Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Third brake light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Third brake light

Hey wassup Infiniti/Nissan owners,
A buddy of mine noticed that my third brake light was out. I was wondering if there is an easy way to fix this or am I going to have to buy another one? I dont find this to be a 'serious' issue but I dont want any chances of a cop pulling up behind me and pulling me over for some bs. I have a catback exhaust from Stillen so the amazing VQ sound may turn some heads.
I got a 05 G35x

Old 06-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Test it off the car. It may have as wiring or some of the LEDs may have gone bad.

The following users liked this post:
CHIEN05G35x (06-06-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Test it off the car. It may have as wiring or some of the LEDs may have gone bad.
^^^^^^
What he said.
Possibly bad ground

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
CHIEN05G35x (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can one of you guys send me a link on how to take it out?

Old 06-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I think you have to remove the top liner in the G35 sedans of the trunk to access the pull tabs.

Check the service manual: http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/

FWD section for the table of contents.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
There's several DIY threads about 3rd brake light removal on this forum. I followed one to repair mine. I used the version that has you remove the rear seats and rear window deck(?) to get to the light. Some people claim you can get to it through the trunk but you have to drill an access hole to one of the screws. The first time you pull your back seats and deck it takes a bit of time but by the 3rd time, it's quick. I repaired mine twice by replacing a failed diode (not one of the LEDs) with a part with higher voltage rating as recommended in a youtube video. But it failed again TWICE. So I finally replaced it with an LED bar you can get at almost any auto parts store that are used for various lighting applications like running boards. The pack I got had two LED bars with 5 LEDs. I think I spliced the new LED bar to the old wire harness and gooped the LED bar into the original brake light housing. I think one of the threads covered this specific LED bar replacement method as well. I had to do this to pass state safety inspection.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
It's way easier to go thru the trunk. Pull down the liner and drill a hole to access the screw.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The '05 Coupe is simple. Just pull down the back seat. Then press in on the back of the light with your thumbs and lift up. I've noticed mine goes out sometimes and I just jiggle the wire then unplug and re-plug and it works again. I've read that it may be a bad solder joint. What's weird is sometimes it's just dim. I failed inspection when I first bought the car and then took it home and noticed it wasn't even plugged in! Lol. Plugged it in, took it back, and passed. Still having trouble with it. I hear it costs $295 to replace it.

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 10-31-2017 at 09:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.