Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Door panel adhesive

Old 08-20-2017, 01:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door panel adhesive

The foam backed material is starting to come off the interior door panel on my 2003 (see photo). What is the best way to glue this back on? What products are recommended?

Attached Thumbnails Door panel adhesive-img_0320.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ErikNYC (08-31-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:00 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I've done pretty extensive repair on my own vehicle because the adhesive backing on MANY different components has deteriorated, my go-to has been Gorilla super-glue and only hitting the seams. It's quick and easy, lasts for years. The "correct" way to fix this issue involves complete takedown of the panel, tape off everything to prevent overspray, use contact adhesive to glue the foam back down to the base of the panel, replace any transition and trim pieces that were removed.

It's a long crappy process to do it correctly, if you just use a toothpick to apply a very LIGHT bead of superglue right at the point where the vinyl is peeling back and slowly work your way across the seam it'll look great and last a long time. Set up a fan, the glue takes roughly 15 minutes to kick, use the toothpick for everything. The Gorilla brand superglue is ever-so-slightly flexible when dry and doesn't crack like other brands of superglue that are very rigid when dry.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
DAP Weldwood contact adhesive. If you want anything to last in the heat you need to use something that is rated for HHR(high heat resistant). That's all the shops in my area use. Call around to some upholstery shops and they will probably sell you a bit of it instead of buying a gallon. I've done my rear panels and wrapped my entire dash with this stuff. If you really wanna do it right take the panel off and peel half the vinyl back, spray both surfaces with contact cement, wait til tacky, then roll that half back with a seam roller. Then, peel the other half back and do the same. If you take the whole thing off you'll probably have trouble lining it up perfect again

Last edited by FreshLikeAG; 08-20-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
ive used a syringe to suck up the adhesive and gently squeeze it into the open to get a good coverage

Old 08-30-2017, 10:29 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Neat idea ^^^that could be a handy trick

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.