you please place a picture of them up. Really interested in how they look.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Low beams no fogs

Low beams with fogs

Low beams with high beams , notice they have the "spotlight" effect

Low beam and fog lights

The following users liked this post:
6691IIWK (02-17-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Low beams no fogs Low beams with fogs Low beams with high beams , notice they have the "spotlight" effect Low beam and fog lights
Not yellow fogs.

The white light looks nice!

The following users liked this post:
Hatchman (01-31-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 06:27 PM
So, last week I've changed my bulbs and this week.. Just a couple days in, my driver side headlight bulb wouldn't function. The passenger side works great. I was thinking it might be the bulb so I replaced it with another one. Turns out, it didn't work. When I first installed the new bulbs, I guess I didn't tighten the fog light cover and came loose so now I have water on the inside of the lens because of the rain that's been happening in my area, could this be the problem? The fog light still works though so I'm confused. I'm getting another replacement headlight bulb tomorrow to see if I so happen got a bad replacement bulb, hoping it's just that. Any help with this would be great.

Fog light bulb-image-3974550618.jpg

As you can see there's water in there, figured with the headlight working, it could dry it off but I may be wrong. And it doesn't look like it's from the outside so I'm positive it's from the inside. What can I do about this problem I'm having? Don't want to get pulled over for only having one headlight working. Haha.

Last edited by erickLA; 02-05-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Please stop turning on headlights. You are just risking shorting out them. If you have bought a new pair of shoes lately take the packet that comes with them and place it inside your headlight. They are designed to absorb water.

Those need to dry, as for the bulb, move your good bulb from the other side and test the one you received in the good housing.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Please stop turning on headlights. You are just risking shorting out them. If you have bought a new pair of shoes lately take the packet that comes with them and place it inside your headlight. They are designed to absorb water. Those need to dry, as for the bulb, move your good bulb from the other side and test the one you received in the good housing.
So I was watching some YouTube videos and I ended up using a hair blow dryer. It worked perfectly, took out all of the moisture, It took about 30 min or so. Really hoping it doesn't come back though. The bulbs should be coming in today, I'll test them out like you suggested and I'll give you feedback on what happened Fog light bulb-image-1439046894.jpg While I'm waiting for the bulbs to come in, I switched the passenger headlight bulb that works to the driver side and it didn't work. If the bulb that works doesn't work on that side, then I'm afraid the bulbs coming in wont make a difference.. Could it be the ballast? If so, can I switch the passenger to the driver side and see if it works? Whats the problem?! Please help, thank you

Last edited by erickLA; 02-06-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:54 PM
UPDATE: Turns out that when I unscrewed the driver side ballast, water came pouring down. I guess water got in it when the fog light cover came loose. I dried it up good and when doing so, the bulbs came in. Right after I dried it, I installed the bulb and voila! It worked! Thanks for the help! Fog light bulb-image-1855623825.jpg

I don't like it how pictures come out when uploading them here, but as you can see the bulb is lit

Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Sorry for multiple posts but I still have a problem. I dry the ballast good and connect it, then it works right? But after a bit, the wires are leaking water onto the ballast which causes the headlight not to work and so I have to unscrew it again & dry it up, etc. then it works again. How can I prevent the wires from leaking onto the ballast while its screwed on? I've unscrewed it 3 times today because of this reason. I unscrewed it a last time & I'm leaving it like that till tomorrow, hopefully the wires fully dry up.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Please stop trying mod ur car for ur safety as well as the cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fog light bulb