Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sparco 4-point Harness Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparco 4-point Harness Installation

Just wanted to do a quick writeup on my Sparco harness I installed this weekend. First, I want to point out that this harness setup will only be used for autocross racing and will not be used on the road or even track racing since I don't have a harness/roll bar installed. The dangers of a roll-over in autocross are virtually non-existant, but it is up to you to make the decision to run without a bar like me...

The harness is a Sparco Clubman 4-point snap-in. I purchased it with pads for about $115 if I recall correctly. The kit comes with four eye bolts which replace the factory seatbelt bolts, however, I found a simpler install. I found the existing loops made for child seats (found in the slots of the bottom rear seat cushion) are more than adequate for my purpose. By simply inserting the end of the harness (you have to insert sideways at first to fit) into the slit, you can get it to clip onto the metal loop.

Next, removed the two plastic covers from the rear driver's side seat rails and removed the smaller insert which covers the single bolt on each side of the rail. The bolts are easily removed with a 14mm socket. I purchased a length of steel (1" x 48") for $5 at Lowes. I cut off a 3" piece and bent it 90 degrees near the center of the 3" piece. Then I drilled a 1/2" hole on one end and a smaller one (didn't get the measurement of the bit) just large enough to accomodate the 10mm bolt from the seat rail. I found this was a bit too long, but it works. I made the second one about 2 3/4" long and made the 90 degree bend and holes the same way. I ended up honing out the larger holes just a bit so the harness would snap on a little easier. Then I ground off the harsh edges, primered and painted the brackets. We had some dark gray hammer finish paint lying around and that worked perfect. To install the brackets, I just removed the rail bolts and put the new brackets in place and put the bolts back in place. Now I can add/remove the harness in about 1-2 minutes depending on how long it takes to get the shoulder straps through the holes in the back seat! Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try the harness out at the upcoming autox in Cinci this Sunday! I'll attach pics in the next posts.

Mike

Last edited by CrazyMike; 03-01-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Here's some pics. The first contains the brackets I made. The second is the brackets installed in the seat rails. I forgot to mention to be careful when removing the left cover as it is easy to break off the two forward facing tabs if you force the cover too hard. It is a little crooked in the pictures 'cause I didn't quite put it in right. It looks better now... The third picture is the harness end as it is getting inserted into the rear seat. The next two pictures show the harness installed in the back seat...

Attached Thumbnails Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-brackets.jpg   Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-braketsmounted.jpg   Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-latchslot.jpg   Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-installedrear.jpg   Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-installedrear2.jpg  

Old 03-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Here are a few shots of the installed harness from the front...

Attached Thumbnails Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-harness.jpg   Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-harness2.jpg   Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-harness3.jpg   Sparco 4-point Harness Installation-harness4.jpg  
Old 03-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Again, I want to reiterate that they are to be used for autocross only, since this is not a safe setup for street or track use... Overall, I'm very pleased with the ease of install & I can't wait to try them out!

Mike

Old 03-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Nice job with the install. One of the guys from my car club has those same exact ones in his showcar accord, but, since it is a show car, they won't really be put to use like they could be. Have fun with yours!

Old 03-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks Good...

Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but I do believe the angle you get on the harness while using the stock anchors is an acceptable angle and since its a 4 point without an "Anti submarine" strap it should be fine for road use, its not really any different in a roll over than a stock 3 point