Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Windshield wipers skipping

Old 07-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Windshield wipers skipping

My wipers are skipping like they are gonna fly off my car.. The wiper blades are new, the window is clean.. I just replaced the wiper linkage thinking that would help but it didnt.. Should I replace the arms next??

Old 07-27-2018, 11:31 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
There are two obvious reasons wiper blades skip, your windshield is not clean! When was the last time you "Clayed" your windshield...never? Like paint only worse our windshields get covered with all kinds of crud from the highway to every tree that drips sap! Every auto parts store carries some brand of clay for paint, it also works wonders on windshields. Clay your windshield wipe clean and then use glass cleaner and a Microfiber towel, now try your wipers. The other possibility is cheap wiper blades, all I ever use is Nissan blades, never had issues and they've lasted a long time!
Good Luck and enjoy the ride...Gary

Last edited by gary c; 07-28-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:42 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Check out Pinnacle Glasscoat, it's a glass treatment similar to Rain-X but muuuuuuuuch better. Doesn't get hazy when it oxidizes, lasts about 3 months in harsh environments, works super good at making the windshield.easier to clean and it also makes a much smoother frictionless surface for the blades to ride on.

I apply it to the front wind screen in two layers about 15 minutes apart then buff withe a microfiber towel until clear, all side and back windows and outside mirrors get a single coat, wipers themselves get a single coat.

Also add P21S windshield washer treatment to the washer reservoir since all washer soap is pretty crappy, this makes it GLORIOUS!

Double check your wipers though, just because they are "new" doesn't mean they are any good. They may have sat on the shelf for a decade, the rubber degrades with age just like a set of tires will.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
There are two obvious reasons wiper blades skip, your windshield is not clean! When was the last time you "Clayed" your windshield...never? Like paint only worse our windshields get covered with all kinds of crud from the highway to every tree that drips sap! Every auto parts store carries some brand of clay for paint, it also works wonders on windshields. Clay your windshield wipe clean and then use glass cleaner and a Microfiber towel, now try your wipers. The other possibility is cheap wiper blades, all I ever use is Nissan blades, never had issues and they've lasted a long time!
Good Luck and enjoy the ride...Gary
Window is clayed, cleaned with Maguire's glass cleaner and microfiber, where can you order oem blades online, i googled it but couldnt find anyone with them in stock

Old 07-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Check out Pinnacle Glasscoat, it's a glass treatment similar to Rain-X but muuuuuuuuch better. Doesn't get hazy when it oxidizes, lasts about 3 months in harsh environments, works super good at making the windshield.easier to clean and it also makes a much smoother frictionless surface for the blades to ride on.

I apply it to the front wind screen in two layers about 15 minutes apart then buff withe a microfiber towel until clear, all side and back windows and outside mirrors get a single coat, wipers themselves get a single coat.

Also add P21S windshield washer treatment to the washer reservoir since all washer soap is pretty crappy, this makes it GLORIOUS!

Double check your wipers though, just because they are "new" doesn't mean they are any good. They may have sat on the shelf for a decade, the rubber degrades with age just like a set of tires will.
Ill check them again

Old 07-28-2018, 05:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I went with the Rain-X Quantum blades they carry at Autozone, they have a better aerodynamic shape and resist hopping even at 100+ mph speeds when driving in Mexico. I replace my blades yearly and these come with a handy little "dot" that turns yellow after enough UV exposure to remind you to change blades.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:15 PM
I got Rain-x a couple times but they wouldnt stay clicked onto my arms and would fall off..

Old 07-28-2018, 06:18 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Are you sure they were installed correctly? Once that piece is locked in place there's no way it can pull backwards? Some of the Rain-X blades come with multiple attachment adapters for various vehicles but you absolutely MUST use the J-hook adapters for the G35.

The quantum blades already come with them installed on the blade so it's not an issue, and it has a protective locking cap that goes over the whole j-hook when it's done.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:17 PM
Are you sure they were installed correctly? Once that piece is locked in place there's no way it can pull backwards? Some of the Rain-X blades come with multiple attachment adapters for various vehicles but you absolutely MUST use the J-hook adapters for the G35.

The quantum blades already come with them installed on the blade so it's not an issue, and it has a protective locking cap that goes over the whole j-hook when it's done.
Are those the new rubber style, i only use the Bosch old school looking blades, the new ones are way to ugly looking to me lol And the rain-x ones i used before looked like the old school ones and they would lock on but i could unlock them with very little effort

Old 07-30-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Thumbs up You do know how to clean your windshield!

Originally Posted by Frankieg35
Window is clayed, cleaned with Maguire's glass cleaner and microfiber, where can you order oem blades online, i googled it but couldnt find anyone with them in stock
How far are you from a Nissan or Infiniti dealership? The cost is worth the quality, fitment and long life...Gary

Old 07-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Have you checked your AC motor for buildup? Might be related.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa dya talkin' about? I'm sorry. I'm having a super WTF moment. Educamate me.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Completely unrelated I helped him fix his stinky air conditioning. Just a joke. I couldn't figure out the skipping motors.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankieg35
I got Rain-x a couple times but they wouldnt stay clicked onto my arms and would fall off..
Are you sure they were installed correctly?
Kinda sounds like you're not installing them 100% correctly. The J-hook style is probably the most common and replacement blades usually work with J-hook style right out of the box. I can't remember the last time I had to use one of the many adapters they include (for a variety of cars). When you 'hook' it, you really have to push (?) the blade into position very firmly and it will make an obvious "click" when it's in place properly.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I took the big fan out behind the glove box and all the blades were black, cleaned the box and blades with a bleach mixture and ran a cleaner spray in the outside intake.. The smell went away for the most part, sometimes I get a faint smell but nowhere near as bad..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers skipping